Fenix E41 Flashlight Field Use Review.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Some years ago I craved a light called the Fenix TK40. It was a monster running off 8 AA batteries but could produce 630 lumens which even today is respectable. The dream of having lithium ion illumination power using common AA batteries was strong. I wanted it bad. Really really bad but there were problems. First 8 AA batteries are a bunch and more considering the prepper in me will not pack a light without having a change of batteries. 16 AA batteries seemed too daunting of a prospect. More daunting was the price. 150 bucks if memory is correct. Then there was the battery carrier issue. There were early reports of issues of some sort with them. Or maybe it was a new improved carrier or maybe my memory is shot. Whatever the case I dislike separate battery carriers aka something you need to put the batteries in first then the entire assembly goes into the light. Entropy rules the woods and everything else so the more parts the more chances for something to go wrong.

Moving forward nearly 1/2 a decade a dealer known as Battery Junction, local boys had a sale on the Fenix E41. It seemed to answer all of my AA power trip dreams of the TK40 but without the downsides, price included. It was a screaming deal. What else was I going to do? Yup I got one. Now a year later it's time for the field use review. First here are the specs per the Battery Junction. I am sure they won't mind me copy and pasting the info from their site as I purchased the light from them.

Fenix E41
Pocket Rocket
The Fenix E41 is a pocket-sized searchlight that provides a lot of power for its size. Its compact, unibody design makes it comfortable to hold and very easy to carry around. The E41 is small, light and reliable, measuring less than 12 centimeters long and weighing only 204 grams. It is made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum and has a premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish.

Lighting Technology
CREE LED
The E41 flashlight comes with a Cree XM-L2 U2 LED to blast a 1000-lumen output and 275-meter beam distance. It provides you with three brightness levels as well as a burst mode. The Fenix E41 has a lifespan of 50,000 hours and its digitally regulated output maintains constant brightness. This flashlight also comes with a holster, lanyard and spare O-ring.

Power
Four AA Batteries
The Fenix E41 flashlight is powered by four AA (NiMH, Alkaline) batteries and features reverse polarity protection. Also, the E41 is made with a toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating. This compact flashlight is waterproof to IPX-8 standards, meaning that it can be submerged 2 meters underwater for 30 minutes without being damaged.

Features:
Side switch for output selection
Reverse polarity protection guards against improper battery installation
Digitally regulated output maintains constant brightness
Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-scratch coating
Constructed from aero grade aluminum alloy
HA III military grade hard-anodized finish
Impact resistant to 1.5 meters
Waterproof in accordance with IPX-8 standards
Included Accessories: holster, lanyard, and spare O-ring

Specifications:
LED: CREE XM-L2
Runs on: 4x AA Alkaline, Lithium, NiMh (Batteries NOT included)
Output mode/Runtime:
Burst: 1000 lumens
High: 400 lumens / 4.25hrs
Mid: 140 lumens / 13.33hrs
Low: 20 lumens / 95hrs
Peak Beam Intensity: 18,900cd
Max Beam Distance: 275 meters
Dimensions:
Length: 4.5" (116mm)
Bezel Diameter: 1.7" (44mm)
Body Diameter: 1.57" (40mm)
Weight: 7.2 oz (204g) (excluding batteries)

I am not a technical reviewer so didn't verify the run times etc etc. I can say the weight with 4XAA NiMH is just over 12 oz. This is a review of the gear item in actual field use. These are my impressions of the gear after a year of moderate use. It's not my primary hiking light given the weight but do take it out on occasion. So where do field testing reviews take place?

A look at the light.

Feels good in my hands.

The sheath/holster. I don't like the sheath. Too difficult for me to get the light in and out one handed. The belt loop is too narrow for my pack's main bucket to pass through. It just feels too insubstantial for the light however does technically work.

The loop is wide enough for a pants belt but not a larger pack waist belt buckle.

The UI is a single button with 3 main modes and a burst 1000 lumen mode. The switch is positioned well for easy access during actual use.

Unfortunately there is no practical lock out feature however the UI requires a deliberate amount of pressure and duration for activation and has a memory mode. Also the switch is recessed into the body within a valley of sorts. This combination has allowed the light to be packed without accidental activation but as a precaution I always pack it on low. That said everyone packs differently so without a lock out there is no guarantee it won't turn on inside your pack if ready to go.

Untwisting the cap cap reveals this strange post.

The entire inner tail cap spins. Not 100% sure why but speculate that this was done to allow proper alignment of the contacts and the tail cap to be twisted on.

The threads are anodized and square cut. There is an O-ring which will be put to the test later on in this review. The threads feel smooth when twisting.

One of the pros to the E41 over the TK40, my old but never realized dream light is no battery carrier.

The proper placement of the batteries are clearly labeled plus the springs look and feel solid. Even a goober like myslef can't mess this up though clearly between the post and 8xAA batteries (4 rundown from the light and 4 fresh) changing in the dark is difficult however only tested that in the house. Surprisingly the post hole/pin placement wasn't an issue during my field use. The run times are so long never needed to change the batteries in the woods at night. During the daylight it's easy.

The window didn't have any dust etc behind the glass or on the reflector. The LED looks centered. Not sure what that sliver retaining ring is made out of? Maybe SS or Al? In any case it looks cool. I really dislike off centered LEDs and dust behind the glass as it shows lack of attention to detail. If those are off what else is wrong which can't be seen? So A+ to Fenix.

The field use. Sometimes I take this light during dust/night conditioning hikes. In this situation the extra weight, just over 17 oz when packed with an extra set of batteries is actual a positive. Anything to increase overall stress will only enhance the training if done within reason. Looks like the sun is going down.

As stated I don't like the sheath.

Beam shot on low which is rated at 20 lumens. This is higher than some people prefer but for me within this application it works.

140 lumen medium mode. This is what I use most for hiking. The low is workable for active hiking as well.

400 lumen high mode which is only used to spotlight critters or if I am feeling turned around in any way. The beam has a wide coverage yet still throws reasonably well.

1000 lumen burst mode. I don't use this other than for pure fun. Some people might be disappointed in that it's only a burst mode that will run only as long as the switch is pressed and even then for a limited time. It's described as a burst however sometimes people only see the top numbers. I dislike the way the light must dip off before going to turbo. It then returns to the last mode used or off if turbo was activated from that position. Not sure why it's necessary for the light to go off then BLAST turbo. On the pro side the UI is simple and there is a memory.

The dunk test.

The E41 has an impressive dunk rating of 2 meters for 30 minutes. I test for reasonable situations such as submersion into a stream which could occur in the field when filtering drinking water etc etc. If a light is rated for splash or heavy rain I test for that. So in this case it's submersion into a small brook for a few minutes which is beyond the length of time I would allow a light to be underwater in case of an accident. I wouldn't just sit there looking at the light glowing underwater as was done here.

Looks like a soda pop can shaped sub with it's lights on.

The light didn't wink out so that's a good sign. I got miles to go with rock scampering ahead of me.

Nothing in the reflector or tail cap.

The rest of the field test can be seen in the video review. I did some mild climbing and rock scampering/bouldering in the video as it's just part of the workout. However I don't recommend using a flashlight for such activities. 3 points of contact are critical IMHO to maintain proper balance. That said I will always test a flashlight in this scenario to see how it preforms however take extreme care. Nothing major but even a short fall at night in the middle of no place could be bad news.

Pros and Cons.

Cons.

1. Heavy.

2. Higher low mode.

3. Could be difficult to change batteries in the dark.

4. I don't like the holster.

5. I don't like the way the UI goes to Turbo mode.

6. Turbo is a burst only mode.

7. No real lockout feature.

Pros.

1. Inexpensive for a light of this quality.

2. Easy to use UI.

3. Solid construction.

4. Amazingly bright for AA. Heck it's bright period!

5. Proven waterproof.

6. Feels comfortable in my hands.

7. I really like the beam.

8. The UI and placement of electronic switch helps mitigate accidental activation but everyone packs differently.

9. Flawless cosmetically. Centered LED, prefect anodizing and no dust behind the window.

Here is video review.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E41 blows. Period. You mean to tell me that almighty Fenix couldnt engineer electronics for the light that would take you straight to turbo without shutting off totally for a couple seconds first? Absolutely inexcusable. Why press and hold for turbo? That is inconvenient as hell and just shows another glaring characteristic of just bad electronics design. Ive got a E35UE that does the same shut off for a couple seconds before turbo engages which only stays on as long as you keep the switch held down. If I had known the light did this by design I would have never bought it. I dont buy expensive lights to get left in total darkness for a couple seconds while I upshift to turbo. The ONLY good thing about the E41 is that its high mode runs for freaking ever or until the cells give out. TN4A, D40A, EA41, GX25A3 are all better stubby AA lights than this extremely poor design from Fenix. Fenix has lost it lately with lights like the E41 and the makes no sense FD40 two hand twist not to mention the PD40 as well.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
The E41 blows. Period. You mean to tell me that almighty Fenix couldnt engineer electronics for the light that would take you straight to turbo without shutting off totally for a couple seconds first? Absolutely inexcusable. Why press and hold for turbo? That is inconvenient as hell and just shows another glaring characteristic of just bad electronics design. Ive got a E35UE that does the same shut off for a couple seconds before turbo engages which only stays on as long as you keep the switch held down. If I had known the light did this by design I would have never bought it. I dont buy expensive lights to get left in total darkness for a couple seconds while I upshift to turbo. The ONLY good thing about the E41 is that its high mode runs for freaking ever or until the cells give out. TN4A, D40A, EA41, GX25A3 are all better stubby AA lights than this extremely poor design from Fenix. Fenix has lost it lately with lights like the E41 and the makes no sense FD40 two hand twist not to mention the PD40 as well.

You won't hear me disagreeing about what you're saying in terms of the entire Turbo affair! I got not clue why it shuts off then blasts turbo. One reason why field use videos tend to be so long. Went out of my way to show people it needed to be pressed and held for turbo plus my dislike for the shut off during actual field use. It's more visual when climbing down rocks than on a table top. If I used turbo I would be pissed but I don't so like the light. Thanks for looking!