Need DIY Hall Sensor magnetic power switch pics

UweK

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I have been up and down the forum and over Google but I am not finding much so I'd kindly like to ask if you guys can please show some pictures of a basic DIY Hall Sensor magnetic power switch on a DIY light and also please add info if yours is not on a ring.
If possible I would really like to see how this switch will work on a homebuilt Maglight especially if used as a canister dive light.

The request is because of not finding any other options via Google for switches used on the head of a dive light with a strong LED like the XHP70.

Thanks Uwe

/steve/

Newly Enlightened
Hi there!
First of all I would suggest to use a reed-switch. This is like a switch which activates when a magnet is close by. Second a reed-switch isn't that powerful in it's switching capabilities (not much current) that's why you should use a n-channel Mosfet (for example IRFZ44N) with gets switched on with the reed-switch. (the reed-switch pull the gate of the mosfet high when activated, don't forget a pull down resistor from gate to ground:)
good luck

UweK

Newly Enlightened
Hi there!
First of all I would suggest to use a reed-switch. This is like a switch which activates when a magnet is close by. Second a reed-switch isn't that powerful in it's switching capabilities (not much current) that's why you should use a n-channel Mosfet (for example IRFZ44N) with gets switched on with the reed-switch. (the reed-switch pull the gate of the mosfet high when activated, don't forget a pull down resistor from gate to ground:)
good luck

Steve man thanks. You painted a much better picture for a noob than the other posts that just say "which mosfet". I did not know that a mosfet is something that can handle the strong current.

UweK

Newly Enlightened
Can someone please tell me what words to use if I want to search for a pre-made reed switch "actuator". IOW a prefabricated switch containing a magnet on a slider -to attach on the outside of the host.

Last edited: