Angryfox        
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What knives do you have incoming?

Flashaholic*

Default What knives do you have incoming?

Emerson knives recently had some Mini A-100's the site, and I have been wanting one for eons; and I was able to snag one. I thought about it for a bit, and almost didn't pull the trigger, but they aren't going to be making any for a long time, so I did. I have a black Mini A-100 in the mail!! What knife or knives do you have incoming?

Default Re: What knives do you have incoming?

I have a Spyderco Chaparral CF in the post office that I'm going to collect early nect week and a LionSteel TRE Ti with blue spacer that I just ordered from Lamnia as they have a 10% discount right now.

Flashaholic*

A Case teardrop in white mother of pearl. I collected the peanut pattern for quite some time and recently started on the teardrop pattern. I just got yesterday a Case white MOP trapper. I suspect both patterns will be rather limited supplies. The Case trapper pattern is just a wee bit large and somewhat heavy for pocket carry for me.
    will work for peanuts

CRK Seb 21 Lg Insingo with carbon fiber scale from Knife Art. Trying to find my perfect combination of CRKs for every occasion. I love the large Insingo blade!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    CRK Seb 21 Lg Insingo with carbon fiber scale from Knife Art. Trying to find my perfect combination of CRKs for every occasion. I love the large Insingo blade!
    Nice!! That is such a sweet combo!!

I have a Benchmade mini griptillian with OD handle and black coated blade on the way. My nicest knife for sure. I currently edc a Spyderco Dragonfly G10 or Delica VG-10 depending on my mood.

Edit - it arrived! I love it

Last edited by msim; 06-08-2016 at 11:15 AM.

Just received this TRE from the postman.
    So far, nice detent that it can flip open without any wrist action.
    Last edited by akhyar; 06-14-2016 at 03:58 PM.

Flashaholic*

Incoming:
    Spyderco Salt Ladybug H1 (Back up knife for my change pocket. I love my Black Pacific Salt)
    Two Busse's (Can't freaking wait for these!)
    Koster W&SS neck knife. (FYI: I ordered it on 11/2/14, Only 1 update from this guy just a few days ago via forum. Actually, I gave up. I have no clue if I will ever get the knife. Needless to say, I will never order from him again.)
    Last edited by Str8stroke; 06-14-2016 at 03:50 PM.
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

Good ol BK2! Never had one so I'm pumped

Victorinox Hercules on the way! Best bushcraft SAK ever made!

(Imagine if Leatherman never existed. All multi-tools would look like the Hercules.)

Also.... After considering the very new Vic Walker model (basically a Bantam with an extra layer to accommodate a saw), I seriously considered just a black-handle Bantam. Now I want a black-handle Waiter instead (sometimes called the Bartender) to go with my red-handle Waiter. Along with the Hercules, I also ordered spare mini-screwdrivers from Vic's official site. The Waiter really needs it since it has no mini screwdriver feature due to the non-standard combo can/bottle-opener tool. So now to track down a black Waiter. Wish me luck!
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic*

​Pix Monocrom?

Sorry, having a particular issue with my Smartphone. Don't want to get into it. Have no dedicated digital camera. Give me about three days, maybe a bit less, and I'll post pics of my new Hercules. For those who really don't need a full-sized set of pliers with hard wire cutters, it's excellent!

Also, have hit a dead end with my search for a black scales Waiter. As apparently the very slightly smaller 84mm SAKs come with red plastic scales only. (Except for a couple of incredibly rare branded [as in other company logos made by Victorinox for those companies] limited editions that I couldn't track down.) So, that search is basically over.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by TKC View Post
    ​Pix Monocrom?

Time to keep a promise.

First pic., an exploded view of the tools. Along the top (and a bit hard to see) sewing reamer, and corkscrew. The tiny eye-glasses micro screwdriver does not come standard on the Hercules model. (Honestly, considering the price, it should). I added that myself by buying extra ones direct from the Victorinox shop. And yeah, that's it for the tools on the back of the Hercules. The two philips drivers actually fold deep into the handles. You have to first access the pliers to get to one of the drivers, and the scissors to get to the other one. Overall, a good use of space. Other tools include the toothpick, tweezers, the locking main blade (3" cutting edge, 3.5" blade; and none of the other tools lock) wood saw, standard Vic. can-opener with small slotted screwdriver, bottle-opener larger slotted driver and wire-stripper tool. It doesn't lock into place, but has two positions. 90-degrees and 180.
    [/IMG]http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r482/Monocrom/Herc_tools.jpg[/IMG]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Next up, check out the thickness when this thing is placed down on its spine. You can just see the outline of the square locking button in the pic. I did post a pic. showing it more clearly, along with a quarter for size comparison of this 111mm SAK. But CPF decided to act up and now I cannot post that pic, nor a link to it. Sorry.
    [/IMG]http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r482/Monocrom/Herc_thick2.jpg[/IMG]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A close-up of the admittedly rather small pliers. Great for a variety of bushcraft uses, such as taking a small pot off the fire by gripping onto the pot bale. Though if you need to tighten average-sized nuts or work under the hood of your car, a more traditional multi-tool is going to be best.
    [/IMG]http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r482/Monocrom/Herc_pliers.jpg[/IMG]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Note: after clicking on the close-up of the pliers, click on the left arrow to see the 4th pic. that I wasn't able to post here for some bizarre reason.

Ultimately, no; it's not a viable replacement for a good reasonably priced multi-tool that centers on a full set of pliers. In fact the Victorinox Hercules is rather pricey. Mine was $106.oo, compared to just over $40.oo that I paid for my Leatherman Sidekick. Also, for some bizarre reason, this thick and somewhat heavy Victorinox model comes with zero accessories. My Leatherman came with an excellent nylon sheath and the surprisingly well-made Leather carabiner/bottle-opener. (I thought it was going to be rough as Hell with plenty of sharp edges. Nope!) You don't even get a decent quality belt pouch. And it's not like Victorinox has none in its stables.

(My Victorinox One-hand Hunter XL 111mm model came with a very good nylon belt pouch.)

I wanted the Hercules to see what all the fuss was about in the Bushcraft community. Why is this model arguably the most popular SAK. After getting one, I get it.... Not going to be everyone's cup of tea. Main advantages it has over my Sidekick for example is a longer saw and that sewing awl which the Sidekick lacks. I guess you could add a handy place for a toothpick and tweezers too. The Sidekick beats it in every other regard. Including having a locking saw. I'd give overall fit & finish to the Victorinox though. There are times you will notice that the Sidekick and other budget-leaning multi-tools are built to a price-point.

In a pack or perhaps with a good strong lanyard hanging off a belt and dangling inside a pocket, I can see the Hercules being a fantastic folding knife back-up to a fixed blade in the woods. And, with a ton of extra versatility you don't get with many other locking folding knife models.... even some from Victorinox. Yes, those extra tools translate into a thick grip. But nothing outrageous. It's thick, but offers a good compromise between the number of useful tools and thickness needed to accommodate those tools.

If anyone has questions about this SAK, feel free to ask.
    Last edited by Monocrom; 07-09-2016 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Site acting up.

Mono, looks good. I have a Vic knife with the same pliers. They work ok for small light work. I retired it for the Leatherman Skeletool. The pliers are real and I picked up a Bit accessory kit. That kit makes the tool super useful.
    Interested in Saltytri lights. Pm me!

Flashaholic*

​Thank you for the pix.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8stroke View Post
    Mono, looks good. I have a Vic knife with the same pliers. They work ok for small light work. I retired it for the Leatherman Skeletool. The pliers are real and I picked up a Bit accessory kit. That kit makes the tool super useful.
    Thank you. My smartphone doesn't do it justice though. Looks even better in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by TKC View Post
    ​Thank you for the pix.

You're Welcome. And you wouldn't believe how many times I've tried to make just this post. CPF is now freezing up like crazy on me. My apologies for not being able to post the pics. directly. Looks like my timing was bad. I'll check back in a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Time to keep a promise.

First pic., an exploded view of the tools. Along the top (and a bit hard to see) sewing reamer, and corkscrew. The tiny eye-glasses micro screwdriver does not come standard on the Hercules model. (Honestly, considering the price, it should). I added that myself by buying extra ones direct from the Victorinox shop. And yeah, that's it for the tools on the back of the Hercules. The two philips drivers actually fold deep into the handles. You have to first access the pliers to get to one of the drivers, and the scissors to get to the other one. Overall, a good use of space. Other tools include the toothpick, tweezers, the locking main blade (3" cutting edge, 3.5" blade; and none of the other tools lock) wood saw, standard Vic. can-opener with small slotted screwdriver, bottle-opener larger slotted driver and wire-stripper tool. It doesn't lock into place, but has two positions. 90-degrees and 180.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Next up, check out the thickness when this thing is placed down on its spine. You can just see the outline of the square locking button in the pic. I did post a pic. showing it more clearly, along with a quarter for size comparison of this 111mm SAK. But CPF decided to act up and now I cannot post that pic, nor a link to it. Sorry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A close-up of the admittedly rather small pliers. Great for a variety of bushcraft uses, such as taking a small pot off the fire by gripping onto the pot bale. Though if you need to tighten average-sized nuts or work under the hood of your car, a more traditional multi-tool is going to be best.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Note: after clicking on the close-up of the pliers, click on the left arrow to see the 4th pic. that I wasn't able to post here for some bizarre reason.

Ultimately, no; it's not a viable replacement for a good reasonably priced multi-tool that centers on a full set of pliers. In fact the Victorinox Hercules is rather pricey. Mine was $106.oo, compared to just over $40.oo that I paid for my Leatherman Sidekick. Also, for some bizarre reason, this thick and somewhat heavy Victorinox model comes with zero accessories. My Leatherman came with an excellent nylon sheath and the surprisingly well-made Leather carabiner/bottle-opener. (I thought it was going to be rough as Hell with plenty of sharp edges. Nope!) You don't even get a decent quality belt pouch. And it's not like Victorinox has none in its stables.

(My Victorinox One-hand Hunter XL 111mm model came with a very good nylon belt pouch.)

I wanted the Hercules to see what all the fuss was about in the Bushcraft community. Why is this model arguably the most popular SAK. After getting one, I get it.... Not going to be everyone's cup of tea. Main advantages it has over my Sidekick for example is a longer saw and that sewing awl which the Sidekick lacks. I guess you could add a handy place for a toothpick and tweezers too. The Sidekick beats it in every other regard. Including having a locking saw. I'd give overall fit & finish to the Victorinox though. There are times you will notice that the Sidekick and other budget-leaning multi-tools are built to a price-point.

In a pack or perhaps with a good strong lanyard hanging off a belt and dangling inside a pocket, I can see the Hercules being a fantastic folding knife back-up to a fixed blade in the woods. And, with a ton of extra versatility you don't get with many other locking folding knife models.... even some from Victorinox. Yes, those extra tools translate into a thick grip. But nothing outrageous. It's thick, but offers a good compromise between the number of useful tools and thickness needed to accommodate those tools.

If anyone has questions about this SAK, feel free to ask.
    There you go

Thank you! I appreciate the assist.

Going to try this again and get that 4th pic. up. (Fingers crossed.)

HA! I made at least five attempts to post Little Red and the Quarter. Nope! No luck. Ven, like a Boss.

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Nothing's incoming, however, this what I have now. Maybe a Spyderco?

Customs:

Emerson
    Pat Crawford
    Alan Elishewitz
    Hinderer
    William Henry
    Randall's

Productions from:

Hinderer
    Vintage Emerson's
    1990's Benchmade's
    New and vintage Spyderco's
    Strider's
    SAK's
    1998 Micro-tech
    Chris Reeve

...and more.
    Last edited by RedLED; 07-14-2016 at 11:05 PM.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Flashaholic*

Battle Horse Knives - Smokey Mountain Razor

Flashaholic*

A Kershaw Cryo Blackwash

I've got two Spyderco Mule blade blanks in MAXAMET on the way. Wow am I excited! They just went on sale this morning and I was on the horn to Golden Colorado bright and early.

A tester over at Bladeforums cut 3/4 of a mile of corrugated cardboard with one and it still sliced phone book paper!

3/4 of a MILE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Str8stroke View Post
    Koster W&SS neck knife. (FYI: I ordered it on 11/2/14, Only 1 update from this guy just a few days ago via forum. Actually, I gave up. I have no clue if I will ever get the knife. Needless to say, I will never order from him again.)
    Koster has for years been behind schedule with his runs of knives. I've patently waited for a few and one (a full-flat ground 3V Bushcrafter) is one of my favorite knives. Frustrating to wait for though. I ended up getting that one when I got an email saying he had some leftovers and I guess I don't have a negative feeling about it like I did with the others I owned. I don't blame you in the least for never ordering from him again. Life's too short and now there are a good number of makers using 3V and crafting wonderful knives.

Flashaholic*

Just ordered an all black Kershaw Leek. Amazon price was substantially less than at Knifecenter..

This technically counts..... A Kershaw Cryo.

Ironically, been quite awhile since I had a less than 3" bladed one-hander. Guess I'm overdue.

Okay, so; VERY excited about this one!!!

ESEE 6. But wait! Not just any ESEE 6. A semi-custom one. I could call it "custom" but not really fits. One of three ESEE 6 blades (okay, two since the most common one is sold out). Choice of several pre-made custom G-10 handle slabs, choice of regular plastic sheath (Boo! The ESEE 5 gets kydex right from the factory.) Or, custom kydex!

So yeah, went with the regular blade option but with partial serrations, towards the back of the edge. It was that or the clipped point version that I really wasn't into. Normally can't stand serrations, but on a wilderness knife; they do come in handy when processing wood for feather sticks. Plus, the serrated pattern is easy to touch up if needed.

Combination dark green and black G-10 slabs in a beautiful pattern. Plus, Kydex sheath in gunmetal grey with a nice thick leather loop on the back! Oooo.... Can't wait!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast