question about Arc4+ tail button

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred

Newly Enlightened
I just got my Arc4+ today and absolutely love it! I have a question regarding the operation of the tail button. I was curious about the click the light made when the button was pressed, so I clicked the tail button repeatedly in complete silence. It seems that on my Arc4, when I push the button fully then slowly release, there are two "stages". There is the initial release of the button which makes no sound, then just before (and I mean literally just before I release the switch) there is a slight "click" as if there is a small micro switch that is released. Does this make any sense? It also seems to be more noticeable when I have clicked the button continuously for a while. Keep in mind that the switch works fine, I'm just curious if anyone has listened to their light when they click and release. Thanks.

knickknack

Newly Enlightened
Here's something to try, bigred. Separate the head from the battery tube. The real switch is in the head, of course. Try pressing that switch with your thumbnail. In my Arc4+, it's stiff but there is a clicking sensation and a slight noise.

By way of feedback to Peter, I wish the switch's "crossing-a-threshold" sensation was more distinct because it is greatly diminished by the time it reaches my thumb. I don't mean a louder click, just something more tactile. The Arc4+ is a fantastic light, but if there was something I could change, that would be it.

BobG

Newly Enlightened
I have two Arc4+ and one has no tactile feedback at all, it is like pushing on a pencil eraser. It works perfectly, but there is no sensation of movement in the button whatsoever, the most you can "feel" is the rubber boot deforming as you press. The other one, however, has a very distinct and slightly audible "click". It is much easier to toggle and put through it paces.

knickknack

Newly Enlightened
So there is some variability between flashlights in terms of the way the button feels. BobG, I wonder if you could get the one that feels like a pencil eraser to feel different by unscrewing the head slightly, say 1/10th of a turn at a time. Looking at the head, it seems to me the amount of solder on the pads that make contact with the battery compartment could affect switch travel. Or maybe that metal spring plate is partially compressing the switch. Not that I'm advising you to modify your light in anyway.

BobG

Newly Enlightened
knickknack,

Thanks for the idea. I just tried it and it makes no difference. I think it is the difference in the amount of flex in the switch that is in the head of the lights that gives the feel to the button and has nothing to do with the button or tailpiece itself. Just my guess.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the spring in the tail is too tight, it may cause the switch dome in the head to always be somewhat depressed. Therefore the click between states is minimized or changed. As the spring breaks in, the travel will increase and the click will become more defined. You can hurry this along or change it completely by removing the spring and compressing it with a pair of pliers (the opposite effect is also possible by stretching out the spring). This is the spring that goes behind the gold disk and is cupped by the steel disk. We also have a softer spring we can send you to try out. This is a completely new switch design and has already been through quite a bit of testing and revision. But we are still in the period of time where we learn about its unique features.

Peter

knickknack

Newly Enlightened
Yeah the amount of solder on the pads can't be the problem because the spring in the tail should make up for any differences in thickness there.

From what Peter wrote, it seems like you should be able to make the switch click by removing the tail cap and the gold disk, and pushing down on the battery. If it does click, then the spring is the culprit. If not, then the switch.

BobG

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
If the spring in the tail is too tight, it may cause the switch dome in the head to always be somewhat depressed. Therefore the click between states is minimized or changed. As the spring breaks in, the travel will increase and the click will become more defined. You can hurry this along or change it completely by removing the spring and compressing it with a pair of pliers (the opposite effect is also possible by stretching out the spring). This is the spring that goes behind the gold disk and is cupped by the steel disk. We also have a softer spring we can send you to try out. This is a completely new switch design and has already been through quite a bit of testing and revision. But we are still in the period of time where we learn about its unique features.

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the spring that was the culprit on mine. I switched the spring in the hard to press tailswitch with the one in the easy to press tailswitch (when my wife wasn't looking) and it worked. So.... I took out the stiff spring and compressed it a little and it is much, much better. Thanks everybody.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've found that the tension of the switch varies with the battery being used (probably the length of the battery is the culprit). i've examined the design of the switch, and i removed the spring and the switch still works fine. what is the purpose of the spring, and will removing it be detrimental in any way? when i removed the spring the switch tension became stiffer but more consistant between different batteries, and it no longer felt soft.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok i realized the battery rattles without the spring /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dtsoll

Enlightened
Okay, here is what I have on one of my seconds, help needed!! All I have to do is barely depress the button and it's on! Or, I can press harder and actually hear the switch, today is the first time I have found it on in my pouch. I took a pliers to the spring to no avail. Anybody have this problem, it seems to me this just started on it's own. Help!!! Doug

dtsoll

Enlightened
I took the tailpack/battery pack off my other second and it is still the same. I just barely have to touch the button and it turns on. Switch???? Dang, I just got this thing!! I still need to depress fully to get boost but just the slightest touch on the rubber button turns on and will toggle between brightness levels, no full push needed. Doug

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
doug: i have this problem with batteries that are slightly longer, and using a pair of pliers to compress the spring didn't help. perhaps a lighter spring is in order?

dtsoll

Enlightened
chamenos, any peticular batteries that are shorter? I will get a spring from Arc too! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm currently using DP batteries, and the duracell the arc4 came with seems to be shorter. i've been getting around this by denting the -ve terminal of the battery to make it slightly shorter, which increases the tension required to click the switch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i personally think peter should change the springs for all production units to a lighter one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.