Quark Smart QS2L-X thoughts and led swap

netprince

Enlightened
I used the recent Memorial Day sale to try out one of the new 4sevens smart lights, I went for the QS2L-X.

Here are some brief thoughts and a few pictures:

1) I was hoping to use a 16650 cell to run this light. Even though the spec clearly states 4v minimum, I was still hoping. Well, as others have discovered, the light pretty much shuts down with a 16650 cell. (I get moonlight and a flashing red low battery alert)

2) I was not expecting the unusual tailcap design. It requires more force to function than I prefer. The force required to activate the tailcap pretty much ruins all momentary modes for me. I do wish the tactical interface would latch on after short clicks, and just stay on momentarily for long clicks.

3) I use an android phone, and the app is not out yet for android. I stole my wife's phone long enough to try the app, but that ship has sailed and I'm stuck now in tactical mode... (see next item)

4) Pulling the batteries switches me back to the tactical UI. Doesn't matter how fast I do it, I'm always back to tactical. Is this because I'm no longer syncing with a phone? (I see there is away to switch the UI without a phone now, need to find that info again)

Those are some negatives, now to some positives:

5) The side switch is really nice. I like how it can be configured to stay lit 24/7.

6) There are several very low moonlight levels. Press and hold the side switch from off, and there are something like 3 moonlight modes.

7) The phone interface seems pretty good, I am looking forward to the android app...

8) Finally, there was almost no thread lock on my light. I was able to open it by hand, between the body and head and between the bezel and head.

Here's my light with a nichia 219C installed. (sorry for the dusty lens)

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

KCL Knives

Newly Enlightened
What did you gain by switching to a nichia 219c? I like the led and the tint as it comes. In fact I just ordered a qs2l-x in addition to my QSL.

Last edited:

netprince

Enlightened
I prefer a neutral tint with higher CRI. For my preferences, swapping the LED was an upgrade. Many do not have this preference, and that is OK.

I was pleased that my sample wasn't terribly thread locked because swapping the LED was super easy.

netprince

Enlightened
Yeah I didn't take any shots. It's the standard quark beam profile really. That is it's good.

netprince

Enlightened
Just a quick update... I borrowed an ipod touch and played with the app some more... My favorite UI is pro with everything disabled but low,med,high. That makes using the tail switch easier, and I can still access moonlight modes with the side switch.

I'm glad I gave this thing a try... I'm starting to like it more...

netprince

Enlightened
Just another small update... Today I received some EFEST Red IMR 16340's (button top v2) from going gear... And the feel of the tail switch is much better with these batteries than the 4sevens primaries that came with the light. The actual click is much more pronounced. I will continue to carry this light for a while and post if anything changes...

netprince

Enlightened
Just another discovery for those who are interested. I turned on the nightlight feature, but that feature may not be meant to be kept on, because I seem to burn through my batteries in about 48 hours with it on.

The nightlight feature keeps the battery status light on 24/7. Its very low output, so there must be some additional sleep mode which gets disabled when the nightlight feature is enabled. I'd guess the control circuit is not going to sleep like it should... I'd bet this can be corrected in software... but so I will turn that off for now.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased a Smart QSL and am looking forward to it. Hopefully the android app shows up some day.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just another discovery for those who are interested. I turned on the nightlight feature, but that feature may not be meant to be kept on, because I seem to burn through my batteries in about 48 hours with it on.

The nightlight feature keeps the battery status light on 24/7. Its very low output, so there must be some additional sleep mode which gets disabled when the nightlight feature is enabled. I'd guess the control circuit is not going to sleep like it should... I'd bet this can be corrected in software... but so I will turn that off for now.

How do you turn on the "nightlight" feature, and where did you learn about it? Thanks!

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you turn on the "nightlight" feature, and where did you learn about it? Thanks!

It is in the app. Need an iPad or Iphone. I turned my nightlight off using my wife's iPhone but was playing with some old batteries and it came back on. Need to borrow my wife's phone again. I want to turn off the side switch green light completely, unless I push it. It blinks after use; I think it is the blue tooth that causes the blink. I may turn the blue tooth off. I don't need it on since no android app.

Last edited: