What have i missed? Whats new and improved these days?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Due to other obligations, issues and financial priorities, I haven't bought any new lights in over 3 years. But that certainly didn't leave me empty handed because I had purchased quite a few lights between 2011-2013. I also haven't kept up with new products or innovations in LED technology(aside from 120v light bulbs, which I have purchase and lightly tested).

Just now I had found a link to an Olight S10r II, and I read some of a review here from last year, and couldn't help but notice that it uses a new LED.

So I thought I'd start a thread asking about what's new and improved. I obviously don't expect anyone to type up a history lesson about LED technology from 2013 til now, but it would be helpful to me, and hopefully other not-so-well-informed viewers to read some basic facts or opinions on which newer lights have stirred things up the most, whether the newer line(s) of LEDs are better than the previous XM-L and XP-G families, and whether flashlights have generally improved in very recent years.

Thanks in advance....

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on the nonsmoking too. You saved enough to buy some lights! Lol

Ok, I don't have too much time to write a long post unfortunately. Maybe tonight I can come back and fill in some blanks. I will sorta shoot some highlights.

Maglite is now making some pretty decent LED lights. They still have the cool white tint, but the work great for the money.
Led tint seems to be a big wave now a days. MOST everyone seems to like the Nichia 219 style leds. They can be nice and warm.
Lots of lights now have triple leds. You can even mix up the leds.
Copper lights seem to be more popular now.
4sevens has a new light that you can use a App on your Apple phone or iPad to work. called the Smart Quark. That is pretty neat. I enjoy mine camping. You can put it on your night stand, or sink and use your phone to work it. Pretty freaking cool. It isn't for everyone, but it is for me.
Mac is just now shipping lights that were ordered in 2011. LOL couldn't resist
Overready has some really killer triples now. Their P60 drop in is a WALL OF LIGHT! and fully programmable.
Vestureofblood, has some killer maglite mods and lights, plus his Convoy triple is killer
Cool Fall has a New Spy Tri-V version 3, and just released a updated 007 Spy.
Vinh, still has some killer upgraded lights.
Sinner is making some great hosts/lights out of Ti, Copper and other metals. They are one of the best values out there now for full custom work. <-----That is my humble opinion.
Nitecore has a really nice upgrade to the EC lights. The EC11 is a neat 900 lumen flame thrower that runs 18350s. Speaking of that, there are lots more 18350 lights out there.
Efest has some pretty good 18350 cells.
Xstar has some popular chargers and batteries now.
Lighthound went out of business :(
There are lots more lights that have built in chargers: docks, and USB.
Oh, CooYoo is making some nice small necklace or keychain lights with USB charging.

Go look at the Custom builders and modders. You can see some of the new work out there.

That is all the time I have.

swan

Banned
A couple to ad to the list-

I think the introduction of the cree XHP 35 50 70 series of led is an important innovation.

Up until recently all standard production lights with a single cell using a xpl or xml2 emitter could produce a max of 1100 lumens and seemed to of reached their potential. These xhp series leds through the use of newer boost drivers will give light manufacturers the ability to achieve up 2500-3000 lumens in a small, 3.7v single 26650 18650 cell / led set up. To my mind this is a major advancement in brute output, which was previously only available in a bulky, multi cell/emitter light.

HI Intensity emitters -The introduction of the Cree HI Intensity emitters have proven very popular now, the hi,s basically doubled the cd over the standard emitters. These are also available in different tints which avoids the tint lotto of dedoming yourself.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I've also noticed that some of the high lumen lights of 3+ years ago(with XM-L) are significantly cheaper now, even though they have arguably better emitters and more brightness. I paid over $100 for a ZL SC 600 in 2012 with 700ish lumens, now it's $90 with 1100L. Same with multi 18650 Thrunite lights.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
newbie here, into Eneloop AAA and AA, into Copper, NoPWM, High CRI

The Maratac AAA no longer uses PWM, no High CRI still, but the Copper Tool with Nichia is a lego head swap
The Lumintop Tool AAA no longer uses PWM and is available in Copper or Titanium, with High CRI N219b
The Lumintop Worm AAA no longer uses PWM and is available in Copper, with High CRI N219b
Zebralight SC5 AA, not LiIon compatible, not High CRI
L3 Illumination L11c AA available with High CRI N219b
Olight S1 CR123 available in raw Copper, no High CRI, no thermal and no low voltage protection with LiIon
Olight i3e AAA available raw Copper, single mode, no High CRI
Astrolux A01 AAA Copper with Nichia 219b
Astrolux SC 14500 LiIon Copper, no High CRI

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything has a freaking side switch now.

Nothing to see here.

I forgot to add that all the new single cell pocket lights now put out so much light that they need thermal step down sensors to keep from self combusting, but they sure will impress the hell out of your friends for a minute or two. Pay no attention to the horrible cri behind the curtain.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Maglite has a 2 and 3 C sized mini mag. Both LED and incan.

Paul Kim has PK Lab Design doing products for various light makers as extremely limited edition versions in between doing his own masterpieces.

Streamlight now makes dual fuel lights like the 18650/123 Protac HL4 or the ProTac HL 1aa or 123

Rayovac celebrated 100 years in 2014. They also have a Home Depot type 2aa that uses P60 sized innerds.

SureFire removed incan lights from their stable including the 6P.

And even a crappy ole $12 LED light from drug stores aint half bad these days.

mebiuspower

Newly Enlightened
I've come back to the forum after a few years as well.

As far as LED tech goes, is there anything that's substantially more efficient for single-LED P60 host? I still find my Malkoff M61W to be quite sufficient for tactical use and SF KX4 head for general use.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've come back to the forum after a few years as well.

As far as LED tech goes, is there anything that's substantially more efficient for single-LED P60 host? I still find my Malkoff M61W to be quite sufficient for tactical use and SF KX4 head for general use.

Some will disagree. But I say "nope". The M61 is still the benchmark imo.
But check out the PK FL2 if cool white is ok with you. He designed numerous SF lights and up'd the antee with that one.

There were only 1000 made but Bulls Eye World still has some.

1c3d0g

Newly Enlightened
A couple to ad to the list-

I think the introduction of the cree XHP 35 50 70 series of led is an important innovation.

Up until recently all standard production lights with a single cell using a xpl or xml2 emitter could produce a max of 1100 lumens and seemed to of reached their potential. These xhp series leds through the use of newer boost drivers will give light manufacturers the ability to achieve up 2500-3000 lumens in a small, 3.7v single 26650 18650 cell / led set up. To my mind this is a major advancement in brute output, which was previously only available in a bulky, multi cell/emitter light.

HI Intensity emitters -The introduction of the Cree HI Intensity emitters have proven very popular now, the hi,s basically doubled the cd over the standard emitters. These are also available in different tints which avoids the tint lotto of dedoming yourself.
A trillion times this!!! :twothumbs

Latest posts