Is There An 18650 Light That Has Non Conductive Case?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know a guy through work that is an elevator repairman. He carries a Streamlight and thinks they are the king of flashlights. He might be inclined to move up from a Streamlight Strion, but he has to have a non-conductive case due to the nature of the work that he does. Who makes 18650 LED flashlights with a non-conductive cases? Are any of them close to 1,000 lumens yet?

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know a guy through work that is an elevator repairman. He carries a Streamlight and thinks they are the king of flashlights. He might be inclined to move up from a Streamlight Strion, but he has to have a non-conductive case due to the nature of the work that he does. Who makes 18650 LED flashlights with a non-conductive cases? Are any of them close to 1,000 lumens yet?

I guess this is a self denying request. Polymer or rubber are so poor heat conductors that they just cannot contain a powerful heat source which a 1000 lm LED definitely is. If that kind of a flashlight would exist, it would fry itself in a couple of minutes if not quicker.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I guess this is a self denying request. Polymer or rubber are so poor heat conductors that they just cannot contain a powerful heat source which a 1000 lm LED definitely is. If that kind of a flashlight would exist, it would fry itself in a couple of minutes if not quicker.

Never had any issue with a xp-l drop in, not sure of the actual lumens but must be around the 900-1000 mark. I ran a quad xp-g2 in mine for a while, not on full power though for any time, just the lower 2 modes mainly. The light is alloy inside, just the(well the P1 anyway) is polymer on the outside so traps heat in more than dissipate it. Its a good option for tough environments where drops and dings are a daily thing, just not ideal (or the best option) to be used in anger with higher output drop ins(custom types).

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other helpful thing would be if any of these can charge the battery while it is in the light via Micro USB.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only reliable light that comes to my mind is Surefire (never thought I could write this) G2X Pro which is rated 320 lm. But it is still got anodized aluminum bezel.

P.S.: Sorry, I am wrong. Its head IS aluminum... Heat dissipation issue.

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
In theory hard anodized aluminium cases are not conductive either ... :devil:

They are conductive inside with all their internal joints except thin anodizing layer of the external surface :) And I suspect that 380V AC production voltage would easily penetrate that layer.

Who knows the electric field strength for electric breakdown of anodizing layers?

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
No metal on show mr lover, the alloy is on the inside.

And all those ventilation gaps... And sweat and dirt and micro metal debris from hands... And 380V (or even more) == fireworks :)

BTW, I know the perfect solution... Tada!!!

71QYR0pp2RL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are conductive inside with all their internal joints except thin anodizing layer of the external surface :) And I suspect that 380V AC production voltage would easily penetrate that layer.

Who knows the electric field strength for electric breakdown of anodizing layers?

i haven't done any research on this but I doubt the polystinger is able to resist 380vac either. Besides, if you are working with high voltage, you want professional gear catered to that field.
FSzI2Dx.jpg