Anyone Got A Led Lenser P5r.2 - Runtime Query

Witterings

Enlightened
Has anybody got one of the P5r.2 rechargeable's .... I'm trying to find out how realistic the quoted run times are as every other approx 250 / 300 lumen 14500 torch seems to last about 45 / 50 mins and yet the manufacturers are quoting 4 hrs on high power.

I know a lot of the time LED Lenser quote run time down to 1 lumen which you can do with primary batteries but I'm guessing they're using a protected 14500 so you should get pretty much full power until it just cuts out?????

If anybody knows / can help really would be appreciated!!!

TCY

Enlightened
I don't own a P5R.2 but afaik many of the older Led Lenser models are equipped with direct drive circuit, which means brightness constantly goes down as battery is being drained. With no current regulation the claimed 4 hours runtime is probably achievable but expect the light to put out less than half of 270 lumens for at least half of the runtime.

Witterings

Enlightened
If I got a good 2 hrs at pretty much full power I must admit I'd be pretty happy with that ... I love my little Sipik SK 68 but it only lasts approx 40 mins on high and I do use it quite a bit so to potentially get a decent output for 3x's as long with something that's a similar size with focus I'd be quite a happy bunny.

I really like the little M3R as well but that's only quoted as 2 hrs so I guess it'd only be good for approx 1 hr which isn't really an improvement.

Sorry I'm typing as I think .... the SK 68 is pretty much full power until the voltage protection just cuts it out ..... I'm guessing they're not using a direct drive circuit and that's why the lensers get
dimmer ????

TCY

Enlightened
Direct drive means that your P5R.2 is only going to put out the full 270 lumens for the first second, then its output goes down. eg. at the one hour mark it puts out 200 lumens instead of 270. Not that you will notice some dramatic dimming effects though... 200 and 270 looks almost identical without direct comparison.

Picture this:
A casual jogger decides to go for it, starts to run at the fastest speed possible, gets tired after just a few seconds. He slows down for a bit and keeps slowing down as he gets more tired, this process keeps going on until he can't move anymore and stops. This is direct drive.

A more seasoned jogger keeps his speed for, lets say an hour. During this period he gets tired too but he tries harder so he can maintain speed whereas the casual jogger slows down to make his life easier. After an hour he just stops running. This is what regulated circuit does.

Witterings

Enlightened
In other words looks like I'm not going to find out until I try it and at the cost they are it could be quite an expensive mistake ... whilst I don't mind spending that amount if it achieves exactly what I want it's not like it's a £5 you can forget about if it doesn't ...... hmmm decisions :thinking:

Witterings

Enlightened
Direct drive means that your P5R.2 is only going to put out the full 270 lumens for the first second, then its output goes down. eg. at the one hour mark it puts out 200 lumens instead of 270. Not that you will notice some dramatic dimming effects though... 200 and 270 looks almost identical without direct comparison.

Picture this:
A casual jogger decides to go for it, starts to run at the fastest speed possible, gets tired after just a few seconds. He slows down for a bit and keeps slowing down as he gets more tired, this process keeps going on until he can't move anymore and stops. This is direct drive.

A more seasoned jogger keeps his speed for, lets say an hour. During this period he gets tired too but he tries harder so he can maintain speed whereas the casual jogger slows down to make his life easier. After an hour he just stops running. This is what regulated circuit does.

This was a great analogy that I could really relate to .... I did buy one but I have to say ... not impressed ... it sprints for about 5 mins - 270 lumens and then must drop to a steady jog around 100 lumens which is probably how they get their extended run time and hope nobody notices :whistle: but just doesn't tick the box at that level even if it ran for 2 weeks .... looks like it's a return heading their way ... shame!!!!