Carley Home Brew

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't like posting works in progress, but I was really excited about this.

I got some 1" Carley reflectors in yesterday and decided to see what I could come up with. I decided to go with something flexible and simple, so I just bored out the reflector itself until an ecan/esink setup was flush with the backend of the reflector. I then threaded the back of the reflector 13/16-20. The reflector is a bit smaller than that of the PR so the beam wasn't quite as tight, but it was more than tight enough for good throw and lots of glorious sidespill. It throw really well, just not as well as a PR equipped light.

Here's the business end.

f9c68a8d.jpg

And a comparison to an L4. This light is not finished, but a size comparison can be made, using a little imagination. This particular light has a BadBoy700/Q3J ecan/esink setup in it. It was built to be fed by a single Pila 150S.

f9c68a93.jpg

f9c68a90.jpg

The beauty of this setup is that it is small and flexible, similar to the way the Pelican M6 McModules are. It can also easily be made to accomodate a kroll switch or even a twistie setup to make it even shorter.

A beam shot at 30 feet from a white wall. I hope you can see the side spill in this shot.

f9c68a8a.jpg

The only trouble I'm having is deciding what I'm going to do about a bezel ring. I was toying with the idea of using a Mini M@g bezel ring. It's outside diameter is exactly the same as that of the Carley reflector. I was afraid that the over hang of the lens retaining portion would impede the beautiful sidespill that I'm getting.

Any advise on a lens/bezel solution would be appreciated.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice post Tony! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I can't advise you on a lens/bezel solution, but I can advise you to throw out whatever is growing in that jug next to the Pepto! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif

Peter

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,

That's a big jug of BBQ sauce. I have four kids and they use the stuff like ketchup.

BTW, what would you guys think of a press fit bezel ring? The thing is that changing a cracked lens would be next to impossible.

I think I'm gonna try the Mini M@g bezel anyway. But then, where would I get more? I'd hate to have to buy a mini m@g just for the bezel ring. I guess I'll just have to turn one.

chalo

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
That's a big jug of BBQ sauce. I have four kids and they use the stuff like ketchup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. Hence the Pepto-Bismol.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tony,
You have helped me more than I could EVER help you! Anytime I can help YOU, I will JUMP at the chance! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif