CL30R-3-E_zpswfw5hhlg.jpg

CL30R-5-E_zpssmzayjpv.jpg

CL30R-6-E_zpsiuobhkul.jpg

CL30R-7-E_zpsju5kj0jx.jpg

CL30R-12-E_zpsyztownq2.jpg

Last edited:

snakyjake

Enlightened
For a family/friend operated light, I am strongly opposed to the clicky mode operation. I'd consider purchasing if it was a simple, intuitive rotary.
I'd also like a small red beacon light to easily find the light in the dark.

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a family/friend operated light, I am strongly opposed to the clicky mode operation. I'd consider purchasing if it was a simple, intuitive rotary.

Yes, the beacon light would be handy. The 25 has a glowing switch, but is only good for a little while after the light is gone.

Personally the clicky is fine ( I have the CL25R ) because a lantern for me is not carried but just sits mounted wherever I need it and I don't touch it.

camelight

Newly Enlightened
It looks great!
One of the few lanterns over 600 lumens and it working on 18650 not d cells

Poppy

Flashaholic
IMO most lanterns at 300 lumens are too bright and glarey. I wonder how well this light handles glare.

Its features look well thought out (like the abilty to be mounted on a tripod), battery charge indicator, and ability to use it to charge something that may be more important... like your cell phone. This lantern will stand out in the crowd.

It is a bit pricey though.

I imagine that in a year it's price will level out in the $69 area.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
But is it available with neutral emitters? Or better yet, high CRI? Fenix being Fenix, I think I know the answer.

Cool white + the great outdoors = NO GO!

fenix1

Newly Enlightened
Hi StorminMatt,the light of CL30R is neutral white.Thank you!
But is it available with neutral emitters? Or better yet, high CRI? Fenix being Fenix, I think I know the answer.

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree 100%. This would be the ideal situation for a rotary dimmer type switch. It would be much more convenient especially if the switch was on the side, like with the brightness dial on a propane lantern.

Beckler

Enlightened
I agree 100%. This would be the ideal situation for a rotary dimmer type switch. It would be much more convenient especially if the switch was on the side, like with the brightness dial on a propane lantern.

Really should be continuously variable like a gas lantern. No illuminated switch makes no sense because you *always* need to find the lantern in the dark, as opposed to flashlight which might be in pocket, etc. The battery indicators appear to be on the top? So they're thinking what, when it's hanging above you, you don't need to know the battery level? No, it's just that all of about 5 minutes goes into actually thinking about these designs before they send them to production. CL25 even worse - has power button on top! I returned that one because it's just too unrefined and randomly designed.

weklund

Enlightened
Just ordered one of these beauties for Fathers Day from https://www.fenixlighting.com/

88.00 including a free Batidora folding knife ... free shipping as well. I used my new customer code for a 20.00 discount.

I like the specs on this little powerhouse. UI seems perfect for my needs. Locator LED would have been a nice touch.

We shall see. I will post a follow up opinion once in hand.

My Trusty Coleman

Coleman.jpg

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be great. Does anyone make a neutral lantern?

There was a camping lantern that someone on BLF was trying to promote about a year ago. It only produces 300 lumens and runs on 3D. And I have to admit that the build is certainly not the most robust in the world - about what you would expect from a $30 Chinese made lantern. But that warm white tint from those Nichias is something else! It certainly makes up for alot of the shortcomings of that lantern.

weklund

Enlightened
Fenix CL30R arrived today and I must say I am very pleased. This compact rechargeable lantern puts out a lot of neutral white light. I am most impressed with the even transition of output through the 5 levels via the UI switch. Believe me turbo is plenty bright for most any outdoor use and will probably be called for sparingly ... very bright on turbo. This unit is built like a tank as are my CL25R and CL20. I am very happy with my purchase and will be putting this fine little lantern to work in Baja next month .... money well spent IMHO.

FENIXCL30_R1.jpg

FENIXCL30_R2.jpg

FENIXCL30_R3.jpg

FENIXCL30_R4.jpg

FENIXCL30_R5.jpg

ToddM

Enlightened
Interesting, hopefully they offer a version that doesn't force the buyer to spend $ on three 2600 mah 18650's. One thing I've noticed is that for typical camping, working at a table/bench etc. I don't mind the light lot having upward output, however for say power outages, and general indoors use I much prefer a light where you can put it say high on a shelf or fridge and it sends a significant about of light upward as well so you can use the ceiling bounce as well as the direct source light to more evenly light up an entire indoor space on a lower brightness setting. I use my CL20 that way quite a bit and the ultimate survival lanterns because you can remove the opaque diffuser to get not only 180 degrees horizontally but vertically.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

So true, I'm not even a warm tint guy but if I EVER thought warm was mandatory it would be with a camping space light!

Latest posts