fenix pd35 running vary hot!

blanex1

Newly Enlightened
hi,my fenix PD-35 seems to be running vary hot in its high mode! fact is this light runs hotter then all my other torches i own,and i was wondering why this is!i use ether a nightcore 18650/3400mah/3.7v or AW/IMR 18650/2200MAH 3.7v,man this sucker runs hot,any one no why this is!i have used these same battery's in my other flashlights and none of them come close to getting this hot!whats the reason for this! thats my question for the day,thank you.

ven

Flashaholic
Possibly in turbo it steps down, being on high which iirc is around 400lm, it will not step down from this mode..............if makes sense.
Lights tend to be thermally regulated or timed on turbo modes(this is just a burst or short use blast mode after all), lower modes are not, so will run and usually have to manually turn them down(if too hot to hold turn off or down a mode).

I am presuming its the high mode and not the highest mode(turbo) you are talking about, if turbo mode, it should step down after a few mins of use.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long does it take to get hot? At the max mode, we're talking about 1000 lumens which is 3 amps to the emitter and about 10 watts. The light should step down after 5 minutes and then it won't get so hot. It wouldn't be related to the battery but is a function of the power to the LED which is controlled by the electronics. If something is wrong with the electronics, then maybe that would explain why its abnormally hot. But without actually seeing the light, I'm not sure there is anything wrong with it.

normanbaker

Newly Enlightened
The same issue with fenix pd35 here, but i found out that turbo steps down when using longer than 15min in high lumens (1000lm). Thx for your help guys

MX421

Enlightened
The same issue with fenix pd35 here

Mine (2014 edition) also gets hot when compared to other similar lights i own (S30, BLF A6), but not oerly hot where i couldn't handle it. In winter, this was actually a good thing.

fenix1

Newly Enlightened
Hi blanex1,the PD35 2014 will transfer into the Mid brightness level after working about 30 minutes in the high mode.If your PD35 does not drop down the brightness level after 30 minutes,there may be something wrong with the circuit.pls contact our cs [email protected]. Thank you!

silverstock

Newly Enlightened
I bought 12 PD35's late last year along with a decent amount of extra lithium batteries for it. All of them work great, but I noticed that one of them would get REALLY hot after about 20 minutes and after 40 minutes it never automatically stepped down and was almost too hot to handle. We contacted Fenix and they had us send it back. They were great to work with. We got our replacement and it works just fine.