Problems with foursevens lights using rechargable batteries

pokelda2

Newly Enlightened
I have a foursevens qp2a-x aka the 2 AA battery quark light from foursevens.
Ive had problems with it randomly turning off and refusing to come back on, as well as it not switching modes when pressing the power switch.

Im using enloop AA rechargables which say they are 1.2 volt batteries and regular AA batteries are 1.5 volts, could this be causing some kind of problem with the light?

Also ive sent it back to foursevens twice with the same issue and they have mailed me back the same light after tightening the pocket clip retention ring the first time, and
a ring inside the tailcap the second time. Im not that mechanically inept that I wouldent think of parts being loose before sending it back.
The light has probably used a total of 4 sets of AA batteries since I first bought it so im pretty damn sure its not wear and tear causing the problem either.

Have any of you had these problems with foursevens lights and do you know if enloop AA batteries cause it problems?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure you have checked but I'm gonna say it anyway, have you checked the connections and contacts? Not just for being loose but also anything that would inhibit electrical flow? Even on the batteries? I once had a battery develop some oxidation on the button top and had to take a green scouring pad to it.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey

Hard to say what the exact issue is. We will look over the light and see. There aren't any issues with using Enloop's in our lights. We sent you a replacement light today pokelda.

Thanks
Reid

pokelda2

Newly Enlightened
I did see that, thank you very much!
Problems with my specific light aside I really like the quark especially the moonlight mode. Its great for that midnight walk to the bathroom or finding pets wandering around the house without blinding them or yourself. Also the switch between tactical and normal mode is a really nice feature to for if you ever need to deter someone or something from messing with you.

lightfooted, I did look at the batteries, I was getting the same problem with 4 different sets of batteries and I checked everything I could find for looseness corrosion debris and what not.
From what ive seen of other reviews of foursevens lights it looks like I just got a lemon.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest sending it back with the batteries you used and reference this thread.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Str8stroke, 4 Sevens is awesome at customer service. I use Eneloops for most of my AA lights, but just for a differential diagnosis you could run a set of Energizer Lithiums to see if you notice any difference. One other thing I have been doing for a long time is a small drop of Deoxit on all contact surfaces of the batteries. I rotate my collection so it gets done to all lights every 6-9 months along with cleaning the threads and relubeing the O rings. It is easy mindless work that can be done while watching the news or some other mind numbing activity and I was really surprised at how much less flickering/loss of contact, etc occurs. I agree with David-send back the light with the current set of batteries(this allows them to reproduce exactly what is happening and hopefully make a permanent fix). Perhaps I am lucky, but out of over 30 4 Sevens lights I have not had to send one back(I have dealt with customer service on a few parts, and they have always been the best to deal with)!

pokelda2

Newly Enlightened
Are there any other chemicals you could use besides deoxit? Anything that isnt specifically contact cleaner? (on the off chance that I have one of those chemicals laying around my house)