• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

AAA / 10440

okluma

Enlightened
I've been playing around with some AAA / 10440 sized lights. It'll be a twisty, with a 3 or 4 mode FET driver. I'm thinking it'll have a hole for a key ring. I'm not sure about a clip at this point.

What are everyone's thoughts?

26514526204_5f2ee2fb4b_c.jpg

phosphor22

Enlightened
What a fabulous idea (from a devoted AAA light lover).
I favor (from left to right) #4, #9, and #11.
I am neutral about a clip; hole for key ring would be good
I do hope that a trit slot or two might be part of the plan.

Last edited:

okluma

Enlightened
What a fabulous idea (from a devoted AAA light lover).
I favor (from left to right) #4, #9, and #11.
I am neutral about a clip; hole for key ring would be good
I do hope that a trit slot or two might be part of the plan.

I'm partial to #10 and #11 at the moment.

They'll definitely do tailstands.

Trits make me really nervous. I recently had a friend who was paid a visit by the US government, and he incurred some hefty fines.

Ladd

Enlightened
I'M with phosphor, especially #9 looks good. If you have several options there will be folks who will want to collect them all, not that you need any sales incentives.

This is a good idea.

AAA is a nice form factor for many reasons, and plenty bright with today's led tech.

I know it's futile to say "I'm in" in this thread, so looking forward to seeing these on the sales site!

Ladd

Enlightened
Oh yes, and brace yourself.

There's going to be a lot of requests for brass and copper!

PS: The drawing is a work of art itself! Should frame it.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'd choose #4

And, instead of a split ring, maybe some "slots" around the base ... this could be an attachment point for a small clip, and the clip would attach to the keyring.

The advantage of this would be easy detach, and preserve tailstanding.

Not sure if I am describing this in words as clearly as I'd like, though ....

Last edited:

okluma

Enlightened
PS: The drawing is a work of art itself! Should frame it.

My sketchbooks are full of very strange things.

I'M with phosphor, especially #9 looks good. If you have several options there will be folks who will want to collect them all, not that you need any sales incentives.

This is a good idea.

I hadn't thought of that... That is a good idea.

AAA is a nice form factor for many reasons, and plenty bright with today's led tech.

I didn't see many options in the 10mm drivers. Right now I'm leaning towards mountain electronic's 10mm DD, but I'm interested to hear of any other options you guys know of.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Not sure if a collaboration with @vinhnguyen54 is possible ( hope so! ) ... but I think he uses his custom driver in 10440 torches.

Ladd

Enlightened
The MTN 10-11-12 DD series drivers are very good. I have used several in small lights with good success.

The turbo is a bit much for the 10440 format, but I am sure Richard would tone down for a custom order.

I believe vinh54 gets his drivers from Mountain.

I also have some ReyLight Tool aaa drivers. Be glad to volunteer one for the project, if you want.

okluma

Enlightened
The MTN 10-11-12 DD series drivers are very good. I have used several in small lights with good success.

The turbo is a bit much for the 10440 format, but I am sure Richard would tone down for a custom order.

I believe vinh54 gets his drivers from Mountain.

I've been curious to see how bright the turbo on the mtn drivers are. I have a few here, but I haven't built a light up yet. I imagine I'll get him to lower turbo some.

I just sent vinh54 an email, so we'll see what he says.

Ladd

Enlightened
I've been curious to see how bright the turbo on the mtn drivers are. I have a few here, but I haven't built a light up yet. I imagine I'll get him to lower turbo some.

I just sent vinh54 an email, so we'll see what he says.

Re Turbo: Make it waterproof and it will be perfect for keeping a cup of coffee hot :grin2:

One other thing to watch out for in the AAA format, especially 10440, is the variation in battery size. It is all over the place, so a spring is helps. But in a twisty, a spring introduces other UI problems.

okluma

Enlightened
Also, if you guys have any thoughts on reflectors, these are the options I've accumulated so far. These were from Ledil and Rebel.
27119123056_847891f4af_c.jpg

archimedes

Flashaholic
Although it would be expensive, I've always wanted a small flashlight (prefer CR2, but AAA-size would be ok) with a high quality (glass, sapphire) aspheric lens, to make a tiny thrower ....

okluma

Enlightened
Although it would be expensive, I've always wanted a small flashlight (prefer CR2, but AAA-size would be ok) with a high quality (glass, sapphire) aspheric lens, to make a tiny thrower ....

If you can find me an aspheric lens that small, I'd seriously consider it.