Best streamlight flashlight

scviper576

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at buying a new flashlight but like streamlight. I am trying to get opinions between the Scorpion HL 725 lumen or the protac HL 750 lumen. It will be an edc when I move to Manila, Philippines. I will use it for self defense. If attacked it must blind the attacker and have a bezel that will allow me to hit and hurt the attacker. I am buying from a store and plan to use icr 16340 batteries in it.

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
I am looking at buying a new flashlight but like streamlight. I am trying to get opinions between the Scorpion HL 725 lumen or the protac HL 750 lumen. It will be an edc when I move to Manila, Philippines. I will use it for self defense. If attacked it must blind the attacker and have a bezel that will allow me to hit and hurt the attacker. I am buying from a store and plan to use icr 16340 batteries in it.
Streamlight is not though of too highly here on the forums. That's not to say they are bad. I would be concerned about using lit ions in the light. At 4.2x 2 you will over volt the light. With one battery it might not power the light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Streamlight is not though of too highly here on the forums. That's not to say they are bad. I would be concerned about using lit ions in the light. At 4.2x 2 you will over volt the light. With one battery it might not power the light.

Beg to differ.
Streamlight is not news worthy that often in todays fashion of the week conversations.
But not well thought of? Not the case.

For and edc the rubber cover over the body and tail cap on the Scorpion may wear through and cause you to need a new body cover for that Scorpion. Other than that they are pretty similar.

I have both and prefer the ProTac for that reason. But in cold weather I prefer the Scorpion.
They are both very close in beam and interface.

Check out the specs on the ProTac HL USB before you decide.

In the review section Subwoofer reviewed it recently.

scviper576

Newly Enlightened

These have a top voltage of 4.2 and a operation voltage of 3.7 I'm getting a digital charger I can watch the voltage and cut it off. This is the specs.

High discharge rate performance; No memory effects; Provides excellent continuous power sources to your device

Application

Application Flashlights, LED torch, Digital Camera Battery, Electronic cigarette and various household electronic products

12-month Warranty

What You Get: Foxnovo® 16340 Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries, our fan-favorite 12-month warranty and friendly customer service.

Specifications

- Brand: Foxnovo.
- Color: as shown in the pictures.
- Material: Lithium Ion
- Battery Type: 16340 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery.
- Battery capacity: 650mAh
- Rated voltage: 3.7V.
- Power: 2.4Wh.
- Full voltage: 4.2V.
- Cutoff discharge: 2.75V.
- Charge Time: About 1~2 hours
- Rechargeable Times: Over 1000
- Product Certification: CE RL MSDS

scviper576

Newly Enlightened
Beg to differ.
Streamlight is not news worthy that often in todays fashion of the week conversations.
But not well thought of? Not the case.

For and edc the rubber cover over the body and tail cap on the Scorpion may wear through and cause you to need a new body cover for that Scorpion. Other than that they are pretty similar.

I have both and prefer the ProTac for that reason. But in cold weather I prefer the Scorpion.
They are both very close in beam and interface.

Check out the specs on the ProTac HL USB before you decide.

In the review section Subwoofer reviewed it recently.

Thanks John but I want interchange batteries. This light will be used everyday I will have a second set of batteries in my girlfriend purse. What one would be better to hold onto to use the bezel as a weapon? The weather there at the coldest is 76. I will get the protac HL then. I didn't know the rubber would wear out.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Gotcha.

Yeah the Scorpion has a rubber sleeve on the body that covers the end. It's tough enough to last a while, but if it ever tears you have to replace the whole thing vs a simple rubber circle on the ProTac.

Neither has an aggressive bezel. They are generally thought of as bad guy blinders used by folks like security or police who generally have other protective devices.
Notice I'm tip-toe-ing around that subject as it's frowned upon here to go into beating up folks with a flashlight.

But you might also consider the PK FL2 at Bulls Eye World. It loves 16340's or primaries. And it was designed to among other things... well it has an aggressive bezel and I'll leave it at that.

scviper576

Newly Enlightened
Gotcha.

Yeah the Scorpion has a rubber sleeve on the body that covers the end. It's tough enough to last a while, but if it ever tears you have to replace the whole thing vs a simple rubber circle on the ProTac.

Neither has an aggressive bezel. They are generally thought of as bad guy blinders used by folks like security or police who generally have other protective devices.
Notice I'm tip-toe-ing around that subject as it's frowned upon here to go into beating up folks with a flashlight.

But you might also consider the PK FL2 at Bulls Eye World. It loves 16340's or primaries. And it was designed to among other things... well it has an aggressive bezel and I'll leave it at that.

I called streamlight and they will mail a replacement Rubber-armoured sleeve for free

bykfixer

Flashaholic
ProTac has a pocket clip if that matters.

Otherwise toss a coin as they are both mighty fine flashlights.
Both ten tap for hi/lo/strobe or hi only or lo/hi.
Both have similar beams.
Both have similar runtimes.
Both have switches that require about the same effort.

I could keep going....
That's why I jokingly say "toss a coin"
Scorpion will be easier to grip with wet hands.

bigfug

Newly Enlightened
Thanks John but I want interchange batteries. This light will be used everyday I will have a second set of batteries in my girlfriend purse. What one would be better to hold onto to use the bezel as a weapon? The weather there at the coldest is 76. I will get the protac HL then. I didn't know the rubber would wear out.

The new Protac 1l-1AA would be my recommendation. Can use CR123A or AA out of the same light. I actually came here to see what everyone thought of it, as it's on my list.

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/product.html?pid=349

holygeez03

Enlightened
"These have a top voltage of 4.2 and a operation voltage of 3.7 I'm getting a digital charger I can watch the voltage and cut it off. This is the specs."

Will this work? Seems risky... And what is the max voltage of the Streamlight, 6.0v?

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Doesn't these lights run on 16650 if you want rechargeables?
My polytacs work fine on those cells.
Gives better capacity than 2x16340 and keeps it under 6 V if that is the max limit is (and what 2xcr123 gives).

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
Doesn't these lights run on 16650 if you want rechargeables?
My polytacs work fine on those cells.
Gives better capacity than 2x16340 and keeps it under 6 V if that is the max limit is (and what 2xcr123 gives).

The Protac 2L would be my choice if restricted to Streamlight only. It's still small enough to EDC - unlike the HL (which is monster-sized!).

Run it with 16650 cells - should work fine.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Protac was one of the worst lights I have ever bought. Not anodized its painted black. Unscrew the tail end and you can see where the black paint terminates in brush strokes. The mushy tail switch was a nightmare. Ten tap is a cool idea but not with a switch with zero tactile feel and made of cheap way to soft rubber. I would end up strobing myself by accident just trying to get into another mode. The switch is just...numb is the only way I can describe it.

The Scorpion on the other hand is made in the USA and is actually anodized. I have never actually gotten to handle one but it has GOT to be better than the Chinese made ProTacs. I hope it doesnt have the same useless cheap rubber switch. Note-both lights use old Luminous LED's. Nowhere near as efficient as Cree's.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you aren't solely stuck on streamlight check out factor equipments cossatot series. Has the bezel you are looking for and comes with a battery. Usb charging works great on it too.