Flashlight marketing

markr6

Flashaholic
Sometimes I feel like they're all using the same one person for marketing. Maybe you can only slice and dice so many ways? I'm not saying I'm more creative :)

flashlight_marketing.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
The worst bit for me is over exposed pics,(or just silly exaggerated ones) the tm03 beam pic looks terrible and sure manufacturers think it looks better to wash out anything close up , to make it look brighter!

Of the xhp70 experience i have, the beam is pretty amazing, be it small or large reflector! .

kj2

Flashaholic
Photographing beamshots is an art IMO. Most beamshot photos are exaggerated, even in reviews. In my experience, beamshots with an exposure longer than 3 secs makes it look washed out.
But yeah, if you need to sell that's what you do ;)

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say there's a lot more inspiring photos on CPF. Some members are serious photographers.
The stuff that really gets me are the sales threads, with the "Dear Friends" and "Have a great weekend".
When they do a duplicate thread the top of my head falls off.
Just saw one titled "Wow, Wow Wow". Why on earth I click on them I don't know, maybe in the hope it will something other than what I'm expecting. Maybe I thrive on disappointment.
Think I'm becoming cynical, not getting much sleep.
P

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I have to say there's a lot more inspiring photos on CPF. Some members are serious photographers.

There sure are! I know some of Gopatji's photos were used by Acebeam. I think it was Acebeam, I could be wrong.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reading some of the promotional flashlight descriptions from companies like Nitecore can be amusing. One example is trying to say a certain model is durable by writing it can handle "jolty scenarios"

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Worlds Brightest Flashlight", "Tested by US Marines", "Military Grade" Then they steal some review pics of a triple lighting up a field and pics of a mega thrower lighting up a building 1/2 mile away!
drops the mic :banghead:

Vlada1911

Newly Enlightened
Photographing beamshots is an art IMO. Most beamshot photos are exaggerated, even in reviews. In my experience, beamshots with an exposure longer than 3 secs makes it look washed out.
But yeah, if you need to sell that's what you do ;)

Well the exposure lenght kinda depends of the light sensitivity of the sensor, as you know. But, yeah, many promotional picures are over exposed.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
after years of lurking here then being a member I have found time and again the greatest pics of lights and beam shots have been taken with...iPhones. Idk how so many CPFers set their iPhone beam shots up so well but many do and well...the results are almost always true to life and high resolution. Now when it comes down to a manufacturers claims and descriptions that aspect has in my view toned down on the BS factor quite a bit over the last two years especially when it comes to Nitecore. Two years ago NC would exaggerate their lights performance numbers to an extreme degree. Now their claims with their newer lights are proving to be accurate in independent tests across the forums. The quality of their lights has quadrupled over the past two years something which I never thought would happen.

Now when it comes to the no name Chinese lights that claim "military lights now available to the public" and "brightest light in its size class" etc such as Shadowhawk garbage that sadly sell very well to an ignorant buying public the vast exaggerations and lies will just continue. I am actually more worried about the tsunami of counterfeit cells produced in China. These potential fire hazards sell very very well. There are ten factories in China that do nothing but manufacture fake cells. All the XXXFire cells come out of these factories. Any unlabeled cell of any size comes out of these factories.

So, as of today the name brand lights have toned down the BS marketing hype but at the same time the fly by night companies in China crank out lights with horrendous QC, market them with incredibly false claims and often sell them with these no name mystery cells that may or may not explode, burst or catch fire.

TCY

Enlightened
I feel ya. Every time I look at one of these info slides I try to find which brand it is before actually reading them. They all look the same to me.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
For great marketing pictures, I bet if a manufacturer gave gopatji a free flashlight he would give the company some nice photos.
As far as the funny english translated descriptions, an english speaking school teacher should do a quick proofread and most grammatical mistakes would be solved in those flashlight ads. People often judge someones worth or value by their written and spoken word in the US.