My Tiny Sun LED upgrade and driver QA

Raven1

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

I'm looking to upgrade the LED of my My Tiny Sun Head Pro 1000 head torch. It has a Cree XM-L U2 LED and I would like to replace this with the current brightest Cree XM-L2 chip. I'm not sure whether the upgrade would be worth it for a few extra lumens but it would be an interesting project as well. I guess there are two parts to my question:

1) Which Cree XM-L2 LED bin would be the brightest and suitable for a head torch upgrade?
2) If i replace the LED, do I need to change the driver as well, or should the existing driver be compatible to fully utilise the upgraded LED?

Apologies for the seemingly simple questions - I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to electronics.

swan

Banned
Since no one has responded i will give you the good oil.

I would just swap the led to a xml2 u4 with a copper star [ up to 1344 lumens at 3 amps] which is currently the brightest. This should see a gain of 30% in output over the
old xml, so with such a gain i would leave the driver stock for reliability.

To replace the led measure the led mcpcb width and thickness [star on which the led is soldered to] and replace it with xml2 u4 on a copper Noctigon star of the same size. These are direct thermal path type which means the led substrate is directly soldered to the copper star offering gains in itself through thermal efficiency and thick traces.

Have a look at Mountain electronics or international outdoor store for the leds and good luck.