O-Light SR 2 Baton is D.O.A. on my desk

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last March, I picked up the O-Light S 2 Baton. While it did not have a charging station, the price was right because I have several chargers and a 'few' 18650 cells. For the past 2 months or so the S 2 has sat on my metal desk top, attached at the base facing up. It is one of my 'go to' lights within an arm's reach while sitting at my desk. It's been a very powerful source of light in a small package. a few minutes ago while attempting to illuminate some of my work area I reached for the S 2. It was dead. I changed the 18650 cell (seemed to be fully charged) and tried another cell and still no light, nothing. Since my desk is NOT below 2 meters of water and NOT in 'hyper extreme' temperatures, I am at a loss to understand HOW & WHAT happened to the light? As an outspoken advocate of personal LED lighting, it gives me cause for concern when a quality brand such as O-Light, existing in 'ideal climate conditions' (65 to 85 degrees F) suddenly fails. It had been OFF for about a week with a fully charged cell inside. When I turned it ON a while ago it failed to respond.
FWIW I did not need an 'excuse' to pick up that awaited new Zebralight "Plus" version of the SC 600Mk III HI .
All kidding aside, this was a very well built, powerful quality light that I really liked. Sad to have it fail.:shakehead

After checking a lot of orders from BatteryJunction, I recalled that I was impressed with a special deal at AMAZON including a nice USB LED light and placed the order at AMAZON (ooops?!) in March. Now that the light has failed, 2 months is apparently past the AMAZON return deadline.
This only serves to re-enforce the need to deal with a QUALITY domestic seller such as BattJunction. I would have expected a replacement being sent out as soon as they knew about the problem

Does anybody here at CPF have an idea of what could be causing the problem? THANKS!!!

Last edited:

swan

Banned
I think you mean the S2

Interesting that you have had it for one year or so- this light was only released 7 months ago.

Olight has 5 years warranty.

DMS1970

Enlightened
The light could be an R20, with the referral to the charging station.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update:
here's my message to my AMAZON seller;

Hello thanks for your help with my order Ordered on Mar 14, 2016 (###-#######-#####) . I really liked That O-Light S2 Baton and nice green colored white USB LED light. It's less than 3 months later, under ideal conditions and the SR2 has completely failed. It will not work despite changing (fully charged)18650 cells. I have owned other O-Light products yet this is the WORST ownership experience I have had in recent memory.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: O-Light S 2 Baton is D.O.A. on my desk

Thanks for the observation:) Yes I mean the S2 baton from O-Light. a 18650 cell powered ligtht

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you mean the S2

Interesting that you have had it for one year or so- this light was only released 7 months ago.
Olight has 5 years warranty.

Thanks! Yes you are right, I bought it in March of this year
(had it confused with my S10R)

DMS1970

Enlightened
Thanks for the clarification. I hope they make good on it for you. The only downfall is the return shipping to China can be pricey. I understand that GoingGear is in Georgia, and other sellers are also in north America for easier returns. Some of the S15Rs I bought from goinggear were only 17.99 with the charging base on sale last year. If one of those crapped out, I would consider the light almost disposable. Hope it works out well for you. Love my S1 and S2 flashlights.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update:
here's my message to my AMAZON seller;
Hello thanks for your help with my order Ordered on Mar 14, 2016 (###-#######-#####) . I really liked That O-Light S2 Baton and nice green colored white USB LED light. It's less than 3 months later, under ideal conditions and the SR2 has completely failed. It will not work despite changing (fully charged)18650 cells. I have owned other O-Light products yet this is the WORST ownership experience I have had in recent memory.

UPDATED UPDATE On Thursday I heard from to my Amazon seller (even after Amazon's self stated 15 day return limit policy)

Hi,
Please return product to,
EdisonBright,
RMA: ***-******-*******
One Cragwood Road, Suite 301
South Plainfield, NJ 07080
Please include a note in package with,
1. Order number
2. Reason for return
3. Current return address.
It is advisable for you to email us return package tracking number and your current address to expedite process.

Thank you,
Customer Service.
EdisonBright

I was glad to get this note!

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the clarification. I hope they make good on it for you. The only downfall is the return shipping to China can be pricey. I understand that GoingGear is in Georgia, and other sellers are also in north America for easier returns. Some of the S15Rs I bought from goinggear were only 17.99 with the charging base on sale last year. If one of those crapped out, I would consider the light almost disposable. Hope it works out well for you. Love my S1 and S2 flashlights.

I wish I has known about that EXCELLENT DEAL! way to go!
I went through that same expensive return shipping that with my Skilhunt headlamp. I was happy to learn that the amazon seller is in New Jersey, and apparently I don't have to return it to China

Last edited:

DMS1970

Enlightened

I wish I has known about that EXCELLENT DEAL! way to go!
I went through that same expensive return shipping that with my Skilhunt headlamp. I was happy to learn that the amazon seller is in New Jersey, and apparently I don't have to return it to China

For the last 2 years, I've bought most of my lights between Black Friday and Jan 1. Not the newest models usually but great sales that compare or sometimes blow away the group buys you see around.