Lumintop (new) twistie/clickie AA not as nice as my original

Muse

Newly Enlightened
Edit: It's a AAA, not a AA.

6 months ago I received my first Lumintop AA twistie/clickie and love it. I ordered another (both of these are through Amazon), and received it a few days ago but am unhappy. There's a whole lot more resistance when trying to turn it on or off with one hand by twisting. I put a bit of Super Lube 92003 Silicone Lubricating Grease with PTFE (bought from Amazon) on the threads but it has only helped slightly. I have removed the O rings from both of these flashlights. I never liked how the original one worked with the O ring in there, I like it to turn real easy, which the original one does, but this new one simply does not. The head on the new one when put on the old one makes the old one difficult too, and putting the old one's head on the new flashlight makes it work nicely. I'm thinking of returning the new one, but would like to get it working somehow rather than resort to a return, that being a real hassle. Thanks for reading and comments, ideas.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont think of the Lumintop Tool as being made to be used by twisting, I just use the tailswitch.

the older version, before Oct 2015 iirc, had PWM, the new version does not use PWM. I would want to keep the new one, because Im a fanatic about no PWM. Maybe learn to detect PWM and then decide.

work the threads back and forth for a while.. wipe clean, lube, and repeat, they will get smoother

you can also do this with the O ring in place, it will also loosen up to work more easily over time.

If you want a twisty light, that is similar, consider the Maratac AAA. The threaded portion is longer, there is no tailswitch, and they also are tight when new, and break in to be smoother over time. Like you, I removed the O ring at first, to make it easier to twist one handed. After a while I put the O ring back, which Im now glad I did, cause I left the Maratac in my pants when I did laundry. It worked fine when I pulled it out, it stayed dry inside. the Oring means I dont have to worry about water.

here is my Copper Tool with Nichia LED, and Copper Maratac with Low CRI Cool White LED, like your stock Tool.
IMG_9837.JPG

Consider adding a Nichia LED to your experience, the Copper Tool can be had with Nichia, but not the black aluminum one. The head of the Tool also works on the Maratac, and vice versa, so you would have two different led options, and two different modes of operation to play with :)

enjoy your lights