CPFItalia COMETA 2016. Dangerous to use? What?!

Wendee

Enlightened
I received notice that my CPFItalia Cometa would be ready for me to pick up at the post office today at 1:30pm. I was very excited! This will be the first 18650 battery flashlight that I've received.

I couldn't find any posts on CPF about anyone receiving this flashlight (although it seems some have ordered one).

I did a Google search and found some posts on a different forum that state "WARNING" about this flashlight and it seems that it has to be "modified" before putting in the battery? Really? I have no idea how modify a flashlight! I've never even used 18650 batteries before and I'm already so nervous!

I saw posts (posted last week) that say things like "carried out the required mods to stop it from blowing up". WHAT? "Blowing up"? Seriously? Another member posted "Certainly not a safe design".

I was already nervous about using 18650 batteries and now I'm way too scared to use this flashlight.

I'm not a member on the other forum so I can't ask any questions about the flashlight over there.
Does anyone on CPF have any information?
Has anyone on CPF received their COMETA yet?

I was so happy & excited an hour ago and now I'm just scared. I don't know what to do now. :help:

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had my Cometa for over a month. I used it out of the box with a 4000MaH 26650(longer run times than the 18650 which also works just fine) I used mine for over a week before the warnings started popping up and had no problems at all. HOWEVER, there are a small number of the lights where a poor design flaw does provide the potential to short out the driver(I am not aware of a single incidence of "blowing up or battery failure". I would recommend signing up as a member on the other forum(takes two minutes), and there is a detail procedure to fix it that has step by step instructions and matching pictures. It is something I believe anyone can do even if you have never "opened up" a light in your life. I took a rubber "grip" pad used to get a better grip when opening jars and cut a quarter size piece to use as the "fix". Dropped it in place and hand assemble everything except the brass retaining nut, but that a pair of tweezers can accomplish that part easily). The entire procedure was less than 10 minutes. Without rewriting the entire process all you are doing is putting a "non conductive barrier" between the driver and the top of the battery because some flat top batteries have a larger area of contact and their is a slight possibility that solder on the driver MIGHT touch the top of a wide flat top battery. It is sad because this is one of the most awesome flashlights I have owned and I love it. If you review the procedure and really don't feel confident in attempting it you can send it back to have it done for free. Sadly the thread has so much clutter it takes a while to really see that it is a "minor flaw" that a few people tried to make into a life changing big deal. The light has so much to offer and in 10 minutes you will have no fear of using it. I now have several lights with ToyKeeper's programming and it is the best I have seen. If I can help any further PM me. On other tip-some people complain of a "rattle" when using the zoom, a couple of wraps of Teflon tape solves the issue and is not visible.

Last edited:

Wendee

Enlightened
...... The light has so much to offer and in 10 minutes you will have no fear of using it. I now have several lights with ToyKeeper's programming and it is the best I have seen. <snip>

Super! I'm so glad to read that. I thought it was an awesome light and I was so excited to get it.

So you had no issues with your Cometa and the "fix" really works. Perfect! I did see the post with pictures to "add a piece insulating trip" and that someone used a piece of plastic "milk bottle container" which to me, sure didn't sound "safe" enough and I didn't know if it would really work. Now that I know you used the rubber from a jar opener (I have one of those I can use), I think I'll give it a shot! I really want to keep this flashlight.

Yes, the thread over there is so cluttered with other technical "stuff" and arguing that I couldn't get a clear understanding of this issue. I wondered if there was more to it than what was mentioned in the top post. Thanks for telling me in plain english. I appreciate it.

I can't believe the first 18650 flashlight I receive has to be modified! Unreal. I plan to order some 26650 batteries for the Cometa once I get used to using the 18650.

So if I do the fix, there's ZERO chance that this flashlight will "blow up"?

I'm heading to the post office soon and I'm going to try the fix as soon as I get home. I might post a picture of what I've done, or take you up on your offer to PM you (thanks!) to confirm that I've done it correctly.

Thanks again! Much appreciated! :)

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't be scared of "modding" your light. You never know it might start you on a whole new path.
Good Luck! And let us know how you get on.
P

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, DON'T be afraid of 18650s. :) They are used in EVERYTHING from laptops, rechargeable tool battery packs and even electric cars. They are VERY safe if taken care of. The problem with the Cometa as you have now read is the poor quality of the manufacturing which leads to a short condition, that is what the problem is.

mdorian

Newly Enlightened
Good quality protected 18650s are not dangerous at all. I have NEVER seen a single thread where a brand name cell exploded or vented with force with photos as proof (trolls are always around). There are however, some threads with xxxfire cells turning really hot, venting, even catching fire.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought two CPFItalia Cometa flashlights. Like you, I was disappointed to learn that a small number of these flashlights have dangerous defects that can cause a direct short-circuit of the battery.

There are three issues that I am aware of.

First, is the one you wrote about. With some batteries, it is possible for the positive battery contact to touch the retaining ring on the back of the pill. When this happens, the battery is short-circuited. Flat-top batteries are the biggest offenders.

The simple fix is to cut a doughnut-shaped piece of plastic that fits around the spring at the positive end of the battery. That allows the battery to touch the spring, but prevents it from touching the retaining ring. I made mine from the plastic lid on a microwave-safe tray for hot food. It is a disposable plastic container used by the deli of a local supermarket. I figured it would be better able to stand heat than other plastics I had around.

Now that I am writing this up, I think I should go back and make another insert that does not have a hole for the spring. I would like to test, and verify that the plastic is doing its job as an insulator. If the flashlight won't work at all, then I can cut a hole for the spring.

The 18650 sleeve that comes with the Cometa makes a good template for drawing a circle of the right size. I used scissors to cut mine out, and an "Exacto" knife to cut the center hole. I believe that some have used a drill to make the same cuts.

Several BLF members report that the seller Banggood, upon request, has sent them a plastic disk for this purpose. I have not done that. As yet, I have not made any request of the seller. I am holding off on that until I make a final decision on just what—if anything— I want from the seller.

By the way, the first sign of trouble is when you insert a battery and discover that the tail cap won't light up. If that happens, unscrew the tail cap immediately!

The second issue with the Cometa concerns the black, parabolic disk that screws in over the emitter. It has a hole for the emitter. The black surface prevents internal reflections in the flashlight head that can cause artifacts in the beam. By artifacts, I mean rings, dark spots, and so on.

In most Cometa flashlights, the disk works fine. It screws in above the emitter board, without touching it. In some Cometas, however, the disk rubs against the solder joints that connect wires to the emitter board. The disk is anodized, so it is an insulator, but it only takes a small amount of abrasion to scratch through the anodization.

If that happens the disk can become an electrical pathway to ground. When the positive lead on the emitter scrapes through the anodization, it creates a short-circuit from the driver output to ground. That is a dangerous short-circuit.

A lesser concern is what happens when the negative lead from the driver output is short-circuited through the parabolic disk. That does not cause dangerous short-circuit, but it will cause the driver to temporarily stop working. The flashlight then becomes a direct-drive flashlight that only has one mode, the turbo mode.

Although several owners have reported scuffing of the anodization, with some including photos, as far as I know no actual short-circuits have occurred through the parabolic disk. It is, nevertheless, a problem that needs to be addressed.

Several fixes for this have been proposed. All of them involve insulating the parabolic disk from the emitter board. Those with soldering skills have also flattened the solder joints where the wires are attached to the emitter board.

As yet, I have not implemented any of these. Nor have I attempted to unscrew the parabolic disk. In my case, I inserted a plastic disk at the positive end of the battery, and then verified that the tail cap was lighting up. Next, I briefly flashed the light on and off several times. As it correctly powered up in moonlight mode, I surmised that there were no shorts.

As a double-check, I quickly ran through all the modes, from low to high. When I was done, I took out the battery, and checked to see whether the tail-cap spring had heated up. Overheating is a sign of a short-circuit. Be careful touching the spring. If it is overheated, you can burn your finger. Finally, I ran the light on high for a few minutes, and then checked the tail-cap spring once again.

These tests may be insufficient for long-term reliability. Eventually, I plan to install another insulator between the parabolic disk and the emitter board. At present, I am waiting to see how things settle out. The seller may eventually offer free fixes of its own.

The third problem with the Cometa is the diameter of the emitter board. It is not quite large enough for the shelf in the pill where it sits. This makes it possible for the board to be improperly centered when it is installed. The close proximity of the wire connections to the edge of the board can be a problem in some flashlights. If the solder blobs are large enough, and the emitter is off-center, one of the blobs can touch the edge of the pill. If the positive connection shorts out, you get the same dangerous short-circuit described above. When the negative connection shorts, you lose flashlight modes, as described above.

When the emitter board is off-center, it is also more likely to rub against the parabolic disk as described above. That's because the disk has a nipple at its center that protrudes down towards the emitter. When the emitter board is not centered, one of the two solder connections will be moved closer to the nipple (while it's opposite member is moved away). This can lead to scraping between the solder joint and the nipple.

Enough with the problems. Last night, I took both of my Cometas outside, and had some fun with them! Beam intensity, when my neutral-white versions are focused, is probably around 150,000 candela. That is a conservative guess. I have not measured. If right, however, that would convert to an ANSI FL 1 beam distance of about 775 meters. Compare that with the 900 meters claimed in the spec when you buy the Cometa with a cool-white emitter.

By the way, I usually divide FL 1 beam distances by a factor of 4 in order to get the distance at which my tired eyes can make out a distant object. That gives the distance at which 4 lux fall on the target. Others here divide by a factor of 2 or 3.

Whatever factor you use, I can report that the Cometa throws a long way! Besides the BLF Kronos X6 and the ThorFire C8s, both of which are 1x18650 compact throwers, I do not own any dedicated throwers. That makes the Cometa the longest throwing flashlight I own. Equally impressive is its unfocused beam. It is super wide, just what I like best about zoomies.

Here is a YouTube video that shows how to dismantle the Cometa. Thanks go out to BLF member Jeansy for posting it.

DISCLAIMER: I have described the things I did with my Cometa flashlights. I am not a flashlight engineer. I cannot guarantee that the things I did are safe or that they will work for you. Any repair you undertake with the Cometa is AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Last edited:

Wendee

Enlightened
I bought two CPFItalia Cometa flashlights. Like you, I was disappointed to learn that a small number of these flashlights have dangerous defects that can cause a direct short-circuit of the battery.
There are three issues that I am aware of.... <snip>

Thanks KeepingItLight. I just read your post. Oh boy, three issues? So even if I fix the first issue, there are still two other dangerous issues.

I'm sad to say that I'll have to return this flashlight. It is my first 18650 flashlight and I don't think this is a good "beginner" type of project. I'd always be worried and afraid to use it (even if I somehow 'fixed' it).

Thank God I saw that post this morning about the "warning". What if I hadn't? I didn't see those posts before ordering the light (I don't think the issue had been discovered yet). I wasn't searching for that type of post, I just wanted to get someone's first impression of the flashlight (which of course I thought would be a good impression).

Being that I'm new, this could have ended very badly as I wouldn't have known (the point you mentioned above) that if the tail cap light didn't come on, that meant danger. You said "unscrew the cap immediately", I wouldn't have. I probably would have tapped the tail cap or something (to see if it came on) then tried all the modes and played with the light. I also wouldn't have known to check the spring (to see if it was hot).

Even if there's only a "small chance" that something might be wrong with mine, I'm just too inexperienced to feel safe using the light. I'm so disappointed. :(

Here's a picture of it next to a pop can (for size reference). It's much smaller than I expected! It looks bigger in online pictures that I've seen (than it is in real life).

Oh, there was no instruction manual or any type of paperwork included in the box. I was surprised.

CPFItalia COMETA
COMETA%201_zps2ul0pxxr.jpg

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing to think of, if you are using a button top 18650, it would be really really hard to make contact to anything other than the spring(the holder also keeps it centered). May I suggest that you contact Dale of the other forum(Kronos), explain you are relatively new and are hesitant to try the fixes-he has been an awesome help on a couple other lights for me. There is even a chance he may offer to fix it for you, possibly for free but if not I am sure for less than shipping costs back to China. Then, in a matter of days you will have one of the most awesome Zoomers on the planet. I am getting ready to move, and one of my cats got scared and ran away. At 11:30 at night, the Cometa, emitting a tiny hot spot as I had it set, lit up my cat over 1/3 of a mile away. I am convinced it kept my baby from being a coyote snack. I have only done the most critical fix on my light, and have seen no sign of any other problems-thanks to the great response above I will revisit the thread to see if I missed anything but at over 4 weeks it has been flawless with nightly use(sorry Ven, I know, pictures or it didn't happen). Let me know how it goes, but the light is really worth the extra effort. I now have a number of lights from that other forum and the designs are awesome but as it goes from prototype to production there are still some areas that need improvement. That being said, I don't mind being a beta tester for the incredible low purchase price. Several members here and there have taught me along the way and I have gone from newbie to able to do some decent mods....

Last edited:

stephenk

Enlightened
Wendee - I'm also in the same boat. I purchased the Cometa with the not unrealistic expectation that it would work out of the box. I'm not an experienced modder, and do not have the tools (e.g. flat head soldering iron) to carry out all the modifications. As well as three potential safety issues, the are also issues with the host manufacturer, MCPCB board, driver size, and wire gauge all being different the original specifications. Thus I'm in the process of a trying to obtain a refund. It may be a fantastic light when it works, and would have been very useful to me, but I'm not taking the risks.

Whilst being unlucky with your first 18650/26650 light purchase, don't let it put you off li-ions. I reluctantly went down the li-ion route as I had light requirements (high-CRI 3000k tint) that were not available driven by alkalines/NiMH. Now I won't look back (maybe apart from headlamps). As long as you follow safety guidelines found in this forum (e.g. purchase high quality cells and charger with voltage readout) you'll be fine. Being a bit afraid of things is sometimes good as it means you are more likely to follow good safety practise instead of complacency. However, after the Cometa saga, I may now always first turn on a brand new flashlight outside, with a protected and not fully charged cell.

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting this thread Wendee, I was going to put something up today as I have had an eye on the other forum because of this light.

Thanks also to KeepingItLight for the detailed summary of the issues. Shame, because it's a fun light with really impressive output, small, and very cheap.

I've put mine away for now, and am hoping that there might be a repair kit put together at some stage. I'm happy to pull out the tools if I have all of the parts.

Ironically, I decided instead to fire up the only other 26650 light that I have, the X3vn, and fried that one! Bad day for 26650 lights! :D

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did you fry your X3vn? Send it to Vinh for repair.
Thanks for posting this thread Wendee, I was going to put something up today as I have had an eye on the other forum because of this light.

Thanks also to KeepingItLight for the detailed summary of the issues. Shame, because it's a fun light with really impressive output, small, and very cheap.

I've put mine away for now, and am hoping that there might be a repair kit put together at some stage. I'm happy to pull out the tools if I have all of the parts.

Ironically, I decided instead to fire up the only other 26650 light that I have, the X3vn, and fried that one! Bad day for 26650 lights! :D

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did you fry your X3vn? Send it to Vinh for repair.

I just turned it on FlashKat. I took apart the tail cap ( which I would love to swap for a clicky but I don't think it's made) thinking it might be an issue there, but no luck, just a sizzling sound from the driver.

I have a GX25A3 that I have been threatening to send to Vinh at some point, so I think that's good advice, I can send them both. [emoji106]:)

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sad to say that I'll have to return this flashlight. It is my first 18650 flashlight and I don't think this is a good "beginner" type of project. I'd always be worried and afraid to use it (even if I somehow 'fixed' it).

Even if there's only a "small chance" that something might be wrong with mine, I'm just too inexperienced to feel safe using the light. I'm so disappointed. :(

That seems a reasonable response. There will be other flashlights!

Besides, it sounds like you did not make your initial purchase at the group-buy price of $40 USD.

One thing to think of, if you are using a button top 18650, it would be really really hard to make contact to anything other than the spring (the holder also keeps it centered).

I am getting ready to move, and one of my cats got scared and ran away. At 11:30 at night, the Cometa, emitting a tiny hot spot as I had it set, lit up my cat over 1/3 of a mile away. I am convinced it kept my baby from being a coyote snack.

Thanks for pointing out that flat-tops are more of an issue than button-tops. I have added that note to my OP.

Like you, I have only done the first fix, i.e., I made a plastic disk that surrounds the spring at the positive end of the battery. As is the case with most owners, I do not seem to have any issues with the black, parabolic disk inside the head. Nevertheless, I will probably do something to insulate the bottom of it later on.

My flashlights are working great! Zoom action is a bit loose, but perhaps little issues like that are to be expected with a budget flashlight.

I love the story about your cat. Cometa to the rescue!

Last edited:

akhyar

Enlightened
I've configured my Cometa UI using button-top 18650 cell to be the same as my Kronos X5/X6 as the 26650 that I've ordered is still in the slow boat from China.
While my Cometa behave normally as per their specs, I'm not happy with the zooming mechanism as the screw thread between the body and the head seems to have quite a big gap.

The adapter host for 18650 battery is also of low quality, with quite a large gap that the battery can rattle inside the body.
I've also send a message to Neil of Banggood on the other forum requesting for the protective washer and he just replied "OK", so we'll see when I'll get the washer,

stephenk

Enlightened
As is the case with most owners, I do not seem to have any issues with the black, parabolic disk inside the head. Nevertheless, I will probably do something to insulate the bottom of it later on.
Unfortunately, my example had damage to the anodization under the black disk due to spiky soldering. Glad I checked it!