A little disappointed in my Nitrcore P12GT :(

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I am a little bummed out about the Nitecore P12GT, it runs low on juice pretty fast and the high mode that is regulated around 285 is not bright enough for what I need it for... In all honesty, the TK45 and the Nitecore EC4S have the output i need consistently, just not fond of the size. I realize the regulated consistant output on high mode is more important to me then the turbo mode that gradually gets dimmer as it gets hotter/battery drains. I prefer to have around 20k + candela on a primarily throw based beam but I am happy with anything over 15k lux... The size of the ec4s bugs me but the light I'm looking for may not exist in the brightness I want.

Why do I need a bright light?
1. Working in both pit and timber mines, when the turbo dims it gets annoying and in some cases dangerous.
2. I need to be able to see across the pit which 20k candela can do reach.
3. I need it to be used as a candle sometimes, mainly in the timber mines. It reflects off the granite so we can replace the drill bits or insert the explosive charge. I am not worried about it tail standing I can do that by leaning it against a rock or inserting it.

I have the Nitecore P12GT right now, it cannot deliver what I want on high mode and turbo is not consistent enough and dims in 2 minutes to output barely above high mode.

Again, not sure if the light I am looking for exists in the current time. The EC4S maybe be my only option and I'll have to live with the fact it is big. I was hoping that the Nitecore MH20GT would be a better choice. Or the light with the highest truly regulated high mode. I am at odds.

Please, keep it friendly and relevant.
Any advice, opinions, help and if be grateful.

ven

Flashaholic
Would you not consider a dual cell light(2x18650) as this will give you more run time and higher outputs. Like sustaining around 1000lm for example and shorter bursts of ~2000 ish lumens. Lights like the tk35UE for example, maybe the xhp50 would suit.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
How does it compare to the ec4s?

easilyled

Flashaholic
Have you considered the Zebralight SC600w MkIII Hi? I'm not sure if it throws to the extent you need but its supposed to be pretty impressive for its size.

msim

Enlightened
MH20GT might suit you better... Hi is rated at 400+ lumens at 3 hours with a 3400mah cell.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PD32 2016 is veery pocketable and likable but also gets super hot in Turbo mode super fast and only 14.4kcd.
Instead consider a 2x18650 light and stick with Fenix brand, simple stuff in professional quality.
Nightcore looks nice but quality is soso. Too many plasticky parts on the P12 ymmv.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
+1

FD40 uses 26650 battery which is capable to deliver more mAh. And, not paying attention to variable focus, it still decently copes with heat dissipation.

Thank you guys, really appreciate the help. These are much better options for my application. If you have any other ideas, feel free to post them.

I guess what I am looking for is the brightest light on high mode. So far, the tc12 is the brightest on high mode i could find but I don't trust their ratings.

Last edited:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zebralight MK3 HI might be an option to consider. A few members here have tested it at 18-19kcd and the turbo mode is around 1100-1200 lumens. It handles the heat very well and if conditions are right it'll keep the 1000+ lumens until the battery gives out. It doesn't step down but regulates temp on turbo so that it gives the highest output possible based on conditions it is in. Excellent tint, efficient and good size too.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you guys, really appreciate the help. These are much better options for my application. If you have any other ideas, feel free to post them.

I guess what I am looking for is the brightest light on high mode. So far, the tc12 is the brightest on high mode i could find but I don't trust their ratings.

There is a good old Olight R40 Seeker (26650). The review claims it has no time or temperature fallback.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's actually ok to be a little disappointed in NC. Try one of the forum recommended brands instead, like Fenix, ZL, or OL.

jal

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore was the first "real" light brand I found, and until I learned, thought they were great. Now that I've found Fenix and Zebralight, not so much. I do still like their EC4S, though; I have a role in events that have me walking around for ~7-8 hours a night, and two cells gets me through it. But then I don't run it on high very much during that time. I don't think the EC4S has the reach you want, though. I don't have a Fenix TK35UE, but have been told it throws better than the EC4S.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
It's actually ok to be a little disappointed in NC. Try one of the forum recommended brands instead, like Fenix, ZL, or OL.

WOW LOL, nothing can throw like the MH20GT for its size, at least, not that I am aware of. And the parasitic drain on my P12GT is in fact noticeably high. I want a new light, I never had a disappointment like this before.

I will look into the ZL and Fenix, thanks again guys.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I looked at the specs for the P12GT
1 hour high 1000 lm 25,000 cd.
5 hours medium 230 lumens unpublished cd.

I don't have a P12GT, but it looks like many other cigar shaped lights where the head is the same diameter as the body. I like that style very much for a general purpose light, because is has a nice broad beam and is typically good out to about 100 feet.

IF you want a more throwy beam, you'll typically need a slightly larger head, with a slightly deeper reflector.

You may do well with a P60 light, with an XP-L or XP-G2 emitter.

OR better yet with a C8 sized light.

Lumens are costly, in the terms of battery run-time. The more lumens, the shorter the run time. So a more focused beam, will have a higher cd, with fewer lumens.

The P60 dropins will have a tighter beam than the P12, and the C8 lights tighter yet.

For about $18 pick up a Convoy C8 driven at 2.8 amps, you'll get 800-900 lumens with a cd of about 35K. and on medium 1.12 amps (40%) you'll get about 400 lumens. unknown cd. but it will probably be close to your P12 on high, and you may get about 3 hours run time at 40%

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I have the KD C8, i HATE the modes though. Every time i turn on the light, it goes to a different mode. I have to wait 10-20 seconds so it wont switch to the next mode. I never use it because of this. I wish i could just swap the head out. I like it to stay on the same mode when i turn it on... the brightness is very close to my P12GT on the ceiling bounce test and throw is noticeably further, I was testing my lights today 1 miles from Area 51 at Dry Bed Lake in NV and it threw much further then the P12GT. The modes skipping is killing me though.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the KD C8, i HATE the modes though. Every time i turn on the light, it goes to a different mode. I have to wait 10-20 seconds so it wont switch to the next mode. I never use it because of this. I wish i could just swap the head out. I like it to stay on the same mode when i turn it on... the brightness is very close to my P12GT on the ceiling bounce test and throw is noticeably further, I was testing my lights today 1 miles from Area 51 at Dry Bed Lake in NV and it threw much further then the P12GT. The modes skipping is killing me though.

If emitter and output are equal, not a fair comparison, as the C8 has a larger head.
You can always assemble your own C8 with choice of emitter, driver, and modes.
Or you can pick the higher quality ones from Convoy, Jaxman, and XinTD.