Maratac CR123 Rev. 2 O-Ring Issues/Fix

_nw

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys and gals,

I just wanted to point out something that I haven't seen anywhere else.

I was looking at my Maratac CR123 yesterday. This light hasn't seen much use, mostly because of the way the body and head fit together. The light activates with very slight pressure against the head in any direction other than directly away from the body. The only solution to this is to loosen the head more. But wait! Loosening the head to a point where you can reliably avoid accidental activation leaves you with a partially exposed o-ring. A partially exposed o-ring that is already thin and low-seated. Not confidence inspiring.

But while looking at the Maratac, I noticed something. There is a space right at the base of the threads that looked to be just the right size to slap a second o-ring into. So I grabbed one of the included spares and some NyoGel and tried it out.

%21m_cpfcopper123orings.jpeg

Not only does it solve all of the above problems, but it is so much better that I kinda wonder if it's a QC issue and most of the lights come with two o-rings pre-installed. I feel obligated to mention though that one handed use is more difficult with this two o-ring setup.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually see your "problem" as a feature. lol I like being able to hold the light and press the head with my thumb to temporarily activate it. There is a sweet spot if you get it there the light won't flicker. I actually try this out with most all my twisty lights. Some work better than others. So what I am saying, is that almost every twisty is like this. It is a inherent thing with twist design. This wouldn't be what I consider a quality control issue.
FWIW: I own one of these lights too, and I think the QC is excellent. The threads are super smooth and tight machining.

_nw

Newly Enlightened
I meant the QC statement as kind of a joke, implying that using the light with two o-rings is so much of an improvement that someone must have missed something haha. I can see why you might see it as a feature but to me it makes the light hard to trust vs water or dust. Btw my young collection consists of four lights, all twisties and none of the other three have this behavior. At least without considerable force.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a space right at the base of the threads... just the right size...
%21m_cpfcopper123orings.jpeg

congrats on your Copper light!
I dont own one, but my guess is you only need one Oring, in the groove. If you get a chance, please test and report :)

_nw

Newly Enlightened
congrats on your Copper light!
I dont own one, but my guess is you only need one Oring, in the groove. If you get a chance, please test and report :)

Haha yeah. I'm sure you're correct. At least I've never heard anything about these lights having two o-rings. But there definitely is a space that will hold a second. That was my main point. I mean look at that picture! If they aren't perfectly aligned, the difference is nanometers.

Really just a PSA for users that would prefer a snug fitting head and extra protection over a "momentary nudge" feature ;-)

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
there definitely is a space that will hold a second. That was my main point.

well I hope you try it with only one, in the groove, not on the threads, and let us know

Speculation: MY main point is that your upper Oring MAY be in the WRONG place! :)
Maybe you dont need two Orings, to stop the nudge activation, you might just need to have the one that fits in the groove below the threads, ONLY.. And that could make it easier to twist

or maybe not, cant test it myself..
was hoping you would try it and let us know if my speculation that the light MIGHT only need ONE Oring, in the groove, is actually effective at preventing accidental activation. Without having to unscrew the light so far, like you did at first, before you added the second Oring

_nw

Newly Enlightened
well I hope you try it with only one, in the groove, not on the threads, and let us know

Speculation: MY main point is that your upper Oring MAY be in the WRONG place! :)
Maybe you dont need two Orings, to stop the nudge activation, you might just need to have the one that fits in the groove below the threads, ONLY.. And that could make it easier to twist

or maybe not, cant test it myself..
was hoping you would try it and let us know if my speculation that the light MIGHT only need ONE Oring, in the groove, is actually effective at preventing accidental activation. Without having to unscrew the light so far, like you did at first, before you added the second Oring

Just so we know we're talking about the same things:

%21m_cpfcopper123oringillustration.png

So the lower o-ring (red) is the one that came installed when I bought it. I've had the light for five months and the issues I was having were with the red ring installed only. Yesterday I noticed a gap just below the threads (not the threads themselves) that one of the included spare o-rings fit right into(green).

Are you saying to remove the red? I guess I could try that but I don't really see myself rocking it without the factory o-ring and just the green one. That leaves quite a little cavity for dirt and pocket lint to pack into :-\

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you saying to remove the red?

No. We were speaking at cross purposes.

I was confused about which Oring you added.
Your photo with red and green arrows cleared it up for me.
Thanks for taking the time to set me straight!

"I believed I understood what I thought you said, but now I realize that what I heard is not what you meant at all." :)

J Smith

Newly Enlightened
The same thing that bothered you about the light also bothered me about my rev 1 CU cr123. Wish I saw this before I sold it. After seeing this I now have a rev2 stainless coming.