Best store for flashlights/headlamps

darklord

Newly Enlightened
Visiting the States soon (Kentucky) - just wondered what best general shop/store is for flashlights, headlamps and stuff....the kind of store you'll find in most major towns (general electronics/IT stores..??) If I see one I might stop by and see what they've got....more choice than UK I imagine ;)

Thanks.

KBobAries

Enlightened
Sorry, I can't help with specific stores in Kentucky but as for stores in general I'd see which gun shops are in the area. REI carries a few higher end flashlights (if there's one of those near where you'll be) and a huge selection of Black Diamond, Petzl, and Princeton Tec headlamps. I'm sure other medium-to-high end hunting/camping stores would as well. Wallyworld will have maglites.

Where will you be staying? Many hotels will accept packages for guests. I see you're in the UK and know from reading posts on CPF that many things are far costlier there than here. Is it possible for you to order things you know you want online the moment you get here so they'll arrive before your return flight?

FWIW,

Dan

Rutha73

Newly Enlightened
I was going to say REI also, but it doesn't look like KY has one. My next favorite place is Sportsmans warehouse, looks like the is one in Lexington. Don't know if that is near where you are staying
Suit 140
2200 War Admiral Way
Lexington, KY

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
here in Virginia its REI, ****s Sporting Goods and Gander Mountain. They dont have a huge selection but they do at least have say 3 or 4 Fenix and 3 or 4 Nitecores and possibly some Surefires. Oddly the only Maglites Ive seen in these stores are the Mag Tacs

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Darklord see if you can edit your post and put (Kentucky) in your thread title... It may attract some users browsing the forum who are familiar with what's available in that particular area/state.....

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
And when you get to Kentucky, remember UK doesn't mean United Kingdom. ;)

Electronics and appliance stores like Best Buy tend not to have much in the way of flashlights and such from what I've seen.

There is a Cabela's in Louisville and a Bass Pro Shop (the hillbilly equivalent of REI) across the river in Clarksville, Indiana.

Cabela's doesn't carry Surefire after an infringement lawsuit years ago.

If you make it over to the Oxmoor Center Mall in swanky St. Matthews, ****'s Sporting Goods has a decent selection of headlights.

Lights and gear at these places will tend to be full retail price in my experience (though still cheap by overseas standards, ask any Canadian :grin2:).

Amazon has same day shipping available in parts of Kentucky, their prices will be very competitive on most products.

The distillery tour to take is Woodford Reserve in Versailles (yep, Ver-sales) Kentucky. :thumbsup:

blankc72

Newly Enlightened
If you're going to be in the Ft Campbell/Hopkinsville area US Cavalry sells Elzetta and Surefire lights.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Batteries Plus bulbs sell Nebo, Streamlight, LED Lenser, Rayovac and lots of rechargeable batteries.

Home Depot and Lowes have Lux Pro, Coast and Mag products among other brands.

Wal Mart is a good place to find a variety of products.

And definitely check into local sporting goods n cop stores.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to be in the Ft Campbell/Hopkinsville area US Cavalry sells Elzetta and Surefire lights.

Do they have a store in that area? For years U.S. Cavalry had a shop in Radcliff near Ft. Knox (of Goldfinger fame). Now their website lists a Lexington address.

darklord

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, much appreciated; going keep an eye out for any of those store names. We'll be in the Mammoth cave area, so Louisville down to Bowling Green - sorry I wasn't more specific before.

Vox Clamatis... " And when you get to Kentucky, remember UK doesn't mean United Kingdom. ;) " ..... errrm, I don't think I'm up on local parlance! Go on, spill the beans..? ;)

blankc72

Newly Enlightened
Do they have a store in that area? For years U.S. Cavalry had a shop in Radcliff near Ft. Knox (of Goldfinger fame). Now their website lists a Lexington address.

Yes. They have one off of 41A the entire time that I lived there from 2009-2014. I'm sure they are still there outside of gate 4.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vox Clamatis... " And when you get to Kentucky, remember UK doesn't mean United Kingdom. ;) " ..... errrm, I don't think I'm up on local parlance! Go on, spill the beans..? ;)

UK around these parts generally means the University of Kentucky, a school in Lexington with a good basketball program and mediocre football team. Academics are an incidental pursuit, particularly among the athletes, it seems. :rolleyes: Of course, the rival University of Louisville has recently been embroiled in an athletic recruiting scandal involving allegations of a dormitory bordello catering to visiting high school basketball prospects. :eek:

The student athletes from both schools tend to be honor students. As in 'yes, Your Honor' and 'no, Your Honor'. :grin2:

Yes. They have one off of 41A the entire time that I lived there from 2009-2014. I'm sure they are still there outside of gate 4.

The U.S. Cavalry store in Radcliff was there for many years also but now it is shut down and the operation in Lexington appears to be mail order only.

Looks like the store outside Ft. Campbell is now 'permanently closed' as well: https://goo.gl/maps/88PZPTTjKon

darklord

Newly Enlightened
UK around these parts generally means the University of Kentucky, a school in Lexington with a good basketball program and mediocre football team. Academics are an incidental pursuit, particularly among the athletes, it seems. :rolleyes: Of course, the rival University of Louisville has recently been embroiled in an athletic recruiting scandal involving allegations of a dormitory bordello catering to visiting high school basketball prospects. :eek:

The student athletes from both schools tend to be honor students. As in 'yes, Your Honor' and 'no, Your Honor'. :grin2:

Thanks VC, interesting!! I'll have to watch my Ps and Qs, then.....or will they land me in it, too? ;)

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several outdoors shops down in Bowling Green to check for lights: Nat's, Cabela's, Gander Mountain and ****'s and all of the usual strip mall stores like Walmart, Lowe's, Best Buy and Home Depot.