Nitecore Tube UV 365nm 500mW (Spring of 2016)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received from Andrew and Amanda two days before Amazon said we would get it. First impressions are favorable. Really like the 3 second press for lockout. The USB port cover seems similar to the standard Tube. Prying from the side opposite of the flexible 'hinge' usually works best to open for charging.

The old carpet in part of our house was quite a sight in the darkness with this tool. We had fun trying to figure out whether it was human or canine (or what) that was responsible for the diverse fluorescence activation. Our $50 bill was thankfully genuine, and my abundant collection of glow-in-the-dark items lit up enthusiastically.

Seems like anyone interested in flashlights would be interested in getting a decent UV light.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hang one on a lanyard and it would be quicker and more accurate for testing bills than the pen most places use. I have never trusted the pens after hearing about the guy that bleached $5 bills and printed $50s on them. [Happened in Detroit] The paper was genuine, so the pens would pass them. The UV reactive plastic strip would still say $5 though.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light will not go on my keychain, but the compact form is nice for any transport requirement. The fact that it is easily rechargeable is a significant plus, compared to the plethora of 3X AAA's cheapo UV flashlights out there. For those who may not use the light regularly, avoiding the potential for alkaline leaks seems prudent. Looks like Innova and Photon have small UV squeeze lights, but like the many offerings for UV lights on Amazon, I could not get a feel for how powerful they are. Nitecore says 500 mW. Is that more than the average UV torch? Haven't a clue, but at least Nitecore gives that specification. And not sure anything more powerful than this Tube is needed for most applications.

Nitecore has been reliable for me. (9 purchased so far). Gave a T360 to a friend and had to order another for my wife. One of her daughters just left for Costa Rica on a college related environmental science project. Even though she did not think flashlights would be used that much, the teacher required students to bring a headlamp and regular flashlight. I was suggesting that she take my wife's T360 and a AA or AAA handheld but she wanted my wife's Tube instead. Most of the time she will be in two different cities except for a three day remote excursion without wall power. She also has the light of her phone as backup. The point I am trying to make is that these lights are handy.

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got this light. Fun little thing. I was wondering if it ramps like the original tube but the answer is no: it is either on or off or locked.
I didn't know $5, $10, and $20 bills had the UV reflective strips! Also the xp-l hi LEDs glow orange.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old carpet in part of our house was quite a sight in the darkness with this tool… Our $50 bill was thankfully genuine

could you report if the red security line shows:

Just got this light.

can you please check for these things:

Just received my MH27UV. The UV led is not true 365nm. Cannot check new USD$100 bills like my CU6. Red security line does not florescence.
CA DL does not florescence a green DOB, hidden photo florescence but not as colorful as with the CU6.

It looks more like a 395nm UV LED...

If it's using the same 500mW UV LED as the MH27UV, it's not a true 365nm.

the tube actually claims 365nm:
Nitecore T Series Tube UV
"Incredibly light and easy to carry UV LED with 500mW of power at a wavelength of 365nm"

the MH27UV claims the same:
NiteCore MH27UV
"Equiped with Versatile 500mW ultraviolet light at 365nm wavelength"

fwiw, the 1 dollar button cell version claims 395nm, as do most of the pet urine lights
LUMAND® 10 Pack Purple Uv LED Flashlight Mini Keychain Id Currency Passports Detector
"the light is 395-400 mW."

Last edited:

rs4ever

Newly Enlightened
Uploaded some photos.

Below Nitecore CU6
7af5531e-19d4-4fd9-8610-438b66d611ab.jpg~original

Below Nitecore MH27UV. You can barely make out the lines on the $10 and $20 bill. Not on the $100. Would suppose the $100 bill will be checked most.
6d4cc29e-c77d-47dc-9695-600e9ff7efd2.jpg~original

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was hoping members with other UV lights could make a comparison. Now if we could just see a Tube UV in action as well.

I have successfully used it on US $ bills indoors during the day. It is not a problem. (Didn't know that debit and credit cards also have UV marks on them)

All the lights are on in the room I am in. The 2009 series A $100 bill I have lights up violet on Franklin's left forehead. The 100 on the lower right is glittery fuchsia and to the left of that is a glittery fuchsia liberty bell.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could not get a feel for how powerful they are. Nitecore says 500 mW. Is that more than the average UV torch?

seems to depend on battery size:
the button cell photon size says 400mW
the nitecore 18650 CU6 says 3000mW

Let's try this:

tiZHJC5umMSgvwROttY04HQDmrC2aY-dFsp18DeZIgKWXyBe9yKleu9F893X2YIXe-B70KIJysCe=w960-h720-no

1UmtyY5BBDZq_wh0t6GiQMYl0LtmbiBjj2EQUCP9D6buPQCsfEkjg5IciTQ9DtLO5PWT8UZmTSbM=w960-h720-no

thanks for the pics

fwiw, I used control-click on the google photo, on my Mac, then copy image address (instead of copying the weblink at top of page), to edit your quote.

Just received my MH27UV. The UV led is not true 365nm. Cannot check new USD$100 bills like my CU6. Red security line does not florescence.
CA DL does not florescence a green DOB, hidden photo florescence but not as colorful as with the CU6.

It looks more like a 395nm UV LED. A very good 395nm UV LED since I cannot actually see much visible light, only the reflection/florescence.

Should have waited for a review first! lol..
can we get a photo of the red line and the green DOB please:)?

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

Groovy… the DOB comment was for a California poster, edited in above

but this part might apply to you also:

one of nitecores other claimed 365nM lights seems to actually be 395nM
395nM Cannot check new USD$100, the Red security line does not florescence.
can anybody get a photo of the red line with a Nitecore UVTube on the $100 please:)?

rs4ever

Newly Enlightened
Groovy… the DOB comment was for a California poster, edited in above

but this part might apply to you also:

one of nitecores other claimed 365nM lights seems to actually be 395nM
395nM Cannot check new USD$100, the Red security line does not florescence.
can anybody get a photo of the red line with a Nitecore UVTube on the $100 please:)?

Here you go, I have actually uploaded a bunch a few messages ago.
$5, $10, $20, $50 works with the MH27UV but does not florescence (very dim and hard to see in daytime) much.

Below: Example from google search Date of birth on the left above the main photo. I am not going to upload my DL but this example below shows it clearly. 395nm will excite the photo in washed out color dimly but not DOB, only 365nm UV will excite DOB and photo in correct color.

California_DL_license_sample.png

42550.jpeg

cadl.JPG

Below red florescence on a USD$100 bill with the nitecore CU6.
20160608_220048.jpg~original

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here you go...

Below red florescence on a USD$100 bill with the nitecore CU6.
20160608_220048.jpg~original

thats the CU6 Nitecore 365nM $100 Redline Money Shot up there!
thank you :)

Now I just want to know if the UV Tube can show the $100 RedLine, before I click "take my money now".. ;-)

Last edited:

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the tube UV on some bills...

XaIMGEr.jpg

As stated, the red on the 100 doesn't show as clearly as the other bills... But I do see... Something...
gXTgHKr.jpg

So yeah, the $100 is a of a disappointment for me. I should mention that the $20 seems to vary from bill to bill. The one in my pic is kinda hard to see but I have other $20s that light up that strip nicely! None of my $100s reflect that strip under the tube UV.

Edit: Noticed that the $20s with the dim reflections were the ones where the serial number starts with "E" and are from 2004. I don't have any 2004+ $20s that start with the letter "E".
I had another UV light I bought from Fry's for like $4 years ago. This one puts out a more purple light but the interesting thing is, under this light, the "E" $20 bills shine dim orange, while the other $20s shine green.

Weird huh?
LVGqgF4.jpg

And just for comparison, the same setup with the tube UV.
liSgkmF.jpg

Last edited:

rs4ever

Newly Enlightened
The UV ink do not reflect, it absorbs UV light and gets excited. Once excited it re-emits light more towards the right in the visible spectrum.

The light it re-emits depends on the UV ink mix. Some are more sensitive to a certain wavelength of light.
UV ink has a variety of colors in the light it re-emits (florescence).

Ink formulation gets changed to increase security or to make it hard to replicate.

It's almost like low CRI LED vs high CRI LED but instead of reflect, it absorbs and emits at a higher wavelength.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the tube UV on some bills…...
As stated, the red on the 100 doesn't show as clearly as the other bills... But I do see... Something...

So yeah, the $100 is a of a disappointment for me.

Thank You for posting the two pics on the right. Sounds like the Nitecore UV Tube is either too weak, or the wrong frequency to show the $100 Red Line well..

If it's [Tube UV] using the same 500mW UV LED as the MH27UV, it's not a true 365nm.

[Tube UV] Doesn't work with new USD$100 red florescence line...

My Nitecore CU6 works fine...

Thank you for the photo on the left, and all your info.
Screen%2BShot%2B2016-06-09%2Bat%2B7.51.33%2BAM.jpg