Looking for Preon 2 w/Nichia high CRI for gifting to doctor

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
As title says, I'm looking to buy a Preon 2 w/Nichia 219 high CRI. This will be for a doctor. I already have a new Preon 2, but it is XPG R5 version. Apparently the Nichia emitter is much better for doctors.

I have been looking all over and cannot locate a Preon 2 with the Nichia 219 emitter. Does anyone know if these are still available, or if they will ever be made again? Or perhaps there is a suitable replacement?

Many thanks, Dave F.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
last time i had one was from Illumn.
would be good if another new run was made.
i used mine on the flight deck and checks.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Highly doubt Foursevens will do Hi-CRI or neutral again. The only way is if a dealer orders a large quantity like illumn.com did with the Nichia Preons.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Oh crap... thanks for replies. I was hoping it was not one of the special runs. I guess I will just give him my standard Preon 2 that I have.

Many thanks!!

-

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear the new copper Preon has a removable pill for easy modification. Added bonus is that copper is antimicrobial, great for a doctor. It's a single cell light instead of the double cell Preon 2, and it has a forward clicky instead of reverse. I'm not sure if the standard, new Preon 2 also has the non-glued pill.

gunga

Flashaholic
The old preons are usually moddable. I've done a few lately. The glue can be tricky but it's hit and miss.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
> I'm looking to buy a Preon 2 w/Nichia 219

I do not recommend lights that use Pulses, such as the Preon

here are a couple single AAA and single AA suggestions, for non pulsed lights with Nichia LED.

I recommend the Copper Lumintop Tool with Nichia. Mode sequence is M-L-H of 18-3-80
since it starts on medium, I consider it very practical for office use where there is not full darkness

I have a couple for sale if you want the ReyLight version whose mode sequence is L-M-H of 1-18-80, PM me if interested, brand new in a sealed package. Starting on Low first is preferred by flashaholics, because it wont blind you on its first mode, if turned on in full darkness.

fwiw, there is also a Titanium version of the Lumintop Tool, also with Nichia. I do not recommend it as it is not germicidal and imo the flush switch button is harder to use. OTOH, a doctor is likely to really like Titanium, which stays clean and shiny looking, more than copper that gets tarnished and some people think it looks dirty.

Copper is antibacterial though, Titanium is not.

since you asked for a 2AAA light, and I dont know of any with no Pulses and High CRI, I recommend as an alternative, the L11c from L3 Illumination. It comes with a Nichia option in Aluminium, and uses a single AA battery. Mode sequence LMH of 3-30-140.. this is a really versatile light. imo the modes are very good for medical use. It has an excellent tailswitch also. Its slightly heavier than the Tool, but the pocket clip position of the L11c is far superior.

very kind of you to shop for a gift, I hope you find one your recipient likes

Erik1213

Enlightened
I have a like new Prion 2 (black body) special edition with the Nichia emitter if you're interested. Just PM me.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might look at the copper astrolux a01. It has the more desirable 4000k 219b.