Found: Diffusers (flat & lantern style) that fit the Thrunite TN4A (& the Fenix E41?)

Wendee

Enlightened
Found: Diffusers (flat & lantern style) that fit the Thrunite TN4A (& the Fenix E41?)

When I was looking for a diffuser for my Thrunite TN4A, I found that I had to do a lot of searching (CPF posts & Google) because everything's scattered here & there. So, I'm creating this to have a single post that identifies diffusers, diffuser film and where I bought them, to save people from having to search around. Also, I couldn't find where to buy certain things and had to email the manufacturer, so I'll also add links (I believe that's ok to do?).

This information is probably common knowledge around CPF but us newbies have to dig around a lot at first. Oh, and I like to add pop cans to my pictures as size reference because I know it would have really helped me to get a better feel for the size of the flashlight. :)

My TN4A was purchases in April, 2016 and as per Thrunite measures 111.5mm in length, 45.5mm in diameter. I thought I should mention that in case a new model comes out with slightly different dimensions.

Apparently the items I'm posting about will also fit the Fenix E41, according the following post (thanks SelfBuilt!). His post also identifies other flashlights that different sized scopes will fit.
Link: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...TIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEOS-PROS-amp-CONS-and-more!

These are the items I bought for my Thrunite TN4A:

1. Butler Creek Blizzard See Thru Scope Cover, Size #7 (1.80 to 1.89-Inch)

- The lens is clear so you have to add diffuser film (see below for film).
- Fits perfectly out of the box! No modification required.
- Pliable grippy rubber so it's easy to put on/take off & doesn't fall off.
- Flips open/close so you can keep it on the flashlight if you want to.

Purchased from: Amazon.ca

Price: ~ $8.00 US on Amazon.com & ~$11.00 on Amazon.CA

Link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...Thru+Scope+Cover,+Size+#7+(1.80+to+1.89-Inch)+

2. Diffuser film (to cut & apply to the scope cover lens)

Purchased from: CPF member Phaserburn who kindly sells single 4" x 8.75" sheets (the size of a #10 envelope) as a service to other CPF members, so you don't have to buy an entire roll! What a guy! Thanks Phaserburn!

Price: See his post (good price!)
Link: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ion-Film-CPF-Service-amp-Int-l-Shipping-Avail

3. XENO TW42 Flashlight Traffic Wand Diffuser Cap

- You need to modify it by adding 2 layers of electrical tape so it fits properly.
- I couldn't find anything that would fit any better than this one. Also, it's very sturdy (good quality). I like it.
- It fits a bit big without tape and it will fall off if tipped/tilted. Also, without tape it covers the power button a little. With tape, perfect! Doesn't cover power button and won't fall off.
- I couldn't find anywhere to buy this diffuser and had to email Xeno to find out. Shipping from HongKong only took 7 days, wow!

Purchased from: hkequipment.net
Price: ~$12.75 US
Link: http://www.hkequipment.net/product-p/tw42.htm

Here they are:

1%20tn4a%20diffuser%20GROUP_zpskkxwa89e.jpg

^^ Picture Above from left to right: AA battery, Blizzard Creek scope cover (diffuser film added), Xeno TW42 diffuser, Thrunite TN4A, pop can for size reference, diffuser film (showing peel-off side).

2%20scope%20merged_zpshtlbolpg.jpg

^^ Picture above: Butler Creek Blizzard See Thru Scope Cover, Size #7 (with diffuser film added) on the Thrunite TN4A

3%20lantern%20merged_zpsc8s5n3qx.jpg

^^ Picture above: XENO TW42 Flashlight Traffic Wand Diffuser Cap on the Thrunite TN4A

Last edited:

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Found: Diffusers (flat & lantern style) that fit the Thrunite TN4A (& the Fenix E

One Day Soon ... Wendee will be a CPF fixture!

[ Thanks for the info "Wendee! + your "approach"]

Wendee

Enlightened
Re: Found: Diffusers (flat & lantern style) that fit the Thrunite TN4A (& the Fenix E

One Day Soon ... Wendee will be a CPF fixture!

[ Thanks for the info "Wendee! + your "approach"]

Thank you lightlover! That was so nice to read. You're very kind :)

I just realized that my post is in the wrong area. It's in "LED" for "component specs, tech, binning, usage, etc". ....sigh. It seems that I just can't "move" it. I guess I have to delete it and start over in the correct area "LED flashlights". Arghhh...this stuff takes me forever to do. Oh well.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Neat fix, thanks for the info! Now if I ever get a light in this size range I know where to go for a diffuser and traffic wand.

stephenk

Enlightened

Well found information. I can +1 for Phaserburn's diffuser film, diffuses perfectly, and good service.

Can anyone recommend a lantern diffuser for a 72mm diameter head (Convoy L6)?

bugblatter

Newly Enlightened

Just stumbled across this and it seems it will be very useful for me. The pics were very nice. Thanks Wendee for putting this together. I got the TN4A NW in 2015 and it seems to have the dimensions you listed. (First-time poster here.)

FYI: Amazon now has the scope cover you listed at 6.59+tax (it's a prime-eligibile add-on item, so shipping depends on what else you buy).
Phaserburn isn't currently selling the diffuser film according to the thread you linked to. Amazon has the roll at 12.96+tax prime-eligible, which is way more than I need. Lithium466 is offering to take over in the thread, but since I can't PM yet, I'll apparently have to wait until I have some more creative things to say here :)

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fyi I found a universal diffuser for multiple sizes on kaidomain for not much money, it goes on my Klaus g30 nicely and was great out camping, it will fit anything from 25ish to 50ish mm

bugblatter

Newly Enlightened

Fyi I found a universal diffuser for multiple sizes on kaidomain for not much money, it goes on my Klaus g30 nicely and was great out camping, it will fit anything from 25ish to 50ish mm
Interesting, I think I see the one you're talking about. It has four legs that you pull apart and over the head of your flashlight. It's nice that it fits such a wide range. Is it easy to put on and take off? I've never ordered from kaidomain before, but I assume you've had good luck with them. Thanks. I like the scope cover idea that Wendee/selfbuilt talked about better for the TN4A, but I might consider this too for general use.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah four legs that's right, well your prizing apart the plastic legs to fit the light, the larger the light the harder it is. However it comes in two pieces so you can fit the base and use normal beam then throw on top when you like.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just use an old OxiClean™ MaxForce™ Gel Stick Pre-Treater lid with a slip of tape to make it 0.5mm tigher, scuffed it up with some sandpaper. Free and easy...I also can vary the amount of diffuser I want from flush to fully extended. If I loose it...meh,

bugblatter

Newly Enlightened

I just use an old OxiClean™ MaxForce™ Gel Stick Pre-Treater lid with a slip of tape to make it 0.5mm tigher, scuffed it up with some sandpaper. Free and easy...I also can vary the amount of diffuser I want from flush to fully extended. If I loose it...meh,
haha, that's very homemade/diy! good idea. maybe i'll have a look around the house for some clear caps/lids that will fit.

bugblatter

Newly Enlightened

Thanks again zs&tas for your suggestion. I really liked it and did a review in case anyone was interested.

Originally, it seems to have come in a two-diffuser retail package: one cone/wand type and one flat/filter type. I think kaidomain takes it apart and sells them separately (no retail packaging, just plastic baggy). I got both.

The reason it took so long is kaidomain is -slow-. The 1st diffuser took 16 days (to USA, not terrible), but the 2nd took 32 days after that (bad, but it got here) and they don't give tracking. Use code 'kd5off' for 5% off. Using Paypal+credit card, my bank charged me a separate 3% foreign transaction fee, no big deal except it was a mystery since I'd never seen it before (fyi).

$5.67 KLD-PC2 Diffuser for 22mm-50mm bezel flashlights-White (wand type)
http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S024302....-Diffuser-for-22mm-50mm-LED-Flashlights-White

For 22mm-50mm bezels: Uses tension of 4 base legs pried apart and around bezel
. Seems strong enough to last, but not sure if repeatedly install/remove the base

Blunt-nose wand type; white (vs frosted/translucent), hard plastic
. Excellent wand-ish diffusion

Comes in two pieces: the base that clamps to the flashlight, and the diffuser cap
. Allows you to pop off cap when desired, or exchange caps (cone vs flat diffuser)
. BUT: The cone cap comes off too easy if bumped (needs a workaround, like scotch tape, etc)

Fits tn4a (~45.5mm) particularly well
. Power button fits almost exactly between two of the base legs (see pic)
. Base fits tightly

Looks cool: I prefer the blunt cone look, vs the long traffic wand

To install:
. Slide the base on from the back of the flashlight
. Pull it out past the bezel by the desired amount (if any, according to your preference)
(If you're adjusting this later, remove the cap first; otherwise it's too easy to pull the base all the way off the end)
. Pop the desired cap on

$5.67 KLD-PC Diffuser for 22mm-50mm bezel flashlights-White (flat type)
http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S024527....-Diffuser-for-22mm-50mm-LED-Flashlights-White

This 'companion' diffuser (filter/flat type) to the above cone differs as follows
. Plastic base has same shape, so cone/flat caps will be interchangeable
. Made from different plastic: translucent (vs white), more flexible/bendy
. The flat cap grips the base a little better (with little tabs) than the cone
. As you can guess, it has more throw than the cone (which lights up the immediate area better)
. Makes beam very floody, which is what I was looking for

Compared to the Butler Creek scope cover + DC Fix diffusion film (mentioned by Wendee above)
. While the flip-on scope thing is pretty slick (more convenient/durable too), it doesn't really make the tn4a any more floody (as I want)
. The hotspot is nicely smoothed out, but the main beam isn't any wider
. In contrast, the flat cap here gives you lots of flood, is cheaper and simpler to do

Links
. Detailed product page (+video) of original SRK 2-diffuser (cone+flat) retail pkg (always OOS)
www.dx.com/p/srk-r-288-portable-universal-pe-diffuser-shades-for-flashlight-white-233926
. yt review showing original SRK 2-diffuser (cone+flat) retail pkg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQxi9jqfN_o

Photos
IMG_0827_zps1502264a.jpg

IMG_0828_zps90b249c4.jpg

IMG_0829_zps542316d3.jpg

stephenk

Enlightened

Fenix have quite an extensive range of diffusers. Have those been considered?

bugblatter

Newly Enlightened

Fenix have quite an extensive range of diffusers. Have those been considered?
I did look into Fenix, but I couldn't find one in this size. The ones I looked at were in their AOD line. It's hard to find a spec for what kind of bezels they fit, as they only state the Fenix flashlight models they fit in their spec. Not sure why they wouldn't want to make/market them for non-Fenix flashlights. I googled around and found:

AOD-S: Blunt-nose frosted cone $5: For 21mm-25.4mm bezels. Too small for the tn4a (about 45.5mm).
I actually bought this for my tn12 (25.4mm) and it fits ok (perhaps it's a bit too small). It looks like it has stops molded in for three specific (Fenix) models. For some reason it's noticeably dimmer than my scuffed Nitecore NDF25, but I wouldn't recommend that one either as it's translucent (so I had to scuff/file it up a bunch), and it started cracking all around the rim after a day (too tight, inferior plastic, but shaving down the plastic with a knife might mitigate).

AOD-M: For 34-40mm? Apparently also too small.

AOD-L: 63mm? Apparently too big. I don't know if it fits a range or just that one size.

I've probably missed something, so fill in the gaps on their product line if I have, or correct any spec misstatements above.

Last edited: