Olight i3E-Cu EOS Copper Mono Output Keychain LED Flashlight - Copper finish.

Tarzan the Ape King

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I'm new. Be kind.

I thought I would share my findings on a light that I won on Olights FB page. Hope you like my review.

I was lucky enough to have an Olight i3E-Cu EOS sent to me as a prize from a contest on Olight's Facebook page. (https://www.facebook.com/OlightOutdoors/?fref=ts) The unit is described as a "Mono Output Keychain LED Flashlight - Copper finish" I thought that I would share my findings with you all regarding my new light!

This light is fairly unique as far as keychain flashlights go.

First things first…the unit is solid copper…not plated…but solid copper. Over time this light will develop a patina that will change the character of the light. I have seen photos of other Olight copper flashlights that have turned a dark brown color and even some that have gotten that verdigris "green" look that copper gets over time. So far, my keychain light is still bright and shiny. I suspect that it will remain that way as it travels in my pocket, which buffs the finish with the pocket fabric. Time will tell what persona this light takes on.

Secondly, the Olight keychain light is substantially smaller than other AAA flashlights that I own. Heck, the unit is barely larger than the battery! Without getting a ruler out the size comparison is fairly obvious – the light I compared it to was 1-1/2 times longer and a bit thicker than the Olight. Somewhere in my house I recall having a mini maglight that is similar in size to the Olight…but that is exactly where the differences end. Let me explain why.

The Olight keychain light is BRIGHT and I do mean BRIGHT! With an output of 120 lumens the Olight keychain light is on par with many of the better quality lights that I own. The difference is that those lights take 2-3 AA or CR123 batteries to produce the same light output! That and they are HUGE in comparison. The Olight does the same task in a light that is the same size as my pinky finger! (actually smaller!).

The light quality is very good and pierces the darkness in a crisp, white beam. The Olight utilizes a high performance Philips Luxeon TX LED with a high quality PMMA TIR lens. Color rendering is very good with little to no color change when viewed with the Olight. The beam is nicely focused with a reasonable sized throw at practical distances. (Listed at a usable 147 feet!) It is easy to use this light for night time walks, looking for items under your desk, working on your computer case, etc. The beam is wide, but not too wide and focused, but not spot. There is little to no light bleed off to the sides of the light (light bleed) and the light is consistent throughout the beam with no shadows. Yay! the light goes where you actually want it to!

The light itself is a quality build. As previously mentioned, the light is made of solid Copper, not plated. This acts as a solid base and excellent heat sink for such a powerful LED. The machining on the light is perfect in every way. With smooth surfaces, clean lines and nicely machined serrations to insure a secure grip. The unit is sealed with O-rings to insure the unit stays water proof with square threads for easy and consistent battery changes. The battery life is listed at respectable 35 minutes for an alkaline battery and 60 minutes for NiHM battery. The light is drop rated to 1.5 meters. I have dropped the light by accident several times with no issues. That being said… Olight offers a 5 year Quality Promise warranty on this light, so I am confident that I can use this light without issue.

To operate the light simply twist the bezel and the light goes on/off very simple and straight forward. Thus far the light has not turned on by accident in my pocket…killing the battery. This drives me crazy with pocket flashlights. I think the quality build and snug O-ring on the Olight will keep this from happening. I should note, this light does not have different modes – simply on/off. I believe that Olight makes another version of this light with multiple modes low/high/strobe beam. Honestly, I am not sure if this feature is necessary for such a practical light. But hey, to each their own!

The Brass version of the Olight Keychain ring comes in a very presentable gift box with an informational sleeve on the exterior which outlines the product features, a padded foam interior and a battery! With Father's day around the corner the Olight keychain LED flashlight would be a nice gift.

In summary, The Olight I3E-CU EOS Copper Keychain Light is a very practical, easy to use tool that is small enough for every day carry. The quality construction, long battery life and practical features should insure years of service at a very reasonable price.

The Olight I3E-CU EOS Copper is available on the Olight website for $19.95 I have also spotted different variations of this light (aluminum, brass, colors, etc) on Amazon in a similar price range.

Latest posts