Rethinking Arc4 Line Brightness Approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Peter,

At first I was in support of the output-based Arc4 approach. All Arc4 lights have the same output. All that varies is the runtime and how soon they thermally cycle at the higher settings.

Now I'm having second thoughts, particularly after contemplating the Arc4x (the sale of which I think you handled well). Part of the charm of the Arc4 is that the user decides whether to go for runtime & longevity or go supernova. The way it's been set up, though, the only people who really have that choice is Arc4 owners. They can pop their lights to Level 1 and thermally trip in 20 seconds. Can't ask for more than that! Maximum performance of the emitter/heatsink/battery assembly. Arc4+ owners, on the other hand, pay $30 more to get a light that loafs around governed to the same maximum output – a task for which it is overqualified. Here's my concept:

-- Arc tests each light and sets Level 1 so that the light will thermally trip after 20 seconds of operation when operated at 90F without being held in a hand. Arc may not have the procedures and equipment in place to do this easily, but I think they could be developed. Pack each light with test results and a statement that the customer's thermal trip points may differ from Arc's based on operational conditions.

-- After testing and setting, the output of each light at Level 1 is engraved or stamped on the light.

-- Lights are priced "by the lumen". Start at $5 per lumen. You might have to set up lumen categories to simplify matters. An emitter that barely snuck into Lumileds P line might put out 25 lumens and go for $125. An exceptional R might push the meter to 50 lumens and go for $250.

This pricing approach might help you at both low and high ends of the market. You would pick up sales at the low end from people who want the light's features but don't need the greatest output. Top performing lights, on the other hand, would get fair dollar for their performance. The width and depth of Arc's market share would increase.

Just a thought. Maybe a wacky one. It would be neat to see the price per lumen drop over the years as emitters become more efficient and your production process matures.

adimag

Newly Enlightened
I like the idea. It would put the Arc4 closer to my price range if I could pay for it "by the lumen." Although, I think this would be a testing and sorting nightmare for Arc. Peter would probably have to charge a "sorting fee" for the additional man hours it would take to test, sort, label, and pack with test results. However, if Peter and Arc would take on such a project, I think it would open the Arc4 to a lot more people.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
would save me a sh**load of money too

Ditto.

This way you can tailor a set of lights or a light to a specific crowd. Call it: iARC or Myarc. Or something.

As much as I agree: In real time / real world I think this would be a hard sell.

Brian

paulr

Flashaholic
I posted this in another thread, but basically I think level 1 should be the same brightness for all lights, which means it should be the dimmest level rather than the brightest. 1/8th of a lumen would be a good level for level 1. The levels would be precisely calibrated to be 1/2 stop apart, so level 17 would be 32 lumens and level 18 would be 45 lumens. That way a normal Arc4 would go to level 17, a 4x could go to 18, an overdriven 5 watt Arc5 could go to 20, and a future adjustable 5mm light at Arc AAA brightness would be at level 10.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I follow your thinking and think you may be on to something, but doesn't Arc somewhat hit the lower end market by offering seconds?

alanhuth

Newly Enlightened
so some day we could see:

FS: ARC4/27
WTB: ARC4/30 or higher
WTB: LNIB ARC4, will pay $7.50/lumen over 25
WTT: two ARC4/25s for one ARC4/35+

Lots of issues for Peter, but it would be fun for us. The collector value of rare high-lumen lights could go WAY up.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see both sides of the argument here. As a consumer, I would like to get the best and brightest and I'd pay more for it. From the producer's standpoint, standardization is good, and currently there is the 4+ for the brightest and in the near future, the standard 4.

I would have liked to have gotten one of the x models for the sole fact that I can have the maximum number of lumens available for the highes setting when I need it. Normally, I don't need super bright and don't always want it, but if I'm on setting 6 but I want to see what's what, I can always overdrive it, and that's what I'm loving about the Arc4+ second I bought.
$120 for a second is cool, but $180 for only a hair better is just too much for me. If I can get a light that's %30 brighter or better on the brightest setting than the one I have now, then the $180 would be worth it.

Am I always going to run it on the brightest setting all the time? No, but I'd like the option.
Am I going to overheat the led when on high? No, I only use it when I need it and it's usually for less than 10 seconds.
Am I going to complain that I sucked my batteries dry too fast? Doubtfull...but some people out there will do all the above, and Peter's just trying to protect his company--there is a lifetime warranty to think about here.

It's just like owning a sports car or a sports bike. Yeah, I paid premo bucks to have this thing because of what it is and what it can do, and I know it can do 120 or better without a problem, but that doesn't mean I'm going to floor it every time I hit the highway. And I'm not going to complain that the gas mileage sucks when I'm racing along, either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But the sad thing is that some people out there do just that...

-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.