Replacing a sportac triple nichia 219b driver

Jbones

Newly Enlightened
Is it possible to remove and upgrade the driver on this drop in ?

its the eagletac sportac triple nichia 219b

any D.I.Y. Tips would be appreciated

Also what's the best driver I can change it to ? It's a beautiful drop in and brightness isn't a concern, the lack of modes is the downfall

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
first of all you got to mess with the module enough to access the driver. you got some hard epoxy paste to remove.

Also i wonder if there is any reason to mod for higher output....
one nice option is the BLF A6 driver or the similar sold by mountainelectronics.
you gonna get 1.5-2A MAX to each LED with this one

Croquette

Enlightened
Hi,

I didn't had to remove any epoxy.

Unscrew the optic retainer, unsolder the wires, unscrew the screw that retains the mpcb to the alu pill and then you have access to the driver.

I Punched it with a small screwdriver and hammer and done.

Carefully file your new driver to insert it in the dropin and solder to your mpcb. Don't forget to solder the driver to the drop in.

Not really difficult if you have a good soldering station.

It took me and half hour to mod mine with blf A617DD and triple nichia 219c (had to change the optic to fit triple noctigon mpcb).

Last edited:

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I remember correctly, the Sportac pills take a 16mm driver. As Croquette mentioned, most drivers come in 17mm diameter. Some filing is in your future - but be careful because PCB dust is rather toxic.

~D

Jbones

Newly Enlightened
Perfect... Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm gonna dig into this over the weekend if I work up the courage lol, I'll post pics, might make for a cool contribution

Croquette

Enlightened
If I remember correctly, the Sportac pills take a 16mm driver. As Croquette mentioned, most drivers come in 17mm diameter. Some filing is in your future - but be careful because PCB dust is rather toxic.

~D

There is a small retaining ring that can be removed to easily fit a standard 17mm driver.

the trickyest part is to solder the driverto the drop-in. You need a good soldering iron.