Am I the only one that really doesn't like rear/reverse clickies?

DMS1970

Enlightened
I've had a few in the past, shied away from the convoy S2 because of it. I just got an Astrolux S41 with quad 219b and it seems an impressive, quality little light. The rear clicky and the 1/2 clicks to change modes instantly reminds me why I don't care for them though. Love my zebralight and Olight side switches. Hate a side switch with a hold to turn off like the Klarus G30 and my old Shadow triple. I notice the convoy with the metal switch instead of the rubber over it, is this a better feel? There are some pretty high end lights with clicky switches, am in the minority?

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly - used to hate them for the longest time. Just recently I saw their true benefit. If you move into the programmable drivers like the lucidrv/lucidrv2 or switch levels regularly they can be a real time and finger saver. To switch levels, get into programming (which is usually 8 clicks or more), program setting (which can be up to 24 clicks depending on the driver), etc being able to just do a momentary off/on rather than having to do a full click off and then back becomes really convenient.

Other than the one example above though I still prefer a regular forward clicky.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, it depends on the light. My Eagletac has both, so all good there.

In general, I prefer a side switch, instead of rear clicky. I always know where the rear switch is, but that is not where my thumb is. Also, electronic switches always work, but I am old enough to recall when clickies were the first thing on a flashlight to fail.

Wait for delay is not a prob for me time-wise, but the first thing that my mind goes to instantly is "What am I doing wrong/What is wrong with the light?"

archimedes

Flashaholic
Preferred switch types (in order) ...

* Two-stage (momentary + twist)
* Twist (single mode)
* Forward clicky (mechanical)
* Electronic (tailswitch)
* Rotary (ring-type)

Not preferred (in order) ...

* Reverse clicky
* Side switch(s)
* Twist (multimode)

Last edited:

KBobAries

Enlightened
Similar thoughts here to what SOYCD posted; didn't like them until I tried one. I like having momentary mode and still prefer forward for 2 or 3 mode lights but I have a couple 5 and 6 level lights that I put reverse clickies in. The only multi-level UI that comes to mind that I wouldn't want to see with a reverse clicky option is HDS.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always preferred the forward clickie until I started EDCing my D25A. It's the only reverse clickie I own. As far as a side switch, I much rather have it on the tail cap than the side.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I prefer rear forward clickies. Electronic side clickies are not as good but beat reverse clickies in my book

Noctiluco

Newly Enlightened
Like forward clicky + magnetic ring, easy to use, intuitive, logical rumping up & down, no parasitic drain. Love clasics Sunwayman...

EldoEsq

Newly Enlightened
I can't stand the reverse clickies! I think I started a thread like this year's ago...

For work, I need momentary on...the first time I tried it with a reverse, it went through all modes. Meh...

recDNA

Flashaholic
Like forward clicky + magnetic ring, easy to use, intuitive, logical rumping up & down, no parasitic drain. Love clasics Sunwayman...
I also love the magnetic ring, preferably with a back forward clicky as well. I fear the magnetic control rings are disappearing due to popularity of side clickies with exotic ui like Zebralight. I really liked the Jetbeam TC-R2 version best but the latest RRT-OSE one got terrible reviews. The HDS is great but too expensive and then there's the low output and the wait.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer forward rear clickies, but reverse clickies allow for output control via turning the bezel, which I like. So, it depends on the lights UI.

I hate side switches, but the awesome UI of the Zebralight makes it worth it in their case. If they could put the same UI on the rear it would put the other makers out of business.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would rather have a forward clickie, but can live with a reverse. The reason I would rather have a forward clickie is that with a forward, a partial push is momentary on, while with a reverse, a partial push is a momentary off. A simple little blip of light is impossible with a reverse clickie. The Nitecore MT06 is a reverse clickie, and one gets used to it after a while. One of my current favorite lights, the BLF 348, is also a reverse clickie, but since it is a single mode light it doesn't really matter one way or the other.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would rather have a forward clickie, but can live with a reverse. The reason I would rather have a forward clickie is that with a forward, a partial push is momentary on, while with a reverse, a partial push is a momentary off. A simple little blip of light is impossible with a reverse clickie. The Nitecore MT06 is a reverse clickie, and one gets used to it after a while. One of my current favorite lights, the BLF 348, is also a reverse clickie, but since it is a single mode light it doesn't really matter one way or the other.

That is true and the type of clickie will definitely depend on the use of the particular light. If you need that push momentary then forward is the way to go.

DMS1970

Enlightened
I also love the magnetic ring, preferably with a back forward clicky as well. I fear the magnetic control rings are disappearing due to popularity of side clickies with exotic ui like Zebralight. I really liked the Jetbeam TC-R2 version best but the latest RRT-OSE one got terrible reviews. The HDS is great but too expensive and then there's the low output and the wait.

Maybe because I started with side switches, it doesn't seem exotic to me, for the ZL 1 push for turbo, long push for moonlight, 2 pushes for medium. The astrolux takes a full click for on and 6or7 partial pushes for turbo.

DMS1970

Enlightened
Also, with a clicky, the light has to be almost shoulder height to point forward and use your thumb. A side switch can be turned on down at your side just coming out of a pocket.

MaxStatic

Newly Enlightened
I always preferred the forward clickie until I started EDCing my D25A. It's the only reverse clickie I own. As far as a side switch, I much rather have it on the tail cap than the side.

I'm same, ET D25's were the first reverse clicky I liked. I have others from Fenix and Tiablo but never got along that well with them. On the D25 it just seems right.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Maybe because I started with side switches, it doesn't seem exotic to me, for the ZL 1 push for turbo, long push for moonlight, 2 pushes for medium. The astrolux takes a full click for on and 6or7 partial pushes for turbo.
Please read the first part of my post. I want magnetic control wheel. Set output before even turning on light with wheel then the forward clicky is simply to turn it on. No multiple presses like Astrolux or Zebralight.

By exotic I don't mean bad. I love my 2 Zebralights. Still, magnetic infinite adjustment is my fav and I mourn its passing.

BriteLite2

Enlightened
I hate them too!!!

I expect a cheap crappy light when I encounter a reverse clicky!!

and the UI sucks also but that's my opinion

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thing they make all kinds to accommodate the different choices people prefer. In order of my preference:

Rear tail cap forward clicky and momentary function with separate mode change button like the Nitecore UP/DN with direct access to high and low
Reverse clicky with mode changing at that switch
Single electronic side switch (slightly OK with the MH20's dual function switch)

I know the electronic side switch lights are popular. I've tried a number of them and just don't like the lack of momentary. On some the parasitic drain kind of bugs me. And they seem to have more reports of failure of the light. However, my wife likes them the best :).

Last edited: