Fenix RC09: XM-L2(U2), 16340-cell, 550 lumens, magnetic charging,(beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
After the big RC40-2016 that I reviewed here, time to have a closer look at the "baby-member" of the RC-series. The RC09 is the tiniest rechargeable flashlight Fenix ever made (together with the limited RC09Ti) and is also the first Fenix that has magnetic charging. In this review I will share my thoughts about this edc-light, and I will compare it also to some lights that have equal output and size. Let's see how the RC09 performs!

the baby-member of the RC-series, the RC09
k36vll.jpg

that has magnetic charging
8zgviu.jpg

powered by XM-L2(U2)
s4qr9z.jpg

an "every-day-carry-light"
icpzma.jpg

As usual, we'll start by looking at the manufacturer specs:

Features:

· Utilizes Cree XM-L2 U2 LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
· Powered by one 16340 rechargeable Li-ion battery or one CR123A Lithium battery can be taken under emergency circumstance
· Magnetic suction charging port in the neck, one included 16340 rechargeable Li-ion battery
· Tailored magnetic charging cable also available in portable MICRO USB devices
· One-switch for fast and convenient operation
· Specialized two-position body clip, magnetic suction bottom
· Lock-out function avoids accidental operation
· Intelligent over-heat protection to avoid high temperature of the surface
· Low-voltage warning reminds when battery replacement is needed
· Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery installation
· Digitally regulated output maintains constant brightness
· Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
· Premium type
hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
· Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating

Dimensions:

· 72mm (2.83'') length
· 21.5 (0.85'') mm head diameter
· 45-gram weight (1.59 oz) excluding battery and charging cable

And the output specs:

dq4vps.jpg

Unboxing:

I'm happy that it seems Fenix has banned out their blister-packages. The RC09 comes in a nice, transparent box. Through the window we have a look at the RC09, the accessories, leaflets and manual are hidden in a white carton. I like these packages: it looks neat and attractive. The light and RC09 and the parts can be (re)stored neatly. Above this, the box is complete and ready to go: All parts you need are there! Have a look at the pictures that show what's inside!

this is the new Fenix house-style
23jog9k.jpg

an attractive transparent box
t8w9wj.jpg

almost all features are mentioned
6yk5c8.jpg

all-in: this package is complete!
2v86flz.jpg

Impressions:

First impression: A sweet little one! I'm a lover (and not the only one I'm sure off) of little lights like this. This is really a tiny rechargeable! And it's a Fenix, that means: Excellent built, machined, anodized and finished, and the well-known "sturdy" feels. I couldn't detect any defect at first look. The grey laser engraving is well done, but personally I don't like the CE and the trash at the tailcap engraved. I think this is needed because of the "rules", but it doesn't have the looks. The clip seems a big one because of the little length of the light, but is sturdy and will prevent against accidentally loss. The smooth reflector is clean and the XM-L2(U2) is perfectly centered. More about the surprising beam later in this review! The magnet in the tailcap is a handy feature to use the RC09 hands-free. The RC09 has stable standing (to use it as a candle) also because the lanyard hole on the side. Good point! The lubed threads run smooth and also inside the RC09 is finished well. Summarizing I can tell you the overall quality and my impressions of the RC09 are very good. Please scroll down for more impression-pictures!

the RC09, a tiny Fenix
30cq0s4.jpg

the clip is about two thirds of the light
4n90o.jpg

easy to carry, easy to hide in your hand
28m3j1x.jpg

the clip added on reverse here
vy7ia0.jpg

stable standing to use the RC09 as a candle
fbkv1v.jpg

the smooth and clean reflector
2yvtgsg.jpg

machining and finished (again) excellent done
2s63m87.jpg

runs on a 16340 cell
zxtqgw.jpg

mind to remove the cell protection!
2zsod20.jpg

personally I prefer a button that has stiff structure
jue3ar.jpg

not my favorite: the engraving at the tail
33u5ycy.jpg

a close up to the magnetic charging port
4lqf7o.jpg

the reflector brings a surprising beam
whim93.jpg

the well centered XM-L2(U2) led
10rod49.jpg

nice looks and black color!
2vrudld.jpg

a look inside the tube and the head
nayr8.jpg

stable standing, even with added lanyard
23uscq8.jpg

runs on 16340-cell
9qheg3.jpg

but CR123A can also be used
259j14x.jpg

hidden in the holster
27xgdjs.jpg

with added-on lanyard
2i1jmmo.jpg

blinking during the progress, steady when fully charged
11udzsk.jpg

the cable can charge the light and (for example) a smartphone, but not both at same time
2eogpog.jpg

hands-free working thanks to the magnet in the tailcap
105y9av.jpg

a "sweet" little Fenix
2q9cjth.jpg

User interface:

The RC09 is a lightweight torch that is easy to hold and carry. The shape of head (around the button) and the knurling at the body will give good grip. Because the clip is rather big, some users prefer to remove it and add a lanyard.

Charging the light works fine and without problems. Handy that the cable can charge a micro-usb device too. Charging both isn't possible. Normally, it takes about 1,5 – 2 hours to charge a completely empty cell.

Controlling the RC09 isn't a difficult job: All modes are controlled by the same button. To turn the light on or off a long press (about 1 second) is needed. When on, short presses will guide you through the four normal modes. This works all fine and without problems. But personally, I would like to see some extra features: For example instant-low / turbo and an illuminated button to locate the light in complete darkness. The button has some special functions too: Press and hold (both from on and off) to enter strobe. Good and safe function, that can be helpful in threatening situations. Also a good feature, and a must on an "edc-light": A quick double press will (de)activate the lock-out function. The light can be locked-out by releasing the head a little too. So, the RC09 is an easy light to work with, but I have some wishes that I would like to see in future!

Modes:

The RC09 has total four normal modes, starting with: LOW > MID > HIGH > TURBO. The spacing is good, but all Fenix –fans would like to see an extra mode (1 lumen or less). One special mode, STROBE, no SOS this time. To prevent accidentally-on, the RC09 has in total two LOCK-OUT-modes. The RC09 has LOW-VOLTAGE warning mode too: If stepped down to lowest mode, the light will blink (3 times every 5 minutes) to notify the cell has almost run out of power. As expected, no momentary-on here. So, most needed modes are there, but I would prefer some extra ones.

Overheat protection:

After about 5 minutes working at turbo, the RC09 will have a step down to high. If wanted, you can directly turn to turbo again. For me, turbo is a nice feature on a light like this, but I don't use it often for longer times, because tiny lights like this aren't made for this.

Size comparison:

A comparison to some lights that have equal size and / or output. This shows also how compact this rechargeable RC09 is. I took for this the PD22UE brother and the Klarus RS16 with XP-L led.

16340-cell, Fenix RC09, Fenix PD22UE and Klarus RS16
6du3o5.jpg

Fenix RC09, Fenix PD22UE and Klarus RS16
15ro2o4.jpg

Fenix RC09, Fenix PD22UE and Klarus RS16
2wpp9jc.jpg

XM-L2(U2), XP-L (V5) and XP-L
k0r80i.jpg

the tails: Fenix RC09, Fenix PD22UE and Klarus RS16
kcgh9s.jpg

Tint:

The coolwhite tint of the RC09 isn't bluish (like the PD22UE) and less neutral than the tint of the Klarus RS16. Check the picture below!

34j7mgh.jpg

Beamprofile:

As I mentioned earlier, the profile has surprised me. The combination of this reflector and the used led result in a big hotspot, medium corona and also a lot of spill. This will give the RC09 a nice, some floody beam with wide angle. Very useful at shorter distance, and that what a light like this is made for. The beam is clean, without defects. No PWM found at any mode. Please scroll down to see the outdoor pictures too!

Beamshots:

Will start my beamshot-session by shining at a white wall. Distance to the wall about 0,75 meters. Starting with the four output modes, followed by a GIF.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 1/125 sec, 35mm
2sbrfh4.jpg

fwslsi.jpg

9hnzex.jpg

egvl8k.jpg

GIF-picture:
2rpz6rm.jpg

Going outside now. I'll show you the output of RC09 when shining in the forest. Mind the wide beam here. After that some GIF's that show the RC09 against the PD22UE-brother and the Klarus RS16.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4.0 sec, 35mm
68zeo0.jpg

11kjnsz.jpg

208emwj.jpg

25gtloj.jpg

GIF-picture:
2pob4pe.jpg

the RC09 compared to the PD22UE, both lights at highest mode:
qnp4ex.jpg

the RC09 against the Klarus RS16, both at highest mode:
2q3674m.jpg

Location 2; tree at about 35 meters:
2qa0qio.jpg

Conclusion:

I can say it in a few words: The RC09 will replace my actual edc-light. This tiny, lightweight Fenix, that can easily be recharged, is built well, feels durable and has a nice profile and enough output. For the price of around € 65,- (in my region) you'll receive a complete package, ready to go.

Compared to the PD22UE, I would pick the RC09 because of the size, the magnetic cap and the beamprofile; but I prefer PD22UE's interface above the RC09's. Again I would ask Fenix for a moonlight-mode and an illuminated or glow-in-the dark switch.

The magnetic charging will ensure waterproofness and simple charging. Only contra is that you'll always need the special cable, this is the advantage of a micro-usb charging port. Maybe Fenix will bring this as an accessory, for example to take it with you as spare-cable.

I can recommend the RC09 for those who look for a new edc!

Special thanks to Fenixlight and KATO for providing the RC09!

Last edited:

proceed5

Enlightened
Thank you for your efforts and great review kj75.
I like my RC09 and RC11 a lot. Bought mine since early April 2016, especially liked the bright spill on both the RC09 and RC11
Well done Fenix.

Oh by the way, Fenix, if you are reading this message, please do not keep us waiting and please launch that Upgrade to the TK32 (XHP 35-HI, please please! [wishful thinking :twothumbs])

kj75

Enlightened
Thank you for your efforts and great review kj75.
I like my RC09 and RC11 a lot. Bought mine since early April 2016, especially liked the bright spill on both the RC09 and RC11
Well done Fenix.

You have both! What's the diffence between RC09 and RC11's beam?
Oh by the way, Fenix, if you are reading this message, please do not keep us waiting and please launch that Upgrade to the TK32 (XHP 35-HI, please please! [wishful thinking :twothumbs])
I think it will be upgraded to XP-L HI V3.....
My wish is TK61 with XHP35 HI....sorry for a bit off topic :whistle:

proceed5

Enlightened
You have both! What's the diffence between RC09 and RC11's beam?

I think it will be upgraded to XP-L HI V3.....
My wish is TK61 with XHP35 HI....sorry for a bit off topic :whistle:

LOL, yes, bought both the RC's at the same time.
Difference, the RC11 is a smaller version of the UC35 with slightly more defined center hotspot, a slightly more balance beam. It is light weight (just a bit longer than the Olight S2 by say 1cm) love the RC11 !!
It would have been better for Fenix to incorporate a magnet at the tail.

Oh Yes, I welcome the upgrade TK61 with XHP-35-HI.

Hmm, TK32 with only XPL-HI V3, if this is the case, I have mix feelings. I don't really like XPL-HI on large reflectors, from my eyes, it simply does not produce the usual nice brighter spill as those produced by an XML2-U3/U2 (example I find my PD32-2015 and Olight S30R Javelot are "confused" lights) I mean off course and unless Fenix really spend time experimenting and producing a suitable reflector to use in the upcoming TK32 with XPL-HI, then I suppose it will be Nice.

Best regards & thank you again kj75 for your efforts and review of the RC09.
Kindly do more review.

Alabama_Man

Newly Enlightened
I'm resurrecting this thread to add my feedback on this awesome flashlight.

It was my very first Fenix light, which I got as a barter-refund from a local hardware store (the guy was like "so, you can have your 50 bucks refund or a 75 bucks flashlight, your choice").
I was very intrigued in getting a small yet expensive flashlight- mainly because back then I had no experience at all in flashlight technology.

To make a long story short, the RC09 has become an inseparable, never-leave-home-without EDC light.
I carried it through storms, seasailing, mountain hiking, cave spelunking, fishing trips as a trusty main or backup light.
I even forgot it for 15 days in my car's glovebox under a fierce 50°C / 122°F sunlight, and it never once failed.

16340 cells do not last very long in turbo mode, but the low and mid light setting grant 50+ and 8 hours of light, which is awesome.
the 35 minutes of 500 LM turbo mode is almost negligible, but it actually turned extremely useful in a few situations.
Anyways, it is easy to carry a few spare batteries in pockets and backapcks, and they recharge quickly with cheap USB solar panels.

It's compactness, ruggedness and overall performance make it the best Flashlight I ever owned- and I have other Fenixes and LEDs too, but none compares to this tiny magic pocket tool.

Too bad they discontinued it.