Z2 or G2Z, which one and why???

Eagle1

Newly Enlightened
I am going to get one of these 2 lights, but am undecided! The price difference is only $5.00. Who has one or the other, and what do you like and/or dislike about it or them.
I have an L4, and use that for EDC use, I just want one of these combat lights, and I will be putting a P61 bulb in it for combat use!! Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

robstarr-lite

Newly Enlightened
i have the g2z ( and several g2s ).....keep a g2 with the p60 nearby as the p61 does not last long...after a couple of years i retired my g2z and now use it with a kl3 head although its a bit top heavy....there is an adaptor to run an extra cell but i have not been able to locate one..an17 i think is the number...no one seems to carry it ( i may cut a g2 and make one.overall i have several metal surefires but liked the feel of the g2z plus i like to think this rubber provides some extra shock protection....using the p61 in my g2z did not get too hot but then again the light only lasts 20 minutes!!

rob

Quasar

Newly Enlightened
Just throwing out some thoughts after comparing them at the surefire site.

I like the G2Z for these reasons: It's lighter. The nitrolon is more durable and won't get as hot or cold to the touch. More water resistant. The pyrex lens is better for the P61 LA(can't melt). Both have the lock-out tailcap feature.

I imagine most would say the Z2 is a better looking light tho.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I have handled a g2z as well as a z2. I walked away with a g2z. Why? My reasoning is close to Quasar's: lighter, more durable for carry, pyrex lense, its black and mean looking (lets face it - in cpf this is a must consideration /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif ) and when I drop it it wil give me more shock absorbtion than its z2 equivelent (not to mention it won't ding and scratch anywhere near as much) due to its light weight and slight flex. Both have excellent combat grips, but the g2z will probably be better to operate in colder climates instead of the metal.

Also if you are going to be using it for combat use, i.e. for use with a handgun then the added shock absorbtion provided by the g2z will protect the p61 lamp assembly more than a z2 would from recoil. In my opinion the g2z is the better choice.

Mind you, you also need to consider whether you're a 'steel' person or not, my uncle bought a 6p instead of a polymer model because he 'just likes steel better. '
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif BTW I was going to get a z2 as well for this reason, but i've decided on the 6pn instead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

By the way in terms of run time, i've had my g2z (running p61) for about six months and i'm still on the original batteries (although i think they're just at the stage where the light is beginning to dim). However I use my 8nx for general purpose lighting as well as my e1e and key lights. For the use that you have stated, 20 minutes is a looong run time for using any appropriate low light flashlight technique. Just keep your L4 handy as well as batteries and another p61 in a spares carrier and you're set!

You might want to check this out:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=362283&Forum=All_Forums&Words=g2z&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=4&Limit=50&Old=allposts&Main=361317&Search=true#Post362283

My apologies if you have to copy and paste this link: i'm still a learning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i'm off for some practice posting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hope this helps,
Cam

StuU

Enlightened
I have the G2Z. Got it at Xmas. I am very happy with the nitrolon construction. It has a solid metal tube throughout the battery pack which lends stiffness. I like the lanyard arrangement. P60 lamp is all I need for security at our rural place. The combat grip is superb. The switch is 100% functional. It will serve well as a bump in the night/security flashlight.

I also have the E2e. It's also a fantastic light. It is a top-of-class utility light for many different situations-especially good for daylight use where the ambient light dwarfs the light from lesser flashlight. However, the E2e can also function as a security light quite well but not quite as well as the G2Z.

Stu
----------------

One man's 'magic' is another man's engineering. 'Supernatural' is a
null word.

zumlin

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
robstarr-lite said:
there is an adaptor to run an extra cell but i have not been able to locate one..an17 i think is the number...no one seems to carry it

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the AN14, i have one on my G2, you can buy it from surefire directly or lpstactical. It costs $7 at LPS. If you're going to use it on the G2z, it's going to defeat the pupose of the rubber rings.

Lara

Newly Enlightened
I'd also take the G2Z for the same reasons that have already been mentioned. You get the Pyrex lens, and the nitrolon will not become scratched as easily. I edc an M2, and I really pay attention not to drop it on concrete or some other rough material because of that.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used a G2 since they first came out at the high prices. carried it everyday for over a year, dropped it, kicked and just generally abused it. Still looks near new . Now I have the G2Z and love the thing.

I have a Z3 waiting at home for me this weekend, so I'll have my 4th Surefire.

Does the AN14 allow the G2 to be run on 3 DL123's ? and if so then effectivly creating a 9v nitrolon. Or is this the adapter for the B65

Eagle1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all that replied. You guys are awesome, and have made me want the G2Z. I love the look of this light, and I was just a little hesitent to get the plastic version. (since all of my other lights are steel.) I really like the look of the OD green model!!!!

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
madecov said:
Does the AN14 allow the G2 to be run on 3 DL123's ? and if so then effectivly creating a 9v nitrolon. Or is this the adapter for the B65

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct the AN14 is the B65 adaptor however if you use a battery spacer you can also run three 123's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I think the G2Z is one of the best flashlights SureFire make. Without a shadow of a doubt I would get one over a Z2.
SureFire%20G2Z-OD%20G2Z-BK%20&%20E2e-Alpha%2064.jpg

The only Z2 I have is this one so it's not really very practical:
SureFire%20Z2%20Golden%2064.jpg

The G2Z is light-weight, more impact resistant, and has all the important features - Adjustable CombatGrip, LockOut TailCap, Lanyard, Pyrex Lens.
Most Z2's will still have a Lexan lens. If SureFire are shipping Z2's with Pyrex lenses then I would certainly require that to be confirmed on the one I was buying.

Al

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
what about the Z3. Is it lexan ?
I picked one up for $50.00 with spare lamp and batts. It was shipped last few days and will be in my hands in the next few hours

Is there a pyrex bezel I can order to replace the one with Lexan ?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
according to surefire's website the Z2 still comes with an "impact-proof lexan lens".

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
madecov: the Z3 should come with a lexan lens as well. you can order the black C2 bezel; it comes with a pyrex lens (easily identifiable by the notched nylon retaining ring).

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Surefire when I bought a Z2 direct from them for a military friend in December, the Z2 has come with a Pyrex lens for at least the last six months, the Z3 (I have one of those also, bought from a different source since Surefire no longer makes it) NEVER has had a Pyrex lens.

I keep meaning to see if Flashlightlens.com has replacements but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Bill

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
The better shock resistance of the G2Z is a key deciding factor. The P61/P60 lamp assemblies are both too expensive and too fragile. The G2Z's extra protection of the lamp assembly is important.

ygbsm

Enlightened
Here's another vote for the G2Z -- I had a couple of Z2s for years, but I don't even know where I put them. The G2Z is much better for all the reasons given above - lower weight better shock resistance easier to handle in the cold and Pyrex v. Lexan. One other thing -- the finish on the Z2s I had wore pretty rapidly and the lights looked pretty battered pretty fast. No such problem with the G2Z. I really like Nitrolon -- I just wish SF made more Nitrolon models.