Zebralight

GODOFWAR

Banned
I want to buy a Zebralight SC5 Flashlight (1x AA Battery ) should I buy it or not is there any problems with it and does it last or is just a Chinese junk and If you advice me to go and buy one so what's going to be the cool white or the natural white? Thank you

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I just received mine last week (first Zebralight)... I'm really pleased with this light and enjoying it.

Very solid build quality, I like the customizable user-interface a lot, great beam profile (diffused hot spot blends nicely into the spill), and I love the tint of the Neutral White model (really makes a difference outdoors)...

Here is a thread discussion on this model:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?389315-New-Zebralight-SC5

If you search Zebralight SC5 on Youtube there's two reviews from cpfselfbuilt and WeAllJuggleKnives... Check those out...

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
What exactly is chinese junk? Zebralight isn't a no-name generic 5 dollar flashlight found on ebay search, if that's what you were thinking.

Last edited:

tops2

Enlightened
I got the SC5w and love the tint on mine. It's not too cool white, but also not too warm and yellow. Love how bright this light can get on just AA. Mine is super solid.

My only advice is really figure out why you're purchasing this light. There's some (including me) that feels the SC5(w) is a bit too big and heavy. So if you don't mind going to 18650, you can consider the SC600w MKIII (larger and heavier but much more powerful) or SC63w (for lighter and more powerful), or the SC52w (for smaller and lighter and just as powerful on the rest of the levels except for H1).

Otherwise it's still a mighty fine light.

GODOFWAR

Banned
I got the SC5w and love the tint on mine. It's not too cool white, but also not too warm and yellow. Love how bright this light can get on just AA. Mine is super solid.

My only advice is really figure out why you're purchasing this light. There's some (including me) that feels the SC5(w) is a bit too big and heavy. So if you don't mind going to 18650, you can consider the SC600w MKIII (larger and heavier but much more powerful) or SC63w (for lighter and more powerful), or the SC52w (for smaller and lighter and just as powerful on the rest of the levels except for H1).

Otherwise it's still a mighty fine light.

Cuz I love AA lights

jdhermit

Newly Enlightened
Solid light, man. Love mine. I got the neutral, but want the cool now. The neutrals are fine for some things, but maybe it's my eyes, but the cool is better for me when I want to really distinguish details. Could be just me.
Great light overall.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not own any version of the ZebraLight SC5.

If you would accept lower output and less throw, the high-CRI edition, featuring a Cree XM-L2 EasyWhite emitter (Typical CRI: 83-85, Nominal CCT 5000K), is a worth a look. It is the one that grabbed my attention. Max output is rated at 375 lumens.

My tastes tend towards neutral-white emitters. Recently, high-CRI has become equally important. For less than $10 USD, you can try out the Nichia 219B emitter, and see what high-CRI is all about.

Get yourself a BLF-348. That's a single-mode, 40-42 lumen flashlight that sports a sleek stainless-steel body and reverse-clicky tail switch. Nominal CRI is 90 (Ra). I got mine for $7 USD in a group buy that is still underway at BLF.

Last edited:

roger-roger

Enlightened
HCRI out in August it's looking!. Wait for that!.

What is the anticipated color temperature, 5k hopefully? Or is that what KeepingItLight is talking about above? Is this a planned release or wishlist?

Any warmer and I'll just order an SC5 cool white, and it'll live in one of my commuter backpacks for the motorcycle.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
What is the anticipated color temperature, 5k hopefully? Or is that what KeepingItLight is talking about above? Is this a planned release or wishlist?

Any warmer and I'll just order an SC5 cool white, and it'll live in one of my commuter backpacks for the motorcycle.

Sound like he was talking about the SC62d - 83CRI Philips Luxeon T LED (5000K).

And there is a new SC600Fd III Plus coming out in a few months. It will have the Cree XHP50 with 93-95CRI at 5000K. Sounds amazing! But it may be too floody for me with the frosted lens. I'll have to try it.

roger-roger

Enlightened
Sound like he was talking about the SC62d - 83CRI Philips Luxeon T LED (5000K).

And there is a new SC600Fd III Plus coming out in a few months. It will have the Cree XHP50 with 93-95CRI at 5000K. Sounds amazing! But it may be too floody for me with the frosted lens. I'll have to try it.

It it does sound amazing (SC600Fd III). I'm going to have to think really hard before passing that one up. :O)

markr6

Flashaholic
Thats the one I'm taking about.
i won't be passing that one up!.
Not a long wait now.

I recall someone asking and I think the response was August, but I'm not 100% sure. I can wait (but I don't want to!)

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
At 375 lumens max, I was referring to the ZebraLight SC5Fd. CCT is 5000K, and CRI is 85.

The upcoming ZebraLight flashlight is even more exciting. The ZebraLight SC600Fd Mk. III Plus will combine the high output of a Cree XHP50 emitter with a CCT of 5000K and a typical CRI of 93-95 (Ra).

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the SC5w and would recommend it if your looking for a multi-mode AA that can run on eneloop NiMH. Output is impressive for a single AA light without having to use li-ions. I am using standard eneloops but it would be worthwhile to get the eneloop pro for the extra capacity. My SC5w has survived numerous drops on concrete and is still working fine,it seems to be a pretty solid light. If you are not interested in using eneloops or another NiMH AA then the SC5 is probably not for you. Alkalines won't provide adequate power and leak too often anyway. Lithiums will work but I believe the SC5w might go through them too fast if you use the high output frequently.

MX421

Enlightened
Lithiums will work but I believe the SC5w might go through them too fast if you use the high output frequently.

If I'm not mistaken, the SC5 doesn't support Lithium-Ion (14500) batteries. The SC52 does though.

The latter is what i like, however, i have been considering a SC5 just because i am now obsessed with Zebralights after buying my first (an SC52 almost a year ago) :) I now have quite a few. My favorite are the 18650 class lights...

Anway, IMO Zebralight is top of the line, definitely not Chinese junk (although they are made in China via an American Company).

Last edited:

roger-roger

Enlightened
If I'm not mistaken, the SC5 doesn't support Lithium-Ion (14500) batteries. The SC52 does though.

The latter is what i like, however, i have been considering a SC5 just because i am now obsessed with Zebralights after buying my first (an SC52 almost a year ago) :) I now have quite a few. My favorite are the 18650 class lights...

Anway, IMO Zebralight is top of the line, definitely not Chinese junk (although they are made in China via an American Company).

Doesn't it support the L91 lithium primary? Would be nice to have more details on its performance or lack there of.

jondextan

Newly Enlightened
I've had an SC5w. Replaced it since with an SC52w i got for cheap. I was so happy with the SC52w, i found a deal and got another SC52w L2.
Super great with 14500 or AA. It just doesn't work with Eneloop Pros.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the runtime chart for the Energizer Ultimate Lithium (L91) battery that selfbuilt published in his review of the ZebraLight SC5. The magenta line is the SC5.

Output/Runtime Graphs:

Note that all my standard runtimes are done under a cooling fan, as always.

SC5-Hi-L91.gif

recDNA

Flashaholic
Looks like about 15 minutes on HI? I don't think the pro does much better. Of course the pro can be recharged so L91 is an expensive option unless running on lower modes.

It's really weird the sc52 doesn't work well with eneloop pros. Anybody know why not?