Inquiry : ANSI NEMA PLATO FL1

Esperologist

Newly Enlightened
So, I'm decently familiar with the ANSI/NEMA FL-1 Standards.

However, recently I've noticed that it is now being labeled the ANSI/PLATO FL-1 Standards or just PLATO FL-1 Standards.
Even Fenix has switched to calling ANSI/PLATO where they used to call it ANSI/NEMA.

Has anything in the standards actually changed?

Is NEMA still involved or did they back out?

Has PLATO been involved all along or did they jump in?

I tried looking this up online but I couldn't find anything newer than like 2014... or a PLATO site hosted PDF that Norton tells me has a virus in it.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Surefire website:

A recent and consumer-visible project of PLATO was the creation of the ANSI/NEMA FL-1 standards for portable lighting.

The standard is still the same, but some manufacturers just decided, to call it Plato FL-1 now, for some reason...

Yamabushi

Enlightened
The current standard is "ANSI/NEMA FL-1 - 2009" which is the 1st edition. The designation means that the standard is published by NEMA, and that it is approved by ANSI as a national standard.

NEMA attributes the standard to the Flashlight Standards Committee composed of Dorcy International, Princeton Tec, Coast, Surefire LLC, Golight, Petzl, The Brinkman Corporation, Energizer Holdings, ASP Inc., Streamlight Inc.,Cat Eye Co. Inc., Black Diamond, The Coleman Company Inc. and Duracell Inc.

A Flashlight Standards Committee member's company information sheet states "Test procedures are published by the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA). The standard is verified by the Portable Lights American Trade Organization (PLATO), a worldwide trade association of flashlight manufacturers. ... PLATO monitors reporting and verifies conformance to the standard."

Esperologist

Newly Enlightened
So, at this point, any and all of the above are valid? ANSI approved, NEMA published and PLATO verifies.
Oh... oh... I wonder if the transition to ANSI/PLATO instead of ANSI/NEMA is because the manufacturer doesn't really understand and was recently informed by PLATO that they were fudging the FL-1 reporting and thus either needed to fix it or stop using it.
Because of this, they may have figured that NEMA isn't part of the equation any more and swapped. I do note that the manufacturer is now reporting more information than before... beam throw distances and intensities at all output levels instead of just the max - missing the strobe output data beyond just the lumens. I've been suggesting this to a few manufacturers for at least a year now... and a few other things I'd like to see them report.