Nitecore MH27 - Review - Video and TONS of Pictures of Real Life Uses

heiden.jeffrey

Newly Enlightened
for submission in the Reviews forum

Review of the Nitecore MH27

The Light……

I just recently purchased the Nitecore MH27 and am so happy to have picked such a GEM!! I usually don't do a ton of research on lights and tend to buy them from word of mouth. This time I looked all over the internet to decide on this one. I spend a lot of time on the Nitecore website which has a ton of great information on all of their lights. I wanted a few things originally which included Long run time, Long throw and multiple modes so my requirements weren't to wild.

I don't have all the fancy light meters and digital measurement tools yet but I'm going to show you some video and pictures from real life scenarios that will make this review very relevant to most people and what they want to use it for.

Pros

• USB rechargeable
  • + and – Buttons to control brightness
  • Tail cap turn on
  • Long Throw
  • Multiple Brightness
  • Red Night Mode

Cons
  • No Middle mode between 55 and 250 lumen
  • Hotspot for up close use

The Specs are as follows
Max Output - 1000 lumens
Max Beam Distance - 462 m
Max Beam Intensity - 53500 cd
Max Run time - 28 h 0 m / 1.17 d

LED CREE XP-L HI V3
Battery - 1 × 18650, 2 × CR123
Special Modes - Location Beacon, Red/Blue Warning Light, SOS, Strobe

Length 154 mm / 6.06 in
Head Size - 40 mm / 1.57 in
Weight - 170 g / 6 oz

My First impressions when I received this lights were WOW! Just taking a look at the box and all the time spend on the creative on it was very nice to see. After opening this light up and holding it in my hand I was very impressed. Did I mention that I LOVE the + and – Buttons. This is the best feature that I have found in any flashlights. When you want to go up and down in brightness without cycling through all the modes its awesome.

Charging: (6hr Micro-USB) / or standalone 18650 Charger

Charging is made possible by a a simple Micro USB Cable that is included in the box with the light. Simply plug it into any usb outlet and you are on your way to charging.

Pros
+ and -
Cons

Video Review

REAL LIFE PHOTOS !!!!

I'm going to show a few pictures of real life uses instead of just having the light on my countertop.

Shot of light in hand

Beam shot in the sky

Joshua Tree light in sky

Joshua tree light in sky 2

Looking down a 250 ft mine shaft in Joshua Tree

Shot inside a mine in Joshua Tree, CA

Light painting my name with the mult color modes

Light painting a palm tree

One Lumen

Red

Blue

Green

My son Carter loves this light cause he can actually play with it when its on 1 lumen mode

Sitting on the tail cap and standing up on the lens

Close up of USB

Close up of + and – Buttons

Battery and Light taken apart

These 4 Shots were taken at the Same F-Stop and Exposure
F8 and 1/80 second and ISO800

1000 Lumens

250 Lumens

55 Lumens

1 Lumen

On a night hike with my dog 1000 Lumen

Looking down the trail 1000 Lumen

Last edited:

Wendee

Enlightened
Great pictures! And I never knew what people were talking about when they mentioned "light painting" but now I know! Very cool. I'll have to learn how to do that. Thanks for posting. :)

heiden.jeffrey

Newly Enlightened
Thanks yes you gotta give it a shot. its pretty fun and you only get one shot during each exposure so it makes it interesting.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many of your pictures are dual-use. They show the flashlight's capabilities, and also demonstrate creative use of photography. I really enjoyed the beam shots taken at the edge of a small cliff.

Nice job!

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^ +1 very good pics!

The mh27 was an awesome light. But they had to come up with the mh27uv!

heiden.jeffrey

Newly Enlightened
Your telling me! Ahhh. I just saw that UV model on Monday. Dang. It looks cool but I'm not sure I would use the UV too much.

I have been doing a lot of night hikes lately and I use the red and green a lot. The moon has been pretty bright here in San Diego so I haven't had to use a ton of light to see where I'm going. The 1000 lumen burst when you hold down the + for 1 second is so awesome for those noises you hear in the bushes, then you hold the - to get back to the red mode.

^^^ +1 very good pics!

The mh27 was an awesome light. But they had to come up with the mh27uv!

duffman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for posting this review. I am really on the fence between the regular MH27 and the one with a UV light on it. Decisions decisions.

heiden.jeffrey

Newly Enlightened
The one negative with the MH27uv is that the light will boot into uv mode when you hold the - and the power...... I like with the non uv model is that when you do the - and power it goes into red mode..... awesome at night when you only need a little light. I guess it just depends on what you will be using it for because the uv model still has red mode you just have to cycle through to get to it.

Thanks for posting this review. I am really on the fence between the regular MH27 and the one with a UV light on it. Decisions decisions.

NitecoreStore

Enlightened
The one negative with the MH27uv is that the light will boot into uv mode when you hold the - and the power...... I like with the non uv model is that when you do the - and power it goes into red mode..... awesome at night when you only need a little light. I guess it just depends on what you will be using it for because the uv model still has red mode you just have to cycle through to get to it.

You can treat the UV mode as a "moonlight" mode :D

It worked well with the P20UV when I tried to use it in the night.

NitecoreStore

Enlightened

The MH27UV has red blue and UV modes.

Billy Ram

Enlightened
Nice review heiden. I always enjoy a good review. These LEDs have come a long ways after buying my first in 2008. "A Surefire L5 Lumamax with 100 lumens output" The MH27 has become a most useful light having a powerful throw along with the right amount of spill that can be throttled back when very low light is preferred. The light combined with the NL189 battery along with the CPF discount was too good a deal for me to pass.
Billy

vincent3685

Newly Enlightened
Your telling me! Ahhh. I just saw that UV model on Monday. Dang. It looks cool but I'm not sure I would use the UV too much.

I have been doing a lot of night hikes lately and I use the red and green a lot. The moon has been pretty bright here in San Diego so I haven't had to use a ton of light to see where I'm going. The 1000 lumen burst when you hold down the + for 1 second is so awesome for those noises you hear in the bushes, then you hold the - to get back to the red mode.

Yes, a day after I bought the MH27 they came out with the UV model. At first I thought it would be much more useful and was dissapointed I didn't wait. Then I got on Nitecores' website and realized the green is also very useful in the woods for stealth and it doesn't attract bugs. Now, I think I would rather just get a dedicated UV or blacklight for forensic use and for sterilization purposes. Very happy with my standard MH27. Thanks Andrew and Amanda for a great deal.