Nitecore MT20C needs an LED upgrade?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got a Fenix PD32, 2016 model with the XP-L, HI LED. It seems like a very popular light. However I like the Nitecore MT20C better because of the Up/Dn mode select buttons and direct access to max and min mode. And as others have complained on the PD32, I will too..........the tail cap switch is too stiff. So I really do like the Nitecore MT20C better.............only it has an XP_G2 LED and not an XM-L2 or XP-L :mecry:. I don't really care for the red LED, but it doesn't get in the way.

So I fired off a request to Sysmax:

Dear Nitecore,
I'd love to see an upgrade to the MT20C.........such as the XP-L. It doesn't even have to be an HI version. The Fenix PD32, 2016 model with XP-L, HI is close but I prefer the UP/DN buttons that Nitecore has. It's my favorite user interface.

Thanks,

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I never ever heard back from Nitecore on this and nothing has happened in a year so it doesn't look like they are planning on a "GT" version or upgrade to it..........so I took matters into my own hands and changed out the XP-G2 for an XP-L. Gained a little bit of output at all levels and it made the beam more floody with the hotspot a little bigger. There was nothing abnormal with the beam at all by changed to XP-L from the original XP-G2. My original XP-G2 was just a little too cool white for me and just a little too tight of a hotspot. I lost some of the throw but I have other lights for throw so it was a good upgrade for me.

kdaq

Newly Enlightened
Totally agree with you. I love my MT10A, which has an XM-L2. Output on 14500 is fantastic. Strikes me as just weird that the 18650 version uses an XP-G2.

Nice work upgrading your LED! Personally I hope they release an official GT version, like they did with the MT40. I currently EDC a MH20GT, and its output with the XP-L and larger reflector is really fantastic. But the single button interface isn't my cup of tea. MH12GT didn't do it for me either. It adds a rear forward clicky that I want, but the side button interface doesn't let you go straight into moonlight.

As a stopgap, I've ordered a MT20C, and I'm going to try my MT10A head on it. Unfortunately it will have PWM due to support of lower voltage AAs, but it never bothered me much.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny cause I love the xpg2 in my nitecore chameleon, it has a nice reachy beam without scorching or burning battery life, swings and roundabouts I guess.

kdaq

Newly Enlightened
Yup, can definitely see your POV zs&tas. From a practical standpoint the XP-G2 has more than enough light for me pretty much always, and I EDC'd lots of < 500 lumen lights in the past and got real-world use out of 'em. Was perfectly happy.
Not sure what it is, but my first XM-L put a big smile on my face. Guess I just like horsepower.:candle: :)