Gear Review: ZTS MBT-1 Pulse Load Battery Tester

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the course of reviewing, I use rather a large number of primary and rechargeable cells. MyFenix generously sent Tactical Reviews a ZTS MBT-1 Pulse Load battery tester to help me keep track, and it has certainly proven its worth.

05%20ZTS%20probe%20out%20P1150583.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Statement for Transparency and Disclosure
The test sample/s featured in this article have been provided for technical testing and review by the manufacturer. Test samples are retained by the reviewer following publication of the completed review for the purposes of long term testing and product comparisons.

All output figures and test results published in this review are the sole work of the reviewer, and are carried out independently and without bias. Test results are reported as found, with no embellishments or alteration. Though best endeavours are made to maintain the accuracy of test equipment, the accuracy of these results is not guaranteed and is subject to the test equipment functioning correctly.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taking a more detailed look:

Unlike many blister packs, the MBT-1 has an easy to open blister pack as it is closed by moulded poppers. This means you can use to store the MBT-1 in if you want.
01%20ZTS%20boxed%20P1150570.jpg

There are two information leaflets included with the MBT-1.
02%20ZTS%20unboxed%20P1150577.jpg

On the front panel are a set of contacts for the positive terminals of the various cells to be placed onto when testing them.
03%20ZTS%20front%20P1150578.jpg

Tucked away neatly along the side is a test probe and its wire.
04%20ZTS%20probe%20stowed%20P1150580.jpg

The probe pops out easily for use.
05%20ZTS%20probe%20out%20P1150583.jpg

A closer look at the probe tip.
06%20ZTS%20probe%20tip%20P1150587.jpg

This battery tester, runs on 4xAA batteries fitted into a compartment on the back.
07%20ZTS%20back%20cover%20off%20P1150592.jpg

There is a simple display showing percentages from 10% to 100% capacity.
09%20ZTS%20display%20P1150602.jpg

In case you misplace the instructions, there is a reminder on the front panel.
10%20ZTS%20method%20P1150603.jpg

I'm not going to list all the exact cells as they are in the picture, but the tester works with Li-ion, various button cells, NiMh....
11%20ZTS%20types%20P1150606.jpg

...loads more coin cells, Energizer L91 and L92, 1.5V Alkaline...
12%20ZTS%20types%20P1150608.jpg

...12V and 6V Alkaline and 9V Alkaline.
13%20ZTS%20types%20P1150609.jpg

Troubleshooting

This section is included to mention any minor niggles I come across during testing, in case the information helps anyone else.

No issues were encountered during testing.

As per the description of this section, this information is provided in case anyone else finds a similar 'issue' that might be fixed in the same way.

The MBT-1 in use

Even moderate battery users are going to appreciate the MBT-1. It is easy enough to lose track of which cells are which and then have to start again with new cells or recharging cells. Not so with the MBT-1 as it is so quick and easy to test a cell and find out its real condition. You can also check cells in remote controls, doorbells and other devices that would otherwise have no indication of the condition of the batteries.

Remember, this is not a voltage based tester, it is a pulse load tester. Cells can often recover their voltage when not loaded, so the reason this tester has so many test contact points for different cells, is because it is actually loading the cell to truly test how it responds when it will actually have to do some work (so needs to use the different responses at each contact point to work out the percentage).

Notice in this photo I have marked an X on the cell with a sharpie to indicate it has been used for a runtime test. Normally I simply discard these cells as I've taken the test light down to the ANSI cut-off, but as you can see here the MBT-1 has revealed that this cell still has 20% capacity left. Perfectly fine to use for some low output backup lights and not yet ready for the recycle bin.
08%20ZTS%20testing%20cr123%20P1150599.jpg

I've even found that it can be worth testing new cells as I've had some turn out not to be matched perfectly for use in multi-cell lights.

The testing methodology is that even during the first set of pulse loads the cell may have recovered and give a false reading, so the recommendation is to test each cell three times. That last reading is the most accurate.

No more guessing with straight voltage readings, simple quick and effective testing.

Review Summary

For this section, please go to the Exclusive Content at Tactical Reviews, but remember to return to this forum to discuss the review.

A big thanks to MyFenix for supporting Tactical Reviews with this ZTS MBT-1 Battery Tester (MyFenix is the Official UK Fenix Distributor).

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed, at $90 this is one of the most overpriced gadgets in existence. You can get far more accurate results using a multimeter and a resistor (esp. if you use a resistor that represents the average load of your device) and you have a discharge curve at that load (either from a datasheet, or graphed yourself). A bit less convenient than the ZTS MBT-1, but far more accurate, and 50x cheaper (or free if you already have a DMM and resistors). You can also use a hobby/analyzing charger or small electronic load, most all of which are cheaper than the MBT-1, and offer far more functionality.

Btw, a real "DreamCharger" would either implement such "fuel gauge" tests, or be easily programmed for such, so that the community could easily swap fuel gauge algorithms for common cells.

Last edited:

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Item is well-made, simple to operate, convenient, useful, and reasonably accurate. Priced accordingly.

Can't possibly be very accurate since it doesn't know cell chemistry, or device load, etc. This is a low end analog of devices like Cadex analyzers (the company behind BatteryUniversity), which they sell to the military for tens of thousands of dollars. But, hey, if you can sell them toilet seats for hundreds of dollars, imagine how much you can jack up the price of electronics items. As they say, there's a sucker born every minute...

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed, at $90 this is one of the most overpriced gadgets in existence. You can get far more accurate results using a multimeter and a resistor (esp. if you use a resistor that represents the average load of your device) and you have a discharge curve at that load (either from a datasheet, or graphed yourself). A bit less convenient than the ZTS MBT-1, but far more accurate, and 50x cheaper (or free if you already have a DMM and resistors). You can also use a hobby/analyzing charger or small electronic load, most all of which are cheaper than the MBT-1, and offer far more functionality.

You can get accurate DMMs for less than $10, or you can pay $100s for a high end one. Which do you have?

I'd agree it appears expensive, but I would not recommend people short their battery with a resistor - get it wrong and you have a very hot resistor and possibly very crisp skin on your fingers (people will hold the resistor with their fingers). You then talk about making your own discharge curve, which is well beyond most people. Also if you look at all the cells that can be tested, are you really going to create your own discharge graph or get the datasheet for all those cells when you can just pop it onto the MBT-1 and get a reading straight away?

IF you are a totally dedicated enthusiast, IF you have sufficient technical knowledge, IF you have the time to create and reference all that data, and IF you can be bothered, then all power to you. Geekyness is definitely strong in this one, and I certainly can't be bothered with all that. My time is worth more to me.

Yes it might be expensive, but what you are paying for is convenience, simplicity and safety. ZTS did all of the work you have suggested for you.

For light users, it won't be worth considering as the cost outweighs simply discarding some cells, but for medium to heavy users, it will be useful, quick and easy.

I'm not saying it is a must-have item, but I would buy it, and continue to use it almost daily.

It will definitely suit a lot of people who should not be put off buying one because some people think it is overpriced and not worth it. Remember what most people think about our lights being worth what they are!!!

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
You can get accurate DMMs for less than $10, or you can pay $100s for a high end one. Which do you have?

Yes, I am also curious about how much you are willing @Gauss163 to spend for your DMM (and which brand and model you prefer) , since you've made an issue of pricing.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Were are they for $90 that`s £64 the UK site below has them for £99.95 :ohgeez:

http://www.myfenix.co.uk/zts-multu-mbt-pulse-load-battery-tester

I have an Ansmann Energy Check LCD for £30-35 while it does not check as wide a range of cells and chemistrys.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000KHVKV6/

John.

Btw, a real "DreamCharger" would either implement such "fuel gauge" tests, or be easily programmed for such, so that the community could easily swap fuel gauge algorithms for common cells.

Last edited:

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not a good analogy because what differentiates low vs high end multimeters does not apply here. The only reason that ZTS can get away with such ridiculous price gouging is that the Chinese haven't yet produced a cheaper version. But, thankfully, one will probably appear soon.

I'd agree it appears expensive, but I would not recommend people short their battery with a resistor - get it wrong and you have a very hot resistor and possibly very crisp skin on your fingers (people will hold the resistor with their fingers).

Oh c'mon, it is trivial to duplicate the same type of testing harness used in the ZTS, or any analogous harness that doesn't require that the user hold the resistor.

You then talk about making your own discharge curve, which is well beyond most people ...

The point is that with the DIY approach one can easily attain much higher accuracy if one so desires, which is not possible using the MBT-1.

Yes it might be expensive, but what you are paying for is convenience, simplicity and safety. ZTS did all of the work you have suggested for you.

No they didn't, since the ZTS fuel gauge is much more crude than what can be achieved by DIY.

The ZTS MBT-1 is about as overpriced as a $640 toilet seat. It will be history once the $10 clones arrive.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Not a good analogy because what differentiates low vs high end multimeters does not apply here. The only reason that ZTS can get away with such ridiculous price gouging is that the Chinese haven't yet produced a cheaper version. But, thankfully, one will probably appear soon.

Oh c'mon, it is trivial to duplicate the same type of testing harness used in the ZTS, or any analogous harness that doesn't require that the user hold the resistor.

The point is that with the DIY approach one easily attain much higher accuracy if one so desires, which is not possible using the MBT-1.

No they didn't, since the ZTS fuel gauge is much more crude than what can be achieved by DIY.

The ZTS MBT-1 is about as overpriced as a $200 toilet seat. It will be history once the $10 clones arrive.

Since it is trivial, perhaps you could build and sell something similar for $10 ... or, a rather better version, with the improvements you mention ?

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ZTS MBT-1 is about as overpriced as a $200 toilet seat. It will be history once the $10 clones arrive.

In YOUR opinion, based on YOUR values and skills. You will not be persuaded otherwise, nor do I wish to.

It definitely does have a place in the market. Be careful suggesting that anyone buying it is a 'sucker', as that is not true.

So, just to be clear, you support the oppression of innovation by encouraging the makers of cheap clones who have had no R&D costs or original ideas of their own?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the ZTS Mini, and love it. I got it on sale for around $30 several years ago, and it has proved invaluable. I would really like to be able to test Li-Ion cells, but my need doesn't cover the ~$100 for this model. I have a nice DMM that works fine instead.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
In YOUR opinion, based on YOUR values and skills. You will not be persuaded otherwise, nor do I wish to. It definitely does have a place in the market.

The only reason that ZTS can get away with such extreme price gouging is that, strangely, they currently have no competition in the marketplace. That is a fluke. Once decent competition appears they will be forced to charge much less.

So, just to be clear, you support the oppression of innovation by encouraging the makers of cheap clones who have had no R&D costs or original ideas of their own?

Quite a non sequitur inference. But since you raise the topic, there is ZERO innovation in the ZTS MBT-1 (even the price gouging is not innovative!)

Last edited:

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ansmann Energy Check LCD i have is supposedly banned in the US anybody know why.

Probably because ZTS has attempted to patent everything and anything to do with such types of battery testers, and we all know how easy it is to get bogus patents in USA. That's probably why there is little competition, and why US consumer's have to pay 10x the market price. Iirc there was discussion about this long ago elsewhere. Let me see if I can dig it up....

Last edited:

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a link to the ZTS 1999 patent. It is absolutely ludicrous that a patent was granted for this well-known testing technique. Probably the only reason that the patent still stands is that no one has thought it worth the money to challenge it. That explains the ZTS monopoly and extreme price gouging. Personally I will never purchase products from companies that engage in such despicable patent abuse, and I recommend that you don't either.

Below is the abstract.

ZTS said:
US 6823274 B2 Apparatus and method for testing remaining capacity of a battery

Abstract An apparatus and method of determining remaining capacity in a battery, including the following steps:

• detecting the presence of a battery within one of a plurality of specified terminals;
  • automatically initiating a timed pulse load test on the battery upon detection in a terminal;
  • continuously passing current from the battery through a specified resistive load for the terminal;
  • measuring a voltage of the battery while under the resistive load;
  • comparing the measured voltage to a discharge voltage profile of the battery;
  • and, computing the measured voltage as a percent of remaining battery capacity.

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I am also curious about how much you are willing @Gauss163 to spend for your DMM (and which brand and model you prefer) , since you've made an issue of pricing.

I'd like to know also.

It seems the answer lies in his refusal to answer the question.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to know also. It seems the answer lies in his refusal to answer the question.

That's a red herring. As I remarked above, the DMM analogy is not good, because for DMMs market competition is not strangled by an undeserved patent, so one is actually paying for added features, safety etc (the ZTS MBT-1 would be a low-end tester if the competition was not completely stifled by the above-linked ridiculous patent).

But to satisfy your curiosity my handheld DMMs have included everything from low end models like Harbor Freight freebies and UT61E, up to higher end stuff like the 500000 count Brymen BM869, and many in-between (I've long lost count).

The ZTS price gouging has nothing to do with feature differentiation and everything to do with patent abuse.

If there were a DMM analogy it would be Fluke having a US patent for the idea of a handheld DMM and suing the pants off everyone else who built a handheld DMM. Then the cheapest handheld DMM available in USA would be the cheapest Fluke (> $100). That's exactly what is happening with these battery testers.

If not for the patent abuse, a battery tester like the MBT-1 would probably cost no more than $30 and, like for DMMs, there would be a wide-spectrum of models with many features. But such innovation has been completely stifled by the bogus ZTS patent (alas, such patent abuse occurs too frequently),

Last edited: