Good article about EL and LEDs in today's WSJ

avusblue

Enlightened
Good article about EL and LEDs in today\'s WSJ

Link to Wall Street Journal article

Now I am a WSJ subscriber, but I am not sure if the above link will let you see the article if you aren't one. You may want to seek out a copy of the paper at a newsstand or at your workplace or local library.

The gist of the article is that new forms of ElectroLuminescent materials are currently being introduced, such as EL fabrics and moldable plastics, and that many interesting new products will soon hit the market. They showed a picture of a ladies' purse with an electroluminescent lining, to illuminate the interior. They talked about other applications including car interiors (having an elecroluminescent headliner).

A couple quotes:

"Light bulbs owned the last century," says Robert Kumpf, vice president of business development for Bayer Polymers, Americas. "Modern lighting technology will own the next."

"One such "modern" form of lighting, using LEDs, or light emitting diodes, is gaining prominence in traffic lights, electronics control panels and eventually even automobile headlights. . . . The $2.7 billion LED market will more than double to $5.5 billion by 2008."

"EL is another promising alternative to the incandescent bulb, though its potential is still unclear. Analysts haven't yet predicted its total market potential."

Regarding EL in handbags, the founders of the company profiled predicted ". . . . that eventually light will shine on the inside of even the most inexpensive purses. "In less than five years," Mr. Bree says, "interior light will be just as common in handbags as mobile phones are today."

Enjoy!

PS: BTW, the article did not mention Lumileds, or introduce the term "Luxeon Lottery". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dave

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Good article about EL and LEDs in today\'s WSJ

I saw that article too. I noticed that they repeated the myth that they don't generate heat. From what I recall about EL efficiency, for the amount of light produced they actually generate more heat than a typical incandescent lamp.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Re: Good article about EL and LEDs in today\'s WSJ

Yep, correct - couldn't get the link to work...you would think that the article "should" be available on the WWW somewhere, eh?

Latest posts