Annoying trapped stock. Beware of sentiment

torchsarecool

Enlightened
I have a surefire ubr invictus which I got for my 30th birthday and a nitecore tm11 which I got on fathers day. I don't use them, and I'm not allowed to sell them as they're "special" to me apparently. says the wife.
This is potential trade ins for new lights but I'm stuck with them!!! It's so frustrating! Especially when there's new lights aplenty tempting me.
So beware everyone who hasnt fallen in this trap yet. If it's a light on a special occasion remember it could be for life.
That is all, rant over
Apologies if this type of post has been done before, I did check and couldn't find one. And I needed to vent

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems reasonable to me.

I have a few lights that are not "current", but their sentimental value will keep them with me forever.

But that's just me.

kj2

Flashaholic
Have a couple of those lights too. Still use them a few times a year. Mostly to see how far we have come :)

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to inject a little rebelion in here.
Unless you're a flashlight nut like us, one torch looks very much the same as another.
Sell the Surefire and the Nitecore, maybe one at a time. And replace them with the lights that you want. If you don't make a big song and dance about the new one, I doubt very much if will get noticed. Before you sell them take them out a bit and don't keep them in their boxes. The boxes are probaly the only bits that would distinguish them for a non flashaholic.
Either that or "loose them". You can replace them with the "latest model" because they don't make the old ones any more.
Sorry if that seems sneaky, but there's no point in keeping lights that you don't want, that you can trade for something that you do want.
Yours, Sneaky Pete

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for the results of following my advice.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Unless you're a flashlight nut like us, one torch looks very much the same as another.
Sell the Surefire and the Nitecore, maybe one at a time. And replace them with the lights that you want. If you don't make a big song and dance about the new one, I doubt very much if will get noticed. Before you sell them take them out a bit and don't keep them in their boxes. The boxes are probaly the only bits that would distinguish them for a non flashaholic.
Either that or "loose them". You can replace them with the "latest model" because they don't make the old ones any more.
Sorry if that seems sneaky, but there's no point in keeping lights that you don't want, that you can trade for something that you do want.
Yours, Sneaky Pete

You'd better hope your missus doesn't ever log in here. In fact...just in case mine does.....I reject this idea totally...wink wink

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about upgrading the light with a new paint job longer barrel, a quad in place of the triple and erase the model number off the side

MX421

Enlightened

On this theme, you could buy a similar looking flashlight...just be sure and keep it on a mode that is not too much higher than the other light.

On the other hand, if you embrace being stuck with them, you could mod the hell out of them. Either that, or mention to your wife that you just placed an order for all the parts to mod that special light to bring it to a "modern" flashlight. If you still want to be sneaky, inflate the prices you spent...if the price is way more than she spent, maybe she'll see reason? ;).

How about upgrading the light with a new paint job longer barrel, a quad in place of the triple and erase the model number off the side

Ag beat me to it :) by four minutes, damn i type slow:whistle:

All this being said, remember, you know her behavior (would she notice the difference in flashlights, would she be upset you spent so much, etc.) and most importantly you have to live with her.

Last edited:

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Unfortunately my wife controls all the finances. ALL OF IT! So I can't spend anything without her finding out and scrutinising it. It's really a very good thing because we would be in so much debt otherwise, but with loads of lights. And she gets to learn about flashlights along the way to, as I'm justifying each one I buy. This is why I'm stuck, she knows my lights pretty well

MX421

Enlightened
Unfortunately my wife controls all the finances. ALL OF IT! So I can't spend anything without her finding out and scrutinising it. It's really a very good thing because we would be in so much debt otherwise, but with loads of lights. And she gets to learn about flashlights along the way to, as I'm justifying each one I buy. This is why I'm stuck, she knows my lights pretty well

Well, if you convinced her to plop down as much as that Surefire on a light, then you probably are convincing enough to start teaching her about modding lights and send the lights off to Vinh...

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem of modding either the Nitecore TM11 or the Surefire Invictus that there isn't much room for modding.

I don't think Vinh is working on any more Nitecore TM lights other than the offered TM16 and TM36.

The Surefire Invictus is limited due to self contained power and probably having to do a driver and LED swap. The magnetic control ring may present a problem with a driver.

Both lights are still very nice lights. Feed them high quality batteries and enjoy.

Last edited:

torchsarecool

Enlightened
I had considered de-doming the tm11 myself. Done my gx25a3 and made it a little more interesting
Nothing I can do with the Surefire though.

ven

Flashaholic
They are special lights by themselves ............more so as gifts! Enjoy them, look after them............look forward to more flashlight gifts ,as they see your appreciation for the ones previous :D

The SF looks a great package(expensive too!!), tm11 is a small do it all light which are always handy to have knocking around.Even as a back up house/garden type light........

If the SF wont get use, maybe consider talking to Matt (vestureofblood) as he has done some SF mods of past, would be a winner with a 5000k xhp70 in!!

torchsarecool

Enlightened
I'll take on board the potential of modding the Surefire. Thanks for the tip ven I will keep Matt in mind for future.
The tm11 I'm tempted to have a go myself. I have some lights with a lot of sentimental value which will never go. But these two in particular I have never been too sure.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever you do...

...don't go for a long evening walk and accidentally drop them in the lake or river.

...or leave them behind on the train when you depart.

...or even worse...get mugged!

:laughing: