**NEW** Nitecore TubeUV Review (This thing is awesome sauce)

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Nitecore Tube UV

DSC_1822_zpsest4drfz.jpg

DSC_1821_zpsybulwqzz.jpg

DSC_1826_zpsuxvi3cf6.jpg

DSC_1827_zpskeqcy4zo.jpg

Manufacturer specs

• Featherweight and handy design
  • Good for money, identity cards detection, verification mark reading and fluorescence activation
  • Featuring 500mW power, 365nm wavelength ultraviolet LED
  • Integrated intelligent Li-ion battery charging circuit (micro-USB charging port)
  • Built-in rechargeable Li-ion battery provides a runtime of up to 1 hour
  • Single switch offers easy one-handed control
  • Constructed from durable Polycarbonate materials
  • Dual metal key ring connector withstands up to 77lbs (35 kg)
  • Impact resistant to 1.5 meters

• Runtime: 1 hour
  • Dimensions: 2.22" x 0.83" x 0.31" (56.5mm x 21mm x 8mm)
  • Weight: 0.34oz (9.6 gram)(with battery)
MSRP: ~$12

image2_zps0qp83qnr.jpg

image1_zpsx9wx40yr.jpg

Appearance

The Tube UV is a translucent, lightweight plastic (Mine is a black plastic, but there are assorted colors). You can see the electronics inside the light. "Nitecore" is imprinted on top.
The button protrudes well out of the top and is easy to feel and use. There is also a metal hook on the back of the light. There are shapes imprinted on the top and bottom of the light either for design or grip, I find that the TubeUV is so lightweight that nothing really detracts or adds to the grip of it.

User Interface
To activate the light, simply press the power button on top. To turn it off, press the button again. The TubeUV does not have any modes, only on and off. To put the light into "lockout" mode, hold the on button for 3 seconds. This makes it so that the light can not be activated. To re-activate the light again, press and hold the on button for 3 seconds.

Physical Tests
I dropped the TubeUV from head height onto many surfaces. (Carpet, grass, and tile)
The Tile worried me a bit because I thought the plastic would crack or shatter but there was no damage done whatsoever. The sound was not pleasing but no scars were left.

I did not put the TubeUV in water completely; however, I did spray water onto it, covering it completely and no performance was hindered.

The battery does not come out of the light unless 4 screws on the bottom are unscrewed. The battery is NOT meant to come out, which is why it has the USB recharging feature on the side of the light.

The TubeUV seems to be a true 365nm light. It EASILY shows the hidden strips on cash and does not show much visible illumination besides UV reflecting surfaces/colors/textures/whateveryoucallit.

DSC_1840_zpsbeqagh9q.jpg

DSC_1838_zpsafbxghco.jpg

Here is a $50 bill with normal incandescent light and with the TubeUV

DSC_1842_zpstykmo7dx.jpg

DSC_1841_zpsphlk57uy.jpg

Beam pattern
The TubeUV does not have a visible beam pattern. At most it is a very hard-to-see shade of purple but it is difficult to see the edges of illumination.

To recharge the TubeUV, simply plug in a (not included) micro USB cord into the side.
A Blue LED inside will light up during charging and go out when it is complete.

image3_zpshz945wqf.jpg

Personal Opinions
At first I was a little blown, thinking "Alright what can I do with a UV light..."
BUT
Then it came night. I was walking around the house shining this all over the place to see what would light up bright blue. I shined it at pictures, maps, clothes, everything. The UV light makes things that glow in the dark, start to glow VERY brightly. The only light I have seen that has made things glow as bright as this does, is a blue 445nm laser pointer.
As nasty as this sounds, it is very helpful for cleaning the bathroom. Just shine it on the walls around the toilet and you will see what I mean..
:green:

I think this light is very fun to have! Although I do not have THAT many uses for it, I enjoy playing with it! It's interesting to see what it will illuminate and what you can see that is hidden to normal light. I can see how this would be very useful to security or anyone who needs to validate cash, passports, etc.. because it is small, lightweight, durable, and rechargeable!

PROS

Genuine 365nm
Durable
Lightweight
Rechargeable
Water resistant
Fun
Strong hook on the back
Simple UI

CONS
Not IPX8

Bottom line, I would recommend this to someone who works in security/airport or a janitor. Or to someone who wants to write invisible secret notes to his girlfriend. I just may use it for that as well! ;)

**EDIT**
This thing really is cool if you can get invisible ink. You might not think you have a need for a UV light but at only around $12, it is well worth it. Just like regular people don't think they need to EDC a flashlight. Once you try it, you realize just how great it is!

TubeUV provided by Nitecore for review

Last edited:

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think they offer different colored cases for the tube UV like they did the original tube.

Good review tho!