Whoa! What Happened To Fenix?!

Alone In The Dark

Newly Enlightened
It is frequently stated that Fenix produces high quality flashlights. I own several Fenix flashlights, and I have never disagreed with such comments. Fenix's attention to detail is impressive, especially when comparing it to that of many other manufacturers. It should therefore stand to reason that the build quality and attention to detail of Fenix's flagship flashlight, the RC40, would be above reproach.

Well, my new Fenix RC40 arrived yesterday, and I am not impressed... :(

Initial observations:

• Prior to first using the flashlight, there are two insulators that must be removed from the battery. When removing them one of the plastic rings that is supposed to be clipped into the battery fell out too.

• The battery pack came 100% charged. As we all know, this is not an ideal way to store Li-Ion batteries.

• None (not even one!) of the six LEDs are properly centered.

• One of the five outer LEDs is not oriented correctly.

• The "hot" warning and serial number are out of alignment (not centered) with the buttons and head of the flashlight.

• The handle knurling pattern is out of alignment (not centered) with the buttons and head of the flashlight.

For a top of the line flashlight typically selling for just under $400, this lack of quality and attention to detail is tremendously disappointing. I would even go so far as to say that some of the things I noted come across as being downright sloppy.

kj2

Flashaholic
Warning and SN engraving that is out of alignment, looks so sloppy on a light. It's one of the last things to add on a light so you should get it right. And leds MUST be centered at all times.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is frequently stated that Fenix produces high quality flashlights. I own several Fenix flashlights, and I have never disagreed with such comments. Fenix's attention to detail is impressive, especially when comparing it to that of many other manufacturers. It should therefore stand to reason that the build quality and attention to detail of Fenix's flagship flashlight, the RC40, would be above reproach.

Initial observations:

• Prior to first using the flashlight, there are two insulators that must be removed from the battery. When removing them one of the plastic rings that is supposed to be clipped into the battery fell out too.

• The battery pack came 100% charged. As we all know, this is not an ideal way to store Li-Ion batteries.

• None (not even one!) of the six LEDs are properly centered.

• One of the five outer LEDs is not oriented correctly.

• The "hot" warning and serial number are out of alignment (not centered) with the buttons and head of the flashlight.

• The handle knurling pattern is out of alignment (not centered) with the buttons and head of the flashlight.

For a top of the line flashlight typically selling for just under $400, this lack of quality and attention to detail is tremendously disappointing. I would even go so far as to say that some of the things I noted come across as being downright sloppy.

Can you return the light?

tom-

Enlightened
Very interesting and a complete 180* from the discontinued LD60 I received a few days ago, there is not one area of the light to take exception to, made by an artist or artists.. Sorry to hear of your situation, I would be beyond disappointed and more than a bit angry-any chance you got a counterfeit edition??

ven

Flashaholic
Bummer and sorry to hear, very disappointing and no excuses for the extent of issues............

My advice would be contact fenix, take some pics ready as they will ask anyway and saves a day or 2! Pic of each issue and send to fenix(sevice@fenixlight dot com). Hopefully they will sort quickly, if it was your country where bought , then contact them seller/shop for a return.

Good luck

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the five outer LEDs is not oriented correctly.

That one LED is supposed to be positioned that way.

Same with the TK75 2015. Early ones were turned differently, but the newest runs have one LED positioned different than the other 3.

Alone In The Dark

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your comments, questions, and suggestions.

I purchased the RC40 at a special price from Battery Junction, so I do not anticipate encountering any problems with a return. On the other hand, I do not feel that I should have to pay the shipping costs (per their return policy) for an item with multiple defects. I will call them on Monday to see how they would like to handle this situation. In fairness to them, I do not feel that they should not have to eat the shipping costs either.

On that note, I will also be contacting Fenix. Again, I have quite a few Fenix flashlights, and I have never encountered anything like this with their products before. If this particular flashlight happens to be a lemon, then I will consider accepting a replacement. I would need to be assured, however, that the replacement was built with proper attention to detail.

Please give me a few days to get some pictures taken and uploaded.

ven

Flashaholic
Come on guys, its unfair to keep asking for pics.............

we want a full video please....................and pics! :p

tom-

Enlightened
I have never done business with the Company cited, I did check pricing and there was but one product (a particular brand of battery that we use a lot of) that offered exceptional value no other compelling reason to give this Company our hard earned dollars-
Battery Junction, per their posted policy, does charge for return shipping BUT also will not charge to ship a replacement product for certain circumstances and the topic at hand does appear to be one.

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast

Initial observations:

Where to start?

Just looked at four of my Fenix lights, two TK75's, one TK61, and one LD75C.

All four lights have the HOT symbol in alignment with the switches. It makes sense as it's a cautionary that the light gets hot. It wouldn't do you any good seeing it on the bottom of the light.

On the opposite side of the body from the switches is the model and serial number.

As for the alignment of the knurling on the battery tube to the switches, not going to happen. That would require registering the threading, (done on either a lathe or roll former) to the knurling done on a CNC milling machine.

There are countless pictures of the extended run time kits sold for the TK61/75, that when screwed together don't align.

Not owning a RC40, I can't comment on the QC of lights being manufactured today verses a few years ago.

One more, lets see the pictures?

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Dang! The OP needs to resize those pics.... Hold on... There are none. The mob won't be denied too much longer! LOL.

Latest posts