What the best 14500 battery?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow! Its amazing that so many long timers are still hung up on AW! Yes they are very good cells but the Sony based 840mah Keeppower is just a better cell. Much higher capacity, the PC's are just as good if not better than AW's and the wrap is just as high quality. Where do you even get AW's these days? I almost never see them for sale at all anywhere.

The 840mah Sanyo cell has the most even and steady power delivery from low amp draw to high amp draws that would have the AW tripping its PC circuits. Man...I spend way to much time studying HKJ's reviews.

ven

Flashaholic
Just to be aware, there are 2 Sanyo cells, iirc an 800 and 840mah as CC suggests(great cell!). There are differences in length, if the light is cell fussy on the length, the 840 maybe a tight fit or a none fit with protection.

I dont use many 14500 cells(prefer 16340 form ), of the ones i do i use KeepPowers which are sanyo inside i believe.

Now most of my 14500's are IMR , AWT or efest flat/button tops for the size.................still i dont have that many, maybe under 10 total.

TheBelgian

Newly Enlightened
wow! Its amazing that so many long timers are still hung up on AW!

The sanyo ur14500 840mAh battery is awesome, but for me, the only available version is the keeppower, which has no metal plate at the bottom, meaning my Zebralight H52Fw's scratchy spring would eat its way through the bare pcb contact. Furthermore, the keeppower is quiet beefy and doesn't fit in all 14500 lights. Thats why the AW is a good and safe bet.
PS: I'm going to get some 14500's for my sc52w, which doesn't have quiet as scratchy a spring, so I may risk keeppower 840mAh. Does anyone know if it fits the sc52? I recall some people saying it didn't fit or was a really tight fit.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sanyo ur14500 840mAh battery is awesome, but for me, the only available version is the keeppower, which has no metal plate at the bottom, meaning my Zebralight H52Fw's scratchy spring would eat its way through the bare pcb contact. Furthermore, the keeppower is quiet beefy and doesn't fit in all 14500 lights. Thats why the AW is a good and safe bet.
PS: I'm going to get some 14500's for my sc52w, which doesn't have quiet as scratchy a spring, so I may risk keeppower 840mAh. Does anyone know if it fits the sc52? I recall some people saying it didn't fit or was a really tight fit.

The zebralights have built in over discharge protection. Why not run the bare cell?

JB007Rules

Newly Enlightened

This is BEYOND overkill for a flashlight no? 9A continuous discharge??? There is no way you'd need more than about 2 - 3 Amps.... Lower amperage = higher capacity... This battery doesn't make one lick of sense in the flashlight world (Yes, in the vaping world but not in the FL world...)

Stick with the 840MA Sanyo's!! (Panasonic)

msim

Enlightened
This is BEYOND overkill for a flashlight no? 9A continuous discharge??? There is no way you'd need more than about 2 - 3 Amps.... Lower amperage = higher capacity... This battery doesn't make one lick of sense in the flashlight world (Yes, in the vaping world but not in the FL world...)

Stick with the 840MA Sanyo's!! (Panasonic)

Works great in my BLF X5.

JB007Rules

Newly Enlightened
I never said it wouldn't work. It will work just perfectly fine :)

I'm just stating that you can get more run time from the Sanyo. Although I'd like to see some real world testing to prove that too (to be fair)

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
For higher current use, there is also the Sony US14500V. These do seem to be somewhat hard to find. But with 680mAH and 5A maximum current draw combined with a good qualiy cell, they seem like they are the way to go if you need more amps than the Sanyo UR14500p can provide.

GODOFWAR

Banned
Does the light have low voltage cut off? I am asking these questions cuz I want to buy one is it a good light?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, thanks for all these informative postings, when I bowed out of the flashlight scene due to health reasons (had a stroke but after long and hard work I am back :) ) as I was saying, when I was last online the only cells worth talking about were AW's and the rest of the ****fires (Soshine 18650s protected working well for me for the past few years).

Where would I go to purchase these cells?

Torky455

Newly Enlightened
TheBelgian, I run a Keeppower 840 in my SC52 with no issues. Also fits my H52w. Hope that helps.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything from illumination supply and mountain electronics I would trust

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must say that is a mighty fine looking flashlight BTW.... However I question how it's possible that it's 1400 Lumens when the the Cree XPL-HI is a 10W LED with a MAX output of 1095 lumens?

See: http://www.cree.com/LED-Components-and-Modules/Products/XLamp/Discrete-Directional/XLamp-XPL-HI

10W * 3.7V = 2.7 amps... 9A is over 3 times more than necessary :)

Thanks!

First of all the LED is overdriven. So, we may assume it takes not 2.7A, but some 6A (non-linear dependance). Next, a battery capable of more current has less internal resistance, hence less internal losses, less heating, less voltage sag under load.

20W/3.7V=5.4A

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
just learned a valuable 14500 lesson. Always refer to your lights manual as to how long and or thick a 14500 the light can take. I failed to double check the tech spec page for my ET GX25A3 which can also take 14500's. The limit length wise for 14500's for the light is 51.2mm. The 840mah keeppowers I got are 55mm long thus the light does not work with them. Lesson learned.