New 2016 (4th gen.) Streamlight Microstream with 45 lumens

Zmago Javornik

Newly Enlightened
Is there someone with 4th gen. SL Microstream?

This latest Microstream from the end of august 2015 delivers 45 lumens, 420 candela, 41m beam and runs 2.25 hours according to:
- http://www.streamlight.com/en-gb/product/product.html?pid=144#tabs
- http://www.streamlight.com/static/document/fact_sheet/320.pdf

I already have a bunch of Streamlight FL like the 1st and 2nd gen. TwinTask 3C, PolyTac 90, MultiOps, The Siege, ProTac HL USB, and so on and last month I ordered Protac HL 4 and 4th gen. Microstrem, and I am more thrilling about Microstream than about HL 4.

I expect, that Microstream will be more useful becouse of its EDC nature. I plan to use AAA lithium primary batt. for longer and more constant output, and I think 45 lumens are enough for lighting none or less dangerous operations like identification, car search, ... where two free hands are much better than one.

Any thought or concerns?

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The microstream is a very versatile pocket light. It'll be very handy for uses you cite.

I have never left one running to see how long it stays on. But for daily use 10-20 minutes at a times I get months of use from ordinary alkalines.

You only get a brief time from bright, to dimming to nothing. That and about 30° of rotation from tight locks it out would be the only concerns I can think of.

After several months of pocket carry with a number of metal items the lens is not noticeably scratched.
Nice little flashlights.

Zmago Javornik

Newly Enlightened
Maye some info about optional usage of 10440 batt. in 4th gen. Microstream? There is a lot of comments how 10440s doing great in 2nd gen. (28 lumens) and 3rd gen. (35 lumens) Microstream.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hmmm, I suppose if they work well in the previous generations...

I just toss any ole aaa in mine and when it plays out I toss in a different one.

Once I placed a battery that was too weak to run a wall clock and was able to get 5-10 minutes of light out at a time from it for a couple of weeks.

One night I needed more runtime so I tossed it and put in a fresh rayovac.

ncgrass

Enlightened
I use a MicroStream for searching in poorly lit rooms for items, checking for dirt/hair in rooms, help reading labels or other close in work where I can't get enough ambient light. I've had it for a few months and it's been fantastic - hasn't left my side since I got it. I believe it's the 2016 version with 45lm.

Haven't changed the battery yet but it seems well regulated as I haven't noticed a drop in output.

I've been very impressesed, but if you do need a fairly bright light perhaps 45lm won't be enough. Works great for me and has a superb pocket clip. Worth knowing the switch is firm.

Zmago Javornik

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I've been inquisitive because different output comes from different reflector, emitter or/and different circuit board, and this last component could make all the difference ... if changed could not be so 10440 friendly. In time I will surely insert one ... and hope it will work out fine.

ncgrass

Enlightened
I'd love it to be compatible. Sadly I have no idea, nor the ability to test. If you do end up trying that, please do report back on what you get