Thrunite Mini TN30 (2016)

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have this light or beamshots.

Not too much into on it. I got one coming in the mail was wondering how others like it.

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Thrunite Mini TM30 (2016)

I got one a couple weeks ago. Like it alot, great light. My only complaint is moonlight mode is to low for me. But the next setting up, low, runs forever...so I use that as a ceiling bounce night light.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened

I got one a couple weeks ago. Like it alot, great light. My only complaint is moonlight mode is to low for me. But the next setting up, low, runs forever...so I use that as a ceiling bounce night light.

Mine just came in today, I can't wait to see the ceiling bounce test. My Nitecore D2takes forever, had I known I'd be getting a 4x18650 Flash Light, I would have got a faster charger with more ports. The D2 Charger was around 20 bucks shipped though so I couldn't beat the price. I was confused at first to see the battery compartment open from the middle rather then the bottom, this was new to me.
Badbeams3, you have been here since 2000. I was in 7th grade back then... I can't help but ask, whats it like to see the difference of 16 years? When did the LEDs come around and take over the forum? Have any lights from back then?

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am sure Badbeams3 has some good stories to tel :)
I know when I started there was no real manufacturer of high end LED lights.
We were amazed to have a 100 lumen LED light that was super bright...LOL :)

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened

I am sure Badbeams3 has some good stories to tel :)
I know when I started there was no real manufacturer of high end LED lights.
We were amazed to have a 100 lumen LED light that was super bright...LOL :)

100 lumens? Seriously, I wouldn't be amazed enough to get into lights with 100 lumens. The thing that caught my eye was the EZ900 XRE that one did it for me with its high CD. I knew I was a thrower (despite relation to the thread I created) .
TM30 is my first real flood light, I even got a diffuser coming. Flashlights are now a actual hobby. That's the most shocking to me, I wonder when it was they started becoming a hobby.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I was member 54 if I remember right. My only claim to fame was coining the word "flashaholic". Cause I realized we were an addicted bunch. The red keychain "Photons" were about the only led flashlights around. Soon expanded into other colors. Surefire's incandescents were all the rage at this forum. Could hit 60+ lumens. But for me those were just a dream. They were just to expensive. No...I was a poor Maglight guy. But I was fascinated with my red Photon and soon bought a yellow and green one. So small and yet could run several hours before ya had to get the micro screwdriver out to remove the 4 screws and replace the batts.

It was ground breaking when Lumileds announced it was developing a white led...called it the Luxeon Star, turned out it could pump out 30 glorious lumen...and compete with the lower end single 123 batt Surefires. The rest is history.

So back to the Mini TN30...I'm surprised by the lack of interest in this light. Bang for the buck...this one rates at the top in my opinion. But I guess folks are more into throwers. This one does have some pretty good distance...but not at the top by any means in that regard. I would like to see Thrunite come up with a single XHP 70 LED thrower using the same exact shell/case/body...would pick one up.

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do you mean the tN30 mini? I was looking for one months ago after a friend of mine ranted about & insisted I get one, but wouldn't let me check it out (he really needs counseling). I was about to get one when I was notified I can get the 2016 version cheaper & jumped on it. Perfect all around for me, & I won't get as worked up about it banging around in my go bag (I checked my m43 constantly, making sure it wouldn't grow legs or get scratched).

Now I need the tn36VN to complement it and rub it in my friends face.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do you mean the tN30 mini? I was looking for one months ago after a friend of mine ranted about & insisted I get one, but wouldn't let me check it out (he really needs counseling). I was about to get one when I was notified I can get the 2016 version cheaper & jumped on it. Perfect all around for me, & I won't get as worked up about it banging around in my go bag (I checked my m43 constantly, making sure it wouldn't grow legs or get scratched).

Now I need the tn36VN to complement it and rub it in my friends face.

Lol...healthy competition! I also have the regular TN36UT...but like you sort of pointed out...I baby that light cause pricey. But I guess I sort of baby the Mini TN30 (2016) as well. Their sort of my...show off lights. Every one is really stunned by the TN36UT..."Insane"..."Awesome"..."Unbelievable"..."WOW...is that thing legal?"

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I want to say LED flashlights started getting popular around 2008-2009 where people were getting more into modding as the new LED's came out with more power. There was NO WAY LED would ever make 1000 lumens LOL :)
100 lumens? Seriously, I wouldn't be amazed enough to get into lights with 100 lumens. The thing that caught my eye was the EZ900 XRE that one did it for me with its high CD. I knew I was a thrower (despite relation to the thread I created) .
TM30 is my first real flood light, I even got a diffuser coming. Flashlights are now a actual hobby. That's the most shocking to me, I wonder when it was they started becoming a hobby.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have eye balled the tn30 mini since the original and while it is a great bang for the buck and everything I want in a light, it's just to big of diameter for my taste. I like the body of my lights to not exceed 40-45mm, anything larger feels weird in my hand. Now grant you I haven't handled one and I am basing the size off of other lights I have, so the performance and features might out way the cons I have if I were to handle one.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the stories guys and your time and input on this light.
It arrived today. I had it dwarfing my MH20GT and P12GT, the ceiling bounce test was very good. In a few years it will be a outdated memory when the newer emitters come out. Until then, it's in it's glory days. I want into a few mine shafts nearby today, it was wonderful to see it pour so much light down a tunnel, a first for the old timber mines of the gold rush era. Anyways, I say its a fantastic light my slight grip wishing they made it in one uniform reflector(or deep reflectors) because allot of light is wasted in the outer outer rings. Overall, I happy with my purchase. And BadBeams3, the term you created flashaholic will be here most likely after we are all dust. Thanks again brothers.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the stories guys and your time and input on this light.
It arrived today. I had it dwarfing my MH20GT and P12GT, the ceiling bounce test was very good. In a few years it will be a outdated memory when the newer emitters come out. Until then, it's in it's glory days. I want into a few mine shafts nearby today, it was wonderful to see it pour so much light down a tunnel, a first for the old timber mines of the gold rush era. Anyways, I say its a fantastic light my slight grip wishing they made it in one uniform reflector(or deep reflectors) because allot of light is wasted in the outer outer rings. Overall, I happy with my purchase. And BadBeams3, the term you created flashaholic will be here most likely after we are all dust. Thanks again brothers.

Glad you like it. Had a chance to use mine for an actual task...one of my mother tenants called me to report her A/C was not working...so went over to see if the drain line might be clogged up (has a shut off switch in the pan when that happens). Asked her to hold the light for me while I worked the garden hose. Set it on the 500ish lumen setting...I mentioned that it was a new light looking for a compliment...but all she talked about was her job. After being bored to near death by her job stuff...I mentioned the light again...and guess she got the hint and said "Well, it's a nice light". So I guess she was as fascinated by my light as I was about her job stuff lol. Oh well.

Last edited:

wildcatter

Newly Enlightened

Lol...healthy competition! I also have the regular TN36UT...but like you sort of pointed out...I baby that light cause pricey. But I guess I sort of baby the Mini TN30 (2016) as well. Their sort of my...show off lights. Every one is really stunned by the TN36UT..."Insane"..."Awesome"..."Unbelievable"..."WOW...is that thing legal?"

You guy's are a bad influence. I was ready to buy the TN-30 (2016) and was really wanting the TN-36, but so many complain and say it is a useless piece of crap. I kinda understand most don't even nuse a flashlight, they just want to pound their chest and brag about how far away they can see or walk the dog with 2500 lumens and can't see without it,,,,, I aften wondered if that 2500 lumens they needed to see the trail suddenly went out, how the heck would they be able to see anything??

No I want my lights to work for me, seldom do I need to see more than 100 yards, and usually 20 to 50 is more than enough, what I didn't want was to have to constantly pan back and forth to see what was going on around me, or use so much power to see enough spill that I have that irritating hot spot in the center where your main focal point is. I am mainly an outdoorsman, hunting fishing and camping, for the last 25 years since early retirement,, this is what I do 7 days a week, and much of it between sunup and sundown. I bought this as my general purpose night light, or in power outages, or camping room light. I want the entire area lit equally, but never had a dedicated flood.

Well sorry to say I didn't buy the mini 30,, I was about ready to, but I found one of those guys that couldn't see far enough with the 7300 Lumen TN-36 UT in cool white (which I'd rather have NW), and stole it. Yep $115.00 with everything it comes with except the holster, and he included the 4 18650 Thrunite 3400 batteries,,, I seldom use it past low, and medium is more than I need for 30 to 40 yards vision fishing at night or camping, no panning and I can see my entire surroundings. I think the main gain in this style flood and the biggest advantage over the TN-30 is the moonlight mode. It is a sweet useable mode that will not rob you of your night vision when you turn it off. I am sure if I had not gotten the TN-36 I would have been just as happy with the TN-30,,,,

Now I wish I had a TN-30 but really can see no advantage after stepping past it and getting the mega flooder?? But I gotta say you folks have a way of making a guy think he is missing something,,,, I hope not cause for a while I am pretty happy with the lineup I have, some that's to many, but I know I have a light to fit about any situation I could want a handheld flashlight for, and a handheld flashlight for some situations folks use a remote light for,,,, life is good today!!

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

you can use the tn-30 on high till the batteries implode and not burn yourself. the tn36 will etch a permanent burn in your hand, kinda like the way you brand a cow. but since you have no need to use it past med., you really don't have a need for the tn30. on the flip side i bought the tn30 and can't make a tn36 out of it. so i'll have to have both

wildcatter

Newly Enlightened

you can use the tn-30 on high till the batteries implode and not burn yourself. the tn36 will etch a permanent burn in your hand, kinda like the way you brand a cow. but since you have no need to use it past med., you really don't have a need for the tn30. on the flip side i bought the tn30 and can't make a tn36 out of it. so i'll have to have both

You and me both, they both have a place. I think the TN-30 is a better emergency light, power outages and stuff, and think the TN-36 is a better outdoors activity light, having both would be nice.

But you can avoid the burn using the TN-36 on high, that's 2500 lumens instead of 2000 on the mini 30, mand the TN-36 will run longer by 4 minutes with these 500 more lumens due to the more efficient XHP 70 LED's but in turbo you have more light than any normal person would use for an extended amount of time and over double the lumens available in the mini 30, they all get hot on Turbo,,,, The other reason I was glad I got the TN-36 is usable lumens and battery life, Like I said the facts have shown Thrunite burn time ratings have been very reliable when tested. The XPH 70 LED's being more efficient lends better run times at what lumens most will use these lights for.

The TN-30 has a low 46 lumens and a medium 470 lumens, the moonlight moon I think is a little weak on a light this size, and 46 is to bright for moonlight and to low for outdoors use for most situations.

The TN-36 has twice the moonlight lumens about right I believe for these size lights, and a very useable low at 130 lumens, and thrue bright Medium at 850, like I say I really don't see using high at 2500 lumens but if one wanted to, you won't have to worry about being burnt.

I just wish the 36 had one more step, a Med High at about 1300 lumens. The TN30 I wish had a 120 or so low and instead of 200 on high 1200 or so would be nice, and make it more efficient in my thinking. But the one thing is for sure no matter what you want for your flooder, both of these I feel should have a place high up on the recommended list for flooders, different lights, hence different likes,,,, but they should be covered.

Keep your eyes open on fleabay and in the classifieds, as like I say many are buying these thinking they can see a country mile with more lumens, and don't appreciate it once they see what a flooder is. This makes brand new in mint condition lights available from time to time for about the same price as a TN-30, that's how it was in my case anyways, plus I got $60.00 worth of quality 18650's with it!! good luck keep them eyes open!

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yesterday the mailman delivered me a TN30 mini (2016). I chose this instead of TN36 because I consider TN36 to be over powered with heat issues and shorter runtime as result. While TN36 is a bit "show off" light to impress friends with TN30 is more for practical use. Yes; I know you can exclude the turbomode but that with significantly worse throw than TN30mini. And of course: the much lower price really is an argument for TN30 too!

My impression of the light: as usual high quality feeling like my TN32 and TN35. Perfect knurling provides good hold and the switch has a distinct and good feeling. I like that firefly and turbomode are not included in the memory function.
When I compared the light to Fenix PD40 and Thrunite TN35 I reacted about that the hotspot has a yellowish-greenish shade which makes PD40 and TN35 looking cool white in comparison. At first I didn't like it but the eyes very fast adapt to the tint so without direct comparison I hardly notice it, it's only noticeable at the lower brightness modes.
The spill fills up the entire living room wall and has much cooler tint, but compared to the spill of 4Seven MMU-X3 it looks very nice neutral white!

Conclusion: so far I am very satisfied with the light which likely now and then will work as another tailstanding light for cosy lighting indoors. And now and then I will bring it out in the forest. By the way: I WILL whow off it for friends and am sure these 3660lm(probably slightly lower for the NW) will impress them. For the first time I have a flashlight with a constant on mode at a lumen output comparable to my 3x11W LED living room ceiling light.

Last edited: