Headlamp for Hike, Camp and Bike?

Alexi*

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm looking for a Headlamp for long (7-14 days) hike, bike and camp vacations.

Following Bolsters great advice, I have a comprised my list below:

1. Beam angle: I need both throw and flood (I think) for hiking and riding my bike along trails throw is needed, and in the camp flood is much more useful.

2. Battery type: AA ore Lithium USB rechargeable.

3. Battery placement: Light weight and front placement would be ideal so that I can use it while reading in the tent at night. Also it has to have a long runtime so I don't need to carry lots of extra batteries.

4. Beam tint: Preferably High CRI Neutral. If it also has a Red or Green for preserving night vision that would be great.

5. Brightness: If it could go down as low as 0,1 lumens that would be great. And up to a few hundred lumens so when needed I can light up things that are far away.

6. Runtime and regulation: As I said above, a long runtime is needed. And if it's easy to regulate even with gloves on, both angle and brightness that would be perfect.

7. Waterproof: At least heavy rain.

8. Headband: I have no experience here…

9. UI: Easy field use with gloves, don't need flashing. I prefer if I can set the brightness and angle before turning it on.

10. Price & Reliability: Below ~$200.

What I have found so far is that I like the UI of the Coast HL27, that has had some great reviews. But It has it battery pack in the back. "Only" goes down to 1 lumen all do that may be ok. Don't know about its waterproofing or tint. It's also a 3 year old model, so I'm sure there are newer better headlamps out there.

Do you have any sugestions?

parametrek

Enlightened
If you have a 0.1 lumen moonlight mode then you will not need red to preserve night vision.

If you had a $50 price limit my main suggestion would be the neutral white Thrunite TH10. It can do 0.2 lumens for 1560 hours on a single 18650 cell. But since you have a $200 limit, go for an Armytek or Zebralight headlamp. They both specialize in exactly the type of headlamp you are looking for, with dozens of versions based on AA vs 18650 vs CR123A, throw vs flood and cool vs neutral vs high CRI. They are priced in the $60-$100 range.

Alexi*

Newly Enlightened
Thanks parametrek!

The ThruNite TH20 looks to fit my list. :) No need to spend more then necessary. To bad they don't ship outside US.
The Armtyek Tiara A1 Pro, is more expensive and have a bit of a mixed review same whit the ZebraLight H502d L2...

hazza

Newly Enlightened
The Zebralight H502d doesn't sound like the right Zebralight model for you here, it doesn't throw at all. Check out the H52w instead :)