Any user here with a Nitecore SRT3 and an AW protected 14500 cell?

pyro0

Newly Enlightened
Hey, if you have both, could you please help me out and tell if they work together without any issues? I was originally going to get a Nitecore 14500 cell, but read they don't work together. I just want to make sure something works before purchasing it. If an AW protected 14500 cell doesn't work, can someone suggest an alternative protected cell for this noob? Also, do AW cells work perfectly fine with Nitecore chargers? Thank you.

eurypylus

Newly Enlightened
Tried it using the extension and AW 14500(black IC-Protection, 3.7v 750mAh) and it work fine.
Why you would chose to use 14500 instead of ICR123? Both have the same capacity, and 14500 only add its length.

I've been charging all my batteries using Nitecore D4 and they work fine as well.

canonite

Newly Enlightened
Hey, if you have both, could you please help me out and tell if they work together without any issues? I was originally going to get a Nitecore 14500 cell, but read they don't work together.

I just got some Nitecore 14500 for the heck of it, and can safely tell you, Nitecore 14500 does not work in the SRT3.

pyro0

Newly Enlightened
Tried it using the extension and AW 14500(black IC-Protection, 3.7v 750mAh) and it work fine.
Why you would chose to use 14500 instead of ICR123? Both have the same capacity, and 14500 only add its length.

I've been charging all my batteries using Nitecore D4 and they work fine as well.

This review showed that the 14500 did better than the 16340: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?373424-ReviewTheLight-Nitecore-SRT3-Defender

Also, if I went with the 16340, I'd have to carry around the extension tube separately. CR123s aren't as readily available in the real world as the AA batteries. If my main battery died, I could walk into almost any corner store and pick up an AA. I'd also have to worry about not losing or damaging the threads on the loose extension in my pocket. The added length does make it a great size as an impact tool/self defense weapon.

I just got some Nitecore 14500 for the heck of it, and can safely tell you, Nitecore 14500 does not work in the SRT3.

When did you purchase your Nitecore 14500? I was originally going to get them, but saw an old post saying they don't work. Someone recently then popped up saying they do work. Confused by that, I emailed Nitecore and they said the older versions were too flat and the newer ones should work with the SRT3.

Last edited:

canonite

Newly Enlightened
When did you purchase your Nitecore 14500? I was originally going to get them, but saw an old post saying they don't work. Someone recently then popped up saying they do work. Confused by that, I emailed Nitecore and they said the older versions were too flat and the newer ones should work with the SRT3.

Got the cells two days back .. Believe that the shop had at least refreshed its battery stock over the last month or so, but am of course unsure as to how long ago the batteries were produced and stored.

Some observations on the NL147...
Cell is longer than AA
Button top is not as pronounced as AA, but looks the same as the Olight RCR
It does seems to make contact with the contacts in he flashlight ..

canonite

Newly Enlightened
Just got a Xtar 14500 800mah cell .. Size is similar to AA .. Works with the SRT3.. Not sure about its review, but just posting to give another option .. Getting another 2 more since it's cheaper than the NC... (2 Xtar for the price of 1 NC!)

pyro0

Newly Enlightened
Got the cells two days back .. Believe that the shop had at least refreshed its battery stock over the last month or so, but am of course unsure as to how long ago the batteries were produced and stored.

Some observations on the NL147...
Cell is longer than AA
Button top is not as pronounced as AA, but looks the same as the Olight RCR
It does seems to make contact with the contacts in he flashlight ..
Maybe you should contact them. Say the new ones should work, according to Nitecore. Maybe get a refund or replacement for made
newer stock.

pyro0

Newly Enlightened
Just got a Xtar 14500 800mah cell .. Size is similar to AA .. Works with the SRT3.. Not sure about its review, but just posting to give another option .. Getting another 2 more since it's cheaper than the NC... (2 Xtar for the price of 1 NC!)
Cool, are those protected?

canonite

Newly Enlightened
Maybe you should contact them. Say the new ones should work, according to Nitecore. Maybe get a refund or replacement for made
newer stock.

The SRT was purchased from the AD, and battery from one of the auth retailers...

Think I will ask at another of the retailer about their opinion .. Cause they carry a range of brands of flashlights and batteries, but not NC batteries only... See what they have to say about the batts..

Yep, protected cells .. Just saw the review by HJK.. Acceptable performance

If you ask me though, if the battery life keeps to the stated run time, think it will good enough for me.. (Not a heavy user)

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont have the AW 14500's but do have new Keeppower 840mah 14500's. Was not sure if they would work in the 3 as they are 55mm long but they do work. Tight fit but they work. Still prefer the shorter form factor of the fresh 700mah Keeppower 16340's in the 3 though. Just got the 3 and well...its pretty dim. My several years old PD32 is more than twice as bright.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
after a cleaning with DeOxit and putting in a fresh 750mah AW cell the light now cranks. Also finally works better with 14500's now.