Compact AA Headlamp with a low mode + red LED? - Australia

aim54x

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

Still on the search for a headlamp to complement my growing number of torches, its nice to be able to have both hands free to assemble camera gear + filters etc when I am out at night, and always reassuring to have both hands free when negotiating rocky shores in the dark.

My specific desires? Yes I have looked at the "to consider before you purchase"
-beam angle - flood (I have various torches - primarily Wolf Eyes, for throw)
-battery type/placement - AA upfront (1x AA is preferable due to availability and compactness of this form factor)
-beam tint - not a huge issue but warm would be preferable
-brightness - at least 100 lumen High setting, but more importantly would like a dim low mode (sub-lumen sounds interesting)
-runtime/regulation - I suspect mosts of the time I would be using the M and L modes so a few hours in H would be good, regulation is desired
-headband - simple around the head (ie no over head strap) for compactness
-interface - clicky or switch is fine, would prefer to be able to start in L or M mode
-price/reliability - I am shopping for a keeper and something that is weather/water resistant, I would prefer to spend less, but anything up to about USD 100 is viable.

Other desires
-Red LEDs will make this a good headlamp to have around if I am at an Astro meet, I currently don't have anything with Red LEDs.

I have looked at (these are all in the right ballpark pricing and available locally through LEDTorches, BrightNite or LiteShop which are local websites):
-Fenix HL50 - form factor, battery, modes - Low is not low enough
-Zebaralight H52/H502 - form factor, battery, modes - complex sounding clicky operation, questionable strap
-Spark SG5 - form factor, battery, modes, but locally it appears I can't get the NW variant, looks like a belt clip comes with it as well
-Nitecore HA20 - form factor, modes - bit bigger and 2xAA but has the Red LEDs
-Armytek Tiara A1 Pro v2 - form factor, battery, modes, switch operation, questionable strap (also ugly strap)

Are there any others I should be looking at? Any of these stand out as being better than the rest?

Thanks in advance

pblanch

Enlightened
I like my zebralight head lamps. Even though I only have 1 head, I tend to carry the 502 clipped onto my front pocket if I want some extra light.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always stick to Petzl and even more so as it is sold by one of the UK,s favourite bushcraft experts,good enough for him good enough for me.

Led Astray

Newly Enlightened
I got myself a Spark SG5 (neutral) with the optional switch-out lens to convert between floody and not-so floody. It is excellent, very nice tint and beam and well put-together with a nice UI. I tend to leave it floody and rarely use it as a headlamp, stuck a magnet behind the clip and attach to a metal object for reading at night, or in the top of my shirt.

I have others like the tikka (OK, but not up there with the rest of the market nowadays), all sorts of cheap bog standard ones I can give to the kids and not worry about and an Armytek Wizard if I really want a serious headlamp albeit it is 18650.

You should be able to get the Spark into the country without difficulty. The strap used to be fiddly to place the lamp into but that is easily got around, and may have been improved as I have had mine a fair while and not checked on recent developments.

D6859

Enlightened
See Xtar H1. It seems to have all the specs you mentioned. Tint is cool white tho. Also the beam is not floody enough but it can be fixed that with a piece of scotch tape over the lense.

I have one but something broke in it when I used too long 14500 and it flickers randomly. Xtar made new tailcaps to fix the issue with longer 14500's, but I haven't been able to get one. Mine serves now as my bedside reading lamp.

If not limited to 1AA only I'd go with Tac Gunner's suggestion. I don't own the headlamp but I'm going to get one when I stop being so broke all the time.