BEAM SHOTS Another commentary on the Lumintop Prince Copper/Carbon Fiber

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I originally wrote this review for TheFirearmBlog.com and thought it would be nice to share it (slightly edited) with my sisters and brothers on CFP!

Lumintop is a Chinese player looking for exposure. They have chosen Amazon as their primary source of distribution, and this Lumintop "Prince" is the second light they have sent me for review. I was so impressed with the first one that I bought 2 additional lights with either different metal or emitter.

The Prince is the first carbon fiber/brass combination light I have owned. In my opinion it is a good looking light – the blend of carbon fiber and copper is striking, and the copper provides good heat dissipation from a light that, with it's claimed 1000 lumen output on high, might naturally heat up quite a bit.

The light comes in a nice gift box with the light, a 3400mAh battery, case and 2 replacement O-rings. The light is sealed in a vacuum pouch to ostensibly protect the copper from oxidization.

These first photos are right after opening the light. As you can see, it's a nice look with the blend of materials:

There's a smooth reflector directing the output from the Cree
XM-L2 U2 emitter – it has a nice, smooth beam with a large hot spot and decent spill…more on that in the beam photos.

Lumintop's signature "bunny" is on the tail switch button. Personally I would like to see them forego the bunny for a milled slot where some of us flashlight nerds might install a tritium vial. Still, the bunny is tastefully done, and the switch works well. There is no mode memory, so the light always comes on at the low setting (assuming it has been switched off for a few seconds.) The light does not use PWM for the low levels. I am not sensitive to PWM flickering, but some folks are – you folks won't have any complaints with this light. You can cycle through LMH by lightly pressing the tail switch while the light is on, or you can simply quickly switch on/off/on/off, etc., to cycle through the modes. There is no momentary mode and the switch has a nice, positive tactile feel.

Lumintop's stated specifications:

Bulb: Cree XM-L2(U2)
Output / runtime:
25 lumens (65 Hours) - note – I measure 17 lumen
170 lumens (11 Hours) – note – I measure 144 lumen
1000 lumens (2.5 Hours) – note – I measure 639 lumen
Max Beam Intensity: 7110cd
Max Beam Distance: 169 Meters
Modes: 3 Modes(Low(Default)-Mid-High)
Size: Length: 4.49" (114mm)
Head Diameter: 0.87" (22mm)
Body Diameter: 0.87"(22mm)
N.W: 3.99oz(113g)
Working Voltage: 3v-8.4v
Battery Type: 1 x 18650 /2 x CR123
Water Resistant: IPX-8 (2 meters)
Impact Resistant: 1.5 meters
Accessories: 2 x O-ring, Holster

The light comes with the aforementioned Lumintop 3400 mAh 18650 cell - a nice touch. The stated voltage range is 3V-8.4V so you can use anything from a primary cell (with a dummy 'filler' cell) up to 2 rechargeable 16340, RCR123 or 18350 cells. The battery flexibility is another nice touch.

On my kitchen scale the light weighs just less than 5.68 ounces. That's the downside of copper on a large light like this – it is relatively heavy. The interior of the tube is still copper (with carbon fiber on the outside) so it's a solid light that you'll know is in your pocket should you choose to carry it that way.

If you prefer holster carry it does include a decent holster with a carry slot for extra batteries and a nice, covered belt clip.

I've used the light quite a bit over the last couple of weeks. In that time, as seen in the next photos the copper has started to develop a nice patina. I like this look – you may not – but that's what you will get with copper! Since the surfaces of the head are quite smooth, it would be easy to polish it, but the tail cap has a textured surface so it would take a bit more work. This photo gives a slight idea of the patina:

Finally, some 'beam shots'. I use a Canon 40D camera with a Sigma 18-50, f/2.8-4.5 lens. Focal length is set at 28mm. ISO1600. Shutter speed is ½ second. Color temp is locked at 4500k. I am holding the lights directly above the camera and lining up the front of the light with the front of the lens.

This is a daylight control shot. The building is approximately 90 feet from the camera.

The is an evening control shot – there's light pollution from several sources, but no so much as to ruin the shots.

Here are the players - labeled for your convenience:

The first shot is another Lumintop light, the TD16 – a more traditional looking tactical style light, factory rated 1000 lumen (I measure 711 lumen). Light weighs 7.1 ounces with 18650 battery. Please excuse the flare in the photo – I have no idea where it came from!

Next is the Lumintop Prince (factory rated at 1000 lumen – I measure 639.)

This is a very desirable light from Zebralight, the SC600MKIII HI, rated 1168 lumen (I measure 984 lumen). Weighs 3.9 ounces with 18650 battery.

Here's the much-loved HDS Rotary in lovely 219B Nichia High CRI. Measured at 200 lumen matching the specs. Weighs just under 4 ounces

Finally, a 'lego' of sorts I assembled from parts manufactured by Malkoff Devices. MDC AA body, VME head and the heart of this light is a Malkoff light module, the M361N with a neutral tint Cree XPG2 emitter. Malkoff rates it 375 lumen – I measure 268. It weighs 4.4 ounces with 1 14500 (AA size) battery.

Again, these photos are meant to provide you with a simple comparison of some similar yet notably different lights. Measurements are taken with my home-made integrating sphere which, while home-made, has proven to be fairly accurate through the 8 years I've used it. If nothing else, it gives accurate readings of each light relative to the other.
Here's an animated gif of the beam shot photos:

So the verdict? If you want something different and don't mind the weight it's a nice choice. For pure utility you might want to look elsewhere.

Pros:
Bright
Unique
Good Value
Includes 18650 Battery
Solid

Cons:
Heavy
Limited modes
No momentary
Did I mention it's heavy?

The light is sold through primarily through Amazon. Brass and Stainless versions are also offered.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
May not be my cuppa tea, but thank you, as always, for the comparative beamshots and sphere numbers, sir. :grin2:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I don't know about the carbon fiber thing. I though it was a poor at at heat transfer etc etc however the copper is great!. I do like the funky bunny and review.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about the carbon fiber thing. I though it was a poor at at heat transfer etc etc however the copper is great!. I do like the funky bunny and review.

Carbon fiber is just a sleeve over a copper (?) central tube. Have a look at the image #6 in the OP.

Last edited:

jruser

Newly Enlightened
Comments on tint? Hard for me to tell with these beam shots. Is this a standard CW?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incredible materials that make up this light I am very impressed! That leather holster is possibly the nicest light holster I have ever seen. BUT....no mode memory? Only 3 modes? No low voltage indicator? No over discharge protection? The electronics in this light are...well...crap. It is 2016 now. If you cannot get 1000 OTF lumens from a XML2 U2 these days then the electrical engineer(s) need to start looking for another job. The 18650 the light comes with is crap. Chinese mystery cell. Likely less than half its advertised mah. No half press for momentary on? No strobe? Do these people actually want to sell these lights and make money or what? To me this light is just a very nice host for a project. OP try 2x16340 sources Im betting the output shoots up a 100 lumens or more. Gotta say though, that truly is the most bad *** nicest holster I have ever seen come with any light.

weklund

Enlightened
... Prince CU ...

Awesome light with simple UI.

I am very pleased with mine.

PRINCECU1.jpg