Infinity ultra....eh

FlameOn

Enlightened
So I got my unltra today and popped in a battery....one thing I wasn't too impressed with is the head switch which can easily go on in a pocket (or turned upside down) unless you twist it back far enough that the battery really rattles...am I being too picky or is this a non issue

SockMan

Newly Enlightened
I don't have an issue with the Infinity Ultra except for some minor battery rattle. Wrapping the AA cell with a post-it note will solve that problem though (and isn't too much trouble considering that you probably won't need to change the cell that often).

I never had my Ultra go off in my pocket.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
This is normal. I always turn them back enough that they can't come on accidently. There have been threads about the battery rattle. I use Post-it notes wrapped around the battery(because that's what I had), some people use corn pads between the positive end of the battery and the head. Either of these methods will stop battery rattle. The battery rattle doesn't hurt any thing and some use their Ultras without any modification.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being a bit too picky. Out in the real world, there is enough ambient noise to mask the rattle. CMG's target market is backpacking, mountaineering, SAR, and such. As a result, you need to keep the design as simple as possible.

You would have to pry my Ultra out of my cold, dead, hands, and even then you would have to fight me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually like the battery rattle! I do the Post-It note thing to stop most of the rattle, but to make sure I've turned my Infinity Ultra off properly I've gotten into the habit of gently shaking the light to feel the battery bump agsint the ends. No bump means I need to give it another small turn... otherwise it MIGHT activate in my pocket, or as the internals expand and contract ever so slightly with temperature changes. The battery jiggle is my assurance that mine won't be turning itself on anytime soon.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't find either of the complaints problems to me. The rattle is not noticed, and my lights unscrew enough without becoming loose. I have never had the problem of it lighting accidently.

I think the Ultra is maybe the best small 1 cell light make. It is a little large for a key ring, but for a pocket it is great.

Although they have some problems with the Sonic, if you get a good one I think it is about as good as anything for a keychain. As I posted elsewhere, I have had more trojble with the Arc AAA than with the Sonic. I realize that there was a bad batch of Arc AAA, and I also see a thread where some have about a decreased level of brightness and are being returned.

Considering cost, and reliability, I think the Ultra and the Sonic represent the best values in their class.
Jerry

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Ultra G from countycomm.
popped in a L91 battery and I'm impressed. a really smooth beam, plenty bright.
Yes it's a bit big but it's replacing my lighter I always carry. the mini bic.
I don't mind the rattle, it's not that noticeable and even my Arc LS with twisty rattles.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
BlindTiger, I keep an Ultra-G loaded with L91 cell in each car's glove compartment. That's truly a great combination. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
milkyspit,
I assume that the L91 is a lithium.

I tried a lithium in my Ultra and the difference in brightness was almost nil.
Have you found that yours is brighter, or what is the reason you use L91?

Jerry

FlameOn

Enlightened
Thanks all....I actually tried a different solution which worked great...I wrapped the batery with scotch tape....fits snug and can come out with a little shaking...

RussH

Enlightened
Jerry, I use a lithium because my ultra G often sits in the car. I had an alkaline battery leak & it's not as likely with the lithium. Plus the lithium performs better at temperature extremes like you have in an automobile. It could go from 20 (night time) to 150F (in the sun) around here in one day. There's something to be said for the lighter weight & slightly longer run time on camping/hiking/canoeing trips, too...

paulr

Flashaholic
There's not much brightness difference between a new lithium and a new alkaline, but the lithium stays at the same brightness over almost the whole runtime while the alkaline dims gradually through it. The lithium also weighs less and works better in cold temperatures.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Russ and Paul,

Thanks, and it makes sense. Since it makes such good sense, and I am a sensible person, I am going to change mine tonight.

I like to change batteries in the evening as it gives me cause to check the light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Now that is crazy, isn't it!

Jerry

cy

Flashaholic
Forget about wrapping your batteries with paper/tape etc

Just got 2 blue infinity ultras for gifts at Battery Station $15 ea. The battery rattled also. Very anoying...

Solution: Dr. Scholtz corn pads size small. Stick on on the base of the head assembly. Fits perfect, No more rattle...

Dr. Scholtz corn pads works great for Arc AA, LS twistys, firefly.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frankly the only time I have ever noticed "battery rattle" in any of my Infinity Ultras is when I sit and shake it with my hand. I frequently wear one around my neck on a paracord lanyard, and never notice any rattle unless I purposely stop and shake it. I've never felt the need to put any pads or paper or anything else inside to "stop" the rattle. Your level of obsessive compulsiveness may vary.

-Keith

paulr

Flashaholic
FWIW, I've never put lithiums into any of my Infinities or Ultras. I'd do it if I were tucking one away for cold-weather emergencies, but the way I use them, alkalines work fine. For a while I was using NiMH, but these lights have such long runtime on an alkaline that the savings from NiMH was basically meaningless.

LightScene

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
There's not much brightness difference between a new lithium and a new alkaline, but the lithium stays at the same brightness over almost the whole runtime.... & ....I've never put lithiums into any of my Infinities

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know that lithiums "stay the same brightness over almost the whole runtime"?

I'm considering the purchase of some lithiums for use in a MiniMag and an Infinity.

paulr

Flashaholic
That's just a matter of the discharge curve. Lithiums have a flatter curve than alkalines, though not completely flat. Lithiums cost a lot more and aren't really worth it IMO, unless you're going to leave them in the light for years, or need to use the light in very cold weather or store it in hot weather. For normal conditions, alkalines are fine.

Lithiums will be a bit brighter (higher voltage) in a minimag but will burn out the bulb faster.

paulr

Flashaholic
Charles, I'm not sure what you mean. Lithium AA's have maybe 50% more energy than alkalines, but they cost ten times as much. It's sort of reasonable to put on in an occasionally-used Ultra because the batteries last so long that the cost is negligible, but alkalines also last a pretty long time, and make more sense if you use the light a lot. As a certified cheapskate I sometimes even use rechargables in mine.