Tools that have horrible smelling rubbergrips

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I wasn't sure where to post this question so I'll put it here.

Every now and then I'll run across a tool that has rubber grips that just smell horrible. I have a pair of wire strippers sitting here that smell like a skunk rolled around in a tub of sulfur. :sick2:

Is this stuff safe to handle with bare hands? The scent gets on everything it touches, including my hands. This can't be good.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Any specific Brand Name(s) ? ? ?

Or is it just typical Freight from the Harbor . . . .

:rolleyes:
_

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Eclipse 902-349 wire strippers and an unbranded tape measure. Not from the Harbor.

There have been other tools and gadgets with similarly odiferous rubber handles and parts.

LedTed

Enlightened
Soaking bad smelling plastic handled tools in denture cleaner helps. Maybe try that?

Burgess

Flashaholic
I remember Years ago,
I bought a new NEC Multisync 3D computer monitor.

(for you youngsters, this was a CRT type)

As soon as I removed the plastic covering from it,
everything just * REEKED * of heavy plastic smell ! ! !

VERY strong and over-powering !

Couldn't escape the pervasive odor ANYWHERE upstairs,
which is where I had my PC located.

I thought it would go away in a day or two . . . .

A solid MONTH later, It was still prevalent !
Not as intense as when new,
but still very noticable.

I've never forgotten that experience.
And I paid $$$ for that monitor, too.

bitslammer

Enlightened
Many plastic tool handles are/were made with Cellulose Acetate Butyrate. When that breaks down it produces butyric acid which has the puke smell. This is also the reason the seeds from female ginkgo trees smell awful when they rot on the ground in summer. Rotting butter will produce the same compound and same smell.

It's not at all harmful or toxic. There are many who say scrubbiing the handles with WD-40 will remov the smell for a while, but it will eventually come back. I have a toolbox full of old Craftsman Screwdrivers and the smell if strong when you open that drawer, but I just ignore it.

ven

Flashaholic
Need to look on the bright side...............loosing tools is a thing of the past, just sniff up and follow the scent :p

Stoneking

Enlightened
Just a suggestion, get some Plastidip and dip the handles rubber and all in it.
Or just remove the rubber altogether and make your own handle coating with the Plastdip.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Thanks guys. I have some old Xcelite hand tools that produce a urine odor after they've been sitting in a case for awhile, but it's not that odor. This is much nastier.

I'm seriously considering removing the handles and using Plasti-Dip or even Sugru in it's place.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not sure if this counts, but definitely my recently-purchased Victorinox Hunter XL. Nice SAK overall with one-hand opening blades and a couple of other tools. But the orange rubber grips stink to high Heaven! :sick2: