OLIGHT R50 PRO or ZEBRALIGHT SC600FD MKIII PLUS

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you had a choice of only one or the other would you purchase the Olight R50 PRO or the Zebralight SC600FD MKIII Plus? And why?

DMS1970

Enlightened
Well, I haven't seen a price for the R50 pro, the standard version is about $120 retail. I assume the pro will be >$150. I expect the Olight would be better all around with far more power, but the zebralight will fit in a pocket. What is your priority?

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plus what DMS1970 indicates in the post above,

The Olight R50 Pro.

Currently, I am very eager to purchase this item. I am checking Olight, Going Gear and Battery Junction websites multiple times daily, looking to see this item make its appearance.

Why? Because it puts forth 3,200 lumens in a package that is smaller than most lights in its power class.

The Zebralight SC600FD MKIII Plus is equipped with XHP50 emitter; but how many lumens?

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me I love my current SC600 MKII and am very much looking forward to the Plus version. The thought of longer run times with the 26650 battery of the Olight is very tempting in such a small form factor with such high output.
DMS1970, I use my lights primarily for work so my priority would be a new great work light to take the place of my SC600 MKII.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the OP of this thread I am mostly curious as to what the majority of cpf users would decide on if they both hypothetically hit distribution today.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like a strange choice to make; the two lights aim at entirely different audiences, and there's not much similar in them. The SC600FD Plus is an ultra-high CRI light that's going to be small for its output and CRI combination. The R50 pro is focusing more on raw lumens and runtime with its non-cri variant XHP-70 and 26650 battery.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like a strange choice to make; the two lights aim at entirely different audiences, and there's not much similar in them. The SC600FD Plus is an ultra-high CRI light that's going to be small for its output and CRI combination. The R50 pro is focusing more on raw lumens and runtime with its non-cri variant XHP-70 and 26650 battery.

I think the similarity is that they are both highly anticipated lights. The are both compact high output flooders which are important to my line of work. Trying to decide if longer run times of 26650 outweighs my love for ZL.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you should really be deciding if you want that 93-95 CRI or not, because you'll be giving up a lot of output and runtime going from an ultra-high CRI emitter running off single 18650 to a more efficient low CRI emitter running off a much bulkier 26650.

Personally, I'll always take the higher CRI emitter, but a flashlight that's floody in beam profile makes much less sense to me compared to a headlamp. Zebralight could have given the SC600D plus a regular lens, but I'm sure they want to mitigate the doughnut-hole effect brought upon by multi-die emitters like the XHP-50.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that Olight is one of those manufacturers that doesn't believe in neutral emitters, never mind high CRI. Therefore, it's Zebralight for me. Now if Olight offered it with a high CRI XHP70 and 26650 power, I would certainly reconsider. But with cool white only? NO SALE!

Last edited:

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
This would be the easiest choice for me if zebralight would come up with a high CRI 26650 light. Feeling like I need a little more run time on the job.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight all day and night long. I have zero use for a bulky ultra high output light. The ZL on the other hand will have ingot like fit and finish, all but vanish into your pocket and puts out more than enough lumens. The MkIII platform is one of the most well designed and executed lights I have ever seen. Despite the huge output difference I see the Olight as a step down from the ZL

1c3d0g

Newly Enlightened
Olight all the way. The R50 Pro is packing a lot of punch in such a compact frame.